Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2018, 06:53 PM   #1

Solar Install complete on Greyhawk 26Y

I just finished installing solar power on our 18 Greyhawk 26Y. Went well and the pre wire from factory made it much easier. I also installed a Tri Metric battery monitor so I know when my cheap Harris battery needs to be charged. I am quite happy with the results.

I installed a single 12 volt 200 watt panel from Hightec Solar (eBay), the battery monitor and a Tri Metric SC2030 charge control from Bogart Engineering. I installed a similar system in my previous fifth wheel and it performed extremely well.

Right now I am running the battery down to find out at what battery percentage the battery is no longer able to start the generator. I'll note that percentage so that when we are dry camping I'll have a good idea when I need to start the generator to recharge battery if I am unable to get solar charging.

I'll try and post some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3499 2.jpg   IMG_3500.jpg   IMG_3501.jpg   IMG_3508.jpg   IMG_3509.jpg  

IMG_3510.jpg  
XrayTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #2

That all looks great! What part of the install did Jayco have prewired?
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #3

Jayco ran 8 awg wire (surprised at the size) from MC4 plugs on roof to the bay right next to the battery. There was plenty of wire coiled around the frame behind the bay. The wires ran conveniently under the sink which made it easy to pull some wire from the battery area towards the sink. This allowed for locating my charge control under the sink with easy access to a 30 amp fuse. I did have to run a small wire for the meter and temperature sensor from under the sink to the battery. I just followed the solar pre wire path and zip tied it to the same bundle.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrayTango View Post
Jayco ran 8 awg wire (surprised at the size) from MC4 plugs on roof to the bay right next to the battery. There was plenty of wire coiled around the frame behind the bay. The wires ran conveniently under the sink which made it easy to pull some wire from the battery area towards the sink. This allowed for locating my charge control under the sink with easy access to a 30 amp fuse. I did have to run a small wire for the meter and temperature sensor from under the sink to the battery. I just followed the solar pre wire path and zip tied it to the same bundle.
Thanks for the info...I really like your install! Care to share a cost on parts and supplier?
Old 06-07-2018, 08:12 PM   #5

Thanks. Solar panel $185 on eBay, Hightec Solar. Tri Metric meter, Charge control, Misc parts apps $325 from Arizona Wind and sun (solar-electric.com). Solar panel mounts from Renogy $39. Maybe another $30 in some connectors, fuses, screws, and wire.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #6

Not bad cost...this is on my winter project list. Did you have trouble deciding on the solar panel location? You placed it far forward I noticed.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:42 PM   #7

I bounced around a lot on placement. Right in front of plug in would have been easy. I decided on front driver side. It's far enough away from anything like antenna so it won't get shadows. Shadows really cut down output. I also feel I can now aim the nose of the rv south to southwest and take advantage of sun. That would keep the bedroom away from the sun and maybe stay cooler. I've camped with friends who have solar and they sometimes camp under trees for shade not taking into account solar panels. They sometimes struggle to get the batteries charged. I also still have space to add more solar should it be needed. I don't anticipate adding more.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:20 PM   #8

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on placement of panels. Your logic makes perfect sense. I appreciate you posting the pictures and explanations. It will dramatically help others seeking to do solar in the future.

Please keep us informed on how you do with it and any changes you would make if any...that would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-08-2018, 04:34 AM   #9
Site Team

Nice Job!!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote