Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2020, 06:26 PM   #1

Spontaneous shattering frameless window

Hi All, I just got a call from a friend who is letting me park my RV....the window on the side of the Redhawk (2019) near the table is shattered.....The curtain was down and no glass on the inside, no evidence of anything striking the window. So bizarre!! Anyone had this happen to them?
dragonflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:00 PM   #2

Have experienced that on boats with windows made made of harden glass. Harden glass can shatter unexpected because of problems in the manufacturing process. Not sure if the Redhawk have harden glass?
Rolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:55 PM   #3

There was a recall on the windows a few months ago for Jaycos made during a certain period, I don’t remember the exact manufacture dates. I made a post about it if you do a search of window recalls. I took mine to the dealer for inspection and waiting on the new window from Jayco.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:02 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinDad View Post
There was a recall on the windows a few months ago for Jaycos made during a certain period,
Here it is:

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) issued a new safety recall of certain Jayco, Inc. (Jayco) buses, medium, and heavy vehicles. The recall states the affected vehicle models’ adhesive bond between the glass and the metal hinge frame of its frameless windows may fail, which would then allow the glass to detach and fall out.

According to the administration, 2020 Motorized Alante, Greyhawk, Melbourne, Precept, Redhawk, Seneca, Accolade, Emblem, Esteem, Odyssey, Qwest, and Vision RVs are included in the recall.

“If the window glass detaches while the vehicle and/or trailer is in transit, it could become a projectile, increasing the risk of a crash, personal injury and/ or property damage. Jayco is not aware of any crashes or injuries related to this condition,” a portion of the NHTSA release reads.

According to the release, Lippert Components Inc. (LCI), changed adhesive products on the 3000 series windows produced from January 6, 2020 through January 23, 2020. When the company first became aware of adhesion failure causing glass to fall out, it immediately switched back.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0V337-8499.PDF
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 03:58 PM   #5

2018 Melbourne, overcab window on the drivers side just shattered for no apparent reason while we were driving 70 on the interstate. will be looking into the recall.
New TN Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 09:12 AM   #6

Well, the bad news is that Jayco says that the responsibility lies with Lippert, and Lippert's reply to me after sending pictures and all requested information could be paraphrased: "Sucks to be you, too bad, we're not responsible for our windows flying apart for no reason".

Very disappointing, to say the least.

The closest they came to a reasonable response was to say that there'd been no recall on my model RV. What difference does that make? I asked, it's not the vehicle, it's the window. There was no impact, no insult to the RV or the window, it is a known phenomenon as evidenced by the recall. Seems to me that they should stand behind their products, and that to fail to do so indicates a serious lack of integrity.
New TN Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 03:08 PM   #7

It’s no longer about integrity, it’s all about Money!!!
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 04:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflys View Post
Hi All, I just got a call from a friend who is letting me park my RV....the window on the side of the Redhawk (2019) near the table is shattered.....The curtain was down and no glass on the inside, no evidence of anything striking the window. So bizarre!! Anyone had this happen to them?
The glass cover for the stove shattered, self destructed, while we were sleeping. It woke us and the dogs up.
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote