Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2020, 12:33 PM   #1

Shore Power Cord

On a 2018 Greyhawk is it best to pull out all of the electric cord when hooking up to campground power post ?I read somewhere this would help when pulling heavy amp loads, to keep the cord from getting to warm. Is it better than keeping cord coiled up in the storage box ?
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:24 PM   #2

Best to pull out all the cord every time you have the camper plugged in. You should never have the cord coiled when power is being used.

All kinds of reasons why. Heat generation is the main issue due to resistance.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:24 PM   #3

Yes, pull the cord out all the way, don't leave it coiled up.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Best to pull out all the cord every time you have the camper plugged in. You should never have the cord coiled when power is being used.

All kinds of reasons why
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
Yes, pull the cord out all the way, don't leave it coiled up.
Just like the owner's manual says to do.....
Old 09-11-2020, 02:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post

All kinds of reasons why. Heat generation is the main issue due to resistance.
Do you know of any documented test showing temperature rise or resistance increase cause by coiling the cable versus having it straight?

Not looking for a debate just asking the question.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
Do you know of any documented test showing temperature rise or resistance increase cause by coiling the cable versus having it straight?

Not looking for a debate just asking the question.
Right from the web:

Why does a coiled cable get hot?
If you roll up wire into a coil, such as an extension lead and then plug in an appliance, you will find the wire starts to get hot to the touch. This is because of the resistance and magnetic field produced by the electricity passing through the coiled wire.

2nd article

Coiled cables restrict airflow to the cable, reducing the ability of heat transferred to the air to be dissipated by convection. That may cause the temperature of that air to exceed the rated ambient air temperature and reduce the ability for the heat to be removed from the wire. Additionally, the adjacent coils of wire are adding their own heat load to the same air, further increasing the temperature and risking damage much more quickly.

For this reason, extension cords on reels will have a maximum current rating when extended and a much reduced current rating when coiled.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Right from the web:

Why does a coiled cable get hot?
If you roll up wire into a coil, such as an extension lead and then plug in an appliance, you will find the wire starts to get hot to the touch. This is because of the resistance and magnetic field produced by the electricity passing through the coiled wire.

2nd article

Coiled cables restrict airflow to the cable, reducing the ability of heat transferred to the air to be dissipated by convection. That may cause the temperature of that air to exceed the rated ambient air temperature and reduce the ability for the heat to be removed from the wire. Additionally, the adjacent coils of wire are adding their own heat load to the same air, further increasing the temperature and risking damage much more quickly.

For this reason, extension cords on reels will have a maximum current rating when extended and a much reduced current rating when coiled.
The DC resistance of the wire isn't going to change in any meaningful way whether it's straight or coiled (maybe not measurable with a standard ohm meter). My thinking would be that the impedance of the coil created by having the cable wound would also be low at 50/60Hz (based on my understanding of the impedance versus frequency of inductors). That said my guess is the major issue with having the cord wound is going to be its impact on heat dissipation rather than any changes in the characteristics of wire or how the flow of A/C current through the wire is generating heat.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
Old 09-11-2020, 07:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
The DC resistance of the wire isn't going to change in any meaningful way whether it's straight or coiled (maybe not measurable with a standard ohm meter). My thinking would be that the impedance of the coil created by having the cable wound would also be low at 50/60Hz (based on my understanding of the impedance versus frequency of inductors). That said my guess is the major issue with having the cord wound is going to be its impact on heat dissipation rather than any changes in the characteristics of wire or how the flow of A/C current through the wire is generating heat.
The Magnetic Field is also at issue. I didn't write it, those are direct quotes from the experts on line.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The Magnetic Field is also at issue. I didn't write it, those are direct quotes from the experts on line.
The magnetic field referenced in the quote causes the impedance (measured in ohms) referenced in my post. Changes in frequency will cause an increase or decrease in the coil impedance. At 50/60Hz the impedance is going to be very low and not have much impact on the heating effect of current passing through the wire. My thinking is the total resistance of the wire (DC resistance and impedance) isn't going to be significantly impacted based on whether the wire is straight or coil and the major factor with respect to heating is going to be the difference in heat dissipation between a straight cable (free airflow over the length of the cable) versus a wound cable where there is not free airflow over the length of the cable.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC