Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2018, 10:14 PM   #1

Tightening loose screws...

What sort of glue product works well to firm up screws that are stripped?

I walked around the RV, using a screwdriver to tighten every screw head that I could reach. For or five would not tighten. One or two were under the rim of the slideout. One was inside the heater door. A couple were on the exterior wall.
They just spun, having lost their bite.
I do not know if the screws were going into wood or metal.
Is there a product that I can dip the screws into that'll harden and provide grip.
It is not lock tite that I'm seeking. I use that for metal-on-metal bolt fasteners...
Thanks in advance.............
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:41 PM   #2

In wood, get some wooden toothpicks, dip one in wood glue, and stuff it in the screw hole and break it off at the surface. Repeat until the hole is filled, then let the glue dry before drilling a pilot hole and replacing the screw.

If the wood is soft or made of a composite material, such as MDF or particle board and the next repair won't show, drill out the hole big enough to glue in a hard wood dowel at least twice the diameter of the screw. Once the glue has dried, drill a pilot hole and replace the screw. The harder wood of the dowel will be less likely to strip when a screw is tightened in it.

If the wood is thin (or it is metal), the backside will not show, and the repair will be hidden, drill out the hole just large enough to insert a hollow wall fastener (often called a Molly bolt), expand the fastener by driving in the included screw, then remove the screw and reinsert it to hold down whatever the original screw was holding.

If you have access to the back of thin wood and the backside will not show, you can always glue a small hardwood block to the backside of the thin wood, then use a longer screw that will reach into the hardwood block (be sure to drill a pilot hole first).
Old 01-07-2018, 01:12 AM   #3

Tightening loose screws...

You can also just go up a size and that might address the issue. On some of these the problem could be that they missed the aluminum or wood and just screwed into air. I had a bunch of screws that had to be moved 1/4-3/4 of an inch as the missed the tubing completely.

The previous reply was dead on for ideal ways to solve stripped wood or metal it you are actually in something solid.

Best wishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:07 AM   #4

I like "Goop"! You'll find "RV Goop", "Marine Goop", Plumbing Goop", "Household Goop". They are all the same product according to the MSDS info.
It all works and holds very well.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:07 AM   #5

Yes, I believe that the people who tighten the screws at the factory are very serious about their work. Perhaps a bit too serous. One of my complaints has been the number of stripped screws.

So as others suggested, larger screw sizes, tooth picks, wood glue and maybe some JB Weld.

I about last my water heater compartment door because all the screws were stripped. On the bright side, when you buy a RV as a bonus you get a hobby project.

Enjoy
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote