Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2020, 02:00 PM   #1

Sudden turn signal/lighting malfunction

I wish to relay what has been my only real complaint about my 2002 Jayco Granite Ridge Motorhome in the 6 years I have owned and used it. I pull a Honda CRV toad just for your info. Our latest jaunt to a State Park about 50 miles away started with hooking to the toad and checking all the lights, turn signals, etc. which were all ok. About 30 miles into the trip I had occasion to use my turn signal which resulted in the rapid flashing like a burned-out bulb. Since I didn’t need to turn that direction for the remainder of the trip, I thought nothing of it and would check upon arrival. Well the next turn into the park on the other side had the same response and I noticed the indicator slowed and finally stopped with the application of the brakes. After setting up I checked the front, OK, and the rear, no signals anywhere. No hazards on the rear. I turned on the parking lights and the hazards stopped in front too. No taillights, no clearance lights past the rear axle.

After a couple hours or so of troubleshooting inside, pulling the left taillight, etc. it was down to tracing back toward the front along the frame rail. It was there I found a dangling yellow wire about mid-rail in between the rail and the gas tank. I was later to determine this was the back-up light wire. I had not had backup lights since I bought it, but since I have a toad, and you don’t back them up, I didn’t worry about it. Anyway, after pulling it down slightly, a white wire appeared. Aha, a ground wire. I patched it together with a clamp and grounded it with the gas filler tube ground wire. That got my turn signals and hazards working along with tail lights which I would need for the trip home.

At home, I drove it up on blocks and proceeded to take off the mud flap and hanger to access the wiring harness over the axle. I needed to straighten out the hanger anyway since it was slightly out of shape after a blowout a couple of years back. Here is where the complaint comes, why in the devil have wire junctions in an inaccessible spot. I realize Ford put the loom there but to stub the junctions on top and to the inside of the frame rail and gas tank is not forward thinking. In all before I got the loom lose and to the ground only two wires were connected. Water, corrosion, loose connection heating had done a number on the wires. I added 6 feet of wire using butt connectors, heat shrink tubing on each wire and over all wires together to stiffen and supports as well as plastic and heat shrink tubing along the wires to make my own loom. This got it back to where I could comfortably work connecting to the rear light wiring. Second complaint, non-standard wiring connections to the lights by Jayco. Only the ground (white) wire went where it was supposed to. Brown connected to green which powered tail lights and clearance. Anyway, I got it figured out and now have back-up lights. Hope no one else has this problem, but just in case your lights suddenly stop working correctly, maybe you won’t need to spend quite so long figuring it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Photo097.jpg   Photo082.jpg   Photo086.jpg   Photo093.jpg   Photo094.jpg  

Photo081.jpg   Photo096.jpg  
ruralIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruralIN View Post
Here is where the complaint comes, why in the devil have wire junctions in an inaccessible spot. I realize Ford put the loom there but to stub the junctions on top and to the inside of the frame rail and gas tank is not forward thinking.
Probably not FORD or JAYCO. Mor-Ryde did the frame stretches for JAYCO back then which included the wiring.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:44 PM   #3

Had the same problem with our new Seneca before I took delivery. Jayco said it was Freightliner and freightliner said Jayco problem. Mine was a harness that ran under the drivers seat had shorted out.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:40 PM   #4

Why can’t somebody just man up and fix the problem, I guess it is easier to finger point and blame somebody else. Things like this really get under my skin, I have no patience for parts swappers and finger pointers, guess if I was 50 yrs younger I might have a different option. If you own a RV you better be a good handyman and repair person...
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #5

What you talkin about Willard?

"Why can’t somebody just man up and fix the problem, I guess it is easier to finger point and blame somebody else. . . . If you own a RV you better be a good handyman and repair person..."

I think that is what I did and showed in the pictures. Thought maybe it would help others do the same. Did you mean to respond to a different post.
ruralIN is offline   Reply With Quote