Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2016, 02:31 PM   #1

So tired of the electric cord..fixed now..

I was so tired of fishing the cord out the hole of the bottom of the rv and back in..I was also worried that the cord was hard wired into the rv..so I changed it out to a outlet and a plug..costs about $30 and took about 20 minutes..I hope that if I do forget to unplug it the damage won't be as bad,but I hope that will never happen..hope this helps you..
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Mudduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #2

Nice mod! Yeah, that is a pain. I quit pulling that thing out long ago! I just stick the factory plug through the hole, then connect to the post with a nice 30' 30A cord. So much better....

2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:39 PM   #3

Love the mod Mudduck. I'm using it. Thanks!!!

- James
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:54 PM   #4

Heat buildup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedown St. View Post
Nice mod! Yeah, that is a pain. I quit pulling that thing out long ago! I just stick the factory plug through the hole, then connect to the post with a nice 30' 30A cord. So much better....
I am no electrician... And some times wonder how much truth there is to some of the cautionary tales we hear... But my understanding is that not pulling the entire length of cord out while plugged in represents a fire hazard resulting from the heat build up in a confined space.

I like the mod above and would consider that before I would leave the 25' of factory cord coiled inside the cabinet.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:01 PM   #5

I shake my head at some of the stupid things that are dropped on us. I have had some problems with my 2016 Gray Hawk DS, but I am mostly impresses at the over all quality of the unit.
This is one of those shake my head things....
On my to do list is removing the door to this compartment and cutting a "U" shaped cutout at the bottom of the door and applying a vinyl trim around the opening.
This will allow me to pull out the necessary cord, then close the door with the cord coming out the side of the unit rather than the bottom.
At present I just yank out what I need and then leave the door open. pulling 30 feet of cord out the bottom is stupid
Hailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:32 AM   #6

Hailey I know how you feel..I removed the cup where the cord goes thru the bottom and made the slits bigger so the plug goes in way easier..I thought I was going to break something before I did that..I would be scaried to cut a hole in the door..but I understand..
Mudduck is offline   Reply With Quote