Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #1

Cool Shower Size, living arrangement Pros/Cons PLS!

Please tell me your pros and cons for each:

2 deciding factors in my new class C:

1) 24x36 show or the 30x36 shower?

2) dinnete and sofa across from each other or side by side?
mblorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:00 PM   #2

We enjoy the across from each other option. It allows for a more natural conversation when one is sitting at the dinette and one on the couch. We've never owned a side by side so I can't compare. Our first trailer had that config and we just have stuck with it.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:12 PM   #3

Thinking the same thing, but the trade off for that is that we get the 24x36 shower. Pretty tight fit
mblorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:29 PM   #4

My 2 cents, which value may vary, I'd always opt for the bigger shower.

Andy, Sherrie, Dixie, and Daisy
2020 Jayco 336FBOK Modern Farmhouse
2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 SRW Duramax 10 speed GM/ Allison
CURT Q20 on R20 Slider
AndyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:43 PM   #5

+1 on the bigger shower.

I've had the side-by-side arrangement on both of my rigs, and while I recognize the other arrangement is better, I value shower size more. If we're sitting around in the living area, we're either watching TV or eating at the dinette or playing a game at the dinette. If we're just hanging out talking, we usually do that outside.

The shower in my TT was almost as big as the one in my S&B home. The one in my MH is the larger one, but still A LOT smaller than the one in the trailer, and I don't think I could deal with the smaller one, but then I'm a big guy, and we use that shower EVERY night we stay in the rig.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #6

For me, a small shower is difficult due to my height. I need more space to bend over to clean my lower legs and feet. We have a small shower in our TT, and I never use it.

Seating, I'm not picky about the orientation. My rule, I want two separate seating areas. The over all flow needs to be good. I do like to be table to use the table during meal prep as an extra work surface.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:32 PM   #7

-As others have said, bigger is better for the shower. Although, I don't think 24x36 vs 30x36 would be a deal breaker if all of the other boxes are ticked.

-For dinette and sofa, we definitely prefer the side by side arrangement because it typically leads to more counter space on the opposite side of the coach.
watchout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:41 PM   #8

Take both of those showers for a test drive... I say - "full on Test drive." Bring a towel... Once you try both... (((We already know the answer))) Let us know!!!!

Oh... and drop the bar of soap while you are in there...
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:23 AM   #9

Shower V Dinette

It depends on whether or not you use the shower! I know plenty of people never use their camper shower; they use the campground facilities instead. So, for them, the size of the shower/tub makes no difference.

I prefer the dinette across from the sofa. It promotes a more comfortable conversation arrangement. Conversations outdoors are the best - when the weather permits. But when it rains or snows . . . I'm just sayin'!

Whichever you choose, HAPPY CAMPING!
Old 05-22-2020, 04:32 AM   #10

I’d go with the bigger shower.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:19 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

I vote for the bigger shower, my rig has the larger one, those few extra inches makes a difference.

I can't comment on the sofa, as my short rig doesn't have one. But, my two front seats spin around and face the rear, so if we want different seating than the dinette, we can sit in them. Seriously think about the rotating front seats!

One last point that wasn't mentioned, I recommend a queen size bed on a slide, that you can access from different sides, versus a full size that they jamb into a corner. Having to climb over the end of the bed on the full size is a real pain.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblorenz View Post
Please tell me your pros and cons for each:

2 deciding factors in my new class C:

1) 24x36 show or the 30x36 shower?

2) dinnete and sofa across from each other or side by side?
First, bigger shower especially during these times. We were the type that usually used the campground bathhouse but due to COVID 19 have changed our thinking.

Next, how many people will be in the RV conversing at any given time? Seating across from each other is great if there are more than 2 people sitting and conversing at any given time. With 2 or 3 people it doesn't matter since you can all sit in the same area. In this case what are the tradeoffs to one configuration over the other, and there will be trade offs in the floor plan design.

Bottom line, and most important buy the floorpan that works for you. Not matter what anyone else says it is your purchase and you will have to live with that decision. Trust your instincts and judgement and not how others have decided to roll. Buying a floorpan based on other peoples recommendations can be extremely costly if you determine after one or two trips that the floorpan is not right for you.

Also, final point, consider how the floorpan works while stationary (all slides out) and when traveling (all slides retracted). Can you move around and get to the bathroom or sit and have lunch without letting the slide out during a rest stop. It is surprising how many rigs do not allow adequate movement inside while traveling.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #13

As long as you can bend down in the shower and pick stuff up and turn around without knocking something out, a smaller one is fine for me.

Across works better for my family. Just like in a car, if they can't touch each other it helps. Of course then they are arguing about who has the table to draw on and who has the binder in the lap to draw on. The seats are not too comfortable, so if its nice outside we won't be indoors. I also like the dinette for seat belt positioning. Facing forward and backward vs to the side.

I'd go with more living space as long as the smaller shower is not too small for you (and whoever else uses it) to get cleaned up without knocking stuff out or down all the time. As previous post mentioned and as silly as it sounds, get the biggest person in there and try it out.

Tags
living arrangement, pros/cons, shower size