Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-20-2020, 08:54 PM   #1

The need for Surge Protection at home

Having purchased the RV in Feb '16, we have traveled extensively. I'm a die-hard user of the Progressive 30AMP Surge Protection unit at campgrounds.

But, is there a need for that same surge protection in the RV building at home while the RV is plugged in to maintain the batteries. We have been on the same property and used that same electrical service for the last 27 years with no issues.

I'm beginning to question the need to plug in the RV through a surge protection system in my RV Building.

What do you think....???
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:00 PM   #2
Site Team

We use a Progressive EMS no matter if camping, or just plugged in at home to keep the battery charged. Our power supply at home is 99% stable, but on occasion we get a quick brown out when someone tags a power pole, or a quick outage (2 or 3 seconds) for an unknown reason. Since this summer was unusually hot, instances were more than normal. It's just something we do.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 01:07 AM   #3

I use a Surge Protector no matter where I go or where I am connected, including the house. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with one that was connected, but have heard lots of issues with those that didn't connect. An ounce of prevention.......
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:57 AM   #4

be sure you are using an EMS and not just a surge protector.

https://rvmentor.com/2019/11/24/ems-...o0_1M3_i4tQ-P0

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 05:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
Having purchased the RV in Feb '16, we have traveled extensively. I'm a die-hard user of the Progressive 30AMP Surge Protection unit at campgrounds.

But, is there a need for that same surge protection in the RV building at home while the RV is plugged in to maintain the batteries. We have been on the same property and used that same electrical service for the last 27 years with no issues.

I'm beginning to question the need to plug in the RV through a surge protection system in my RV Building.

What do you think....???
I use a PT-50X when I plug in regardless of where I am. At my home base I have had high voltage (above 132v) when a transformer serving my area failed, several periods of high voltage spikes (utility said it was a capacitor bank problem that they didn't know they had). The voltage spike issue happened early in the mornings and I really had to be a pia to get the utility to believe I had a problem. They finally put a recording voltmeter on my meter and after one morning they called to say they saw the problem and they fixed it the same day. They also thanked me for being a pia.

Utility companies provide very clean power most all the time, but.........

I also have 2 PT50X units. One to put in service in case the primary takes a hit.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:56 AM   #6

Yes, absolutely use it at home.

I had a lightning strike at home while my MH was plugged into shore power. WEIRD problems that shouldn't be happening. Was it the lightning strike? I can't prove it, but it seems likely.

I'm using a Hughes Watchdog these days.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:17 AM   #7

It's not only about surges, low voltages also ruin equipment.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:54 AM   #8

Not to change this thread but important addition. What is everyones favorite way to give a Progressive Industries EMS 30 protection from the rain? I left mine out in all kinds of weather and after about three years it quit and I realized it had a lot of water inside it. They made it good and gave me a new one but I am now reluctant to leave it out in the rain.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinforthefinish View Post
Not to change this thread but important addition. What is everyones favorite way to give a Progressive Industries EMS 30 protection from the rain? I left mine out in all kinds of weather and after about three years it quit and I realized it had a lot of water inside it. They made it good and gave me a new one but I am now reluctant to leave it out in the rain.
The newest models have a flip down "lid" over the socket to protect it from water. In 10+ years full time use I have only had one water intrusion issue and that was the old style without the "lid". No problems since and they stood by that one. I just put my spare PT50 in service while I waited for a new spare unit.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
It's not only about surges, low voltages also ruin equipment.
Speaking of low voltage, I have and use on occasion a Hughes Autoformer which will boost low input voltages +10%. So if you are only getting say 102 volts the Autoformer will boost the lower voltage to a safer ~112 volts (safer for your appliances that is). ~CA