Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2023, 10:32 AM   #1

Tire recommendations for class c

I have 2019 Greyhawk 30x with tires about 5 years old.

What brand and type of tire is recommended by the members here?

Thanks
gjkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 10:36 AM   #2
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkids View Post

Thanks

One of those loaded questions that will bring a multitude of responses.

I have found the best place to get that kind of advice is your local Discount Tire. Those people deal with tires in the thousands for all vehicles including RVs, You will get expert advice and while the advice here is certainly good, it is lacking in long term experience with more than one set of tires. You just get someone else's favorite which may not be what you need or want.

And I promise you if you are not satisfied you can always take them back. I have and that promise works.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 12:30 PM   #3

we have a Jayco class c 25' with hankook tires. just under 12,000 miles on them and zero issues. they are 225/75r16 10 ply. we keep them covered 24/7 in our driveway on 2x12's between trips. also cover them in campgrounds. I am a fan of spraying them with 303 aerospace with uv protection.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 12:58 PM   #4

Just traded the Ford F550 Super C after 4 years for a Melbourne Prestige. The Ford had Continentals and 25K miles on it. Never had an issue, they ran and wore very smooth and never lost more than 3 or 4 pounds over 6 months. I was very pleased to see the new Mercedes chassis had Continentals on it. That's my qualified vote. Pricey but you get what you pay for. 2nd to that I would consider Michelins. I wouldn't take a set of Firestones for free and not a fan of Goodyear either. What was on your's and how did they perform for you? If good, why not go back with the same?
Retired @ PCB
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 02:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Just traded the Ford F550 Super C after 4 years for a Melbourne Prestige. The Ford had Continentals and 25K miles on it. Never had an issue, they ran and wore very smooth and never lost more than 3 or 4 pounds over 6 months. I was very pleased to see the new Mercedes chassis had Continentals on it. That's my qualified vote. Pricey but you get what you pay for. 2nd to that I would consider Michelins. I wouldn't take a set of Firestones for free and not a fan of Goodyear either. What was on your's and how did they perform for you? If good, why not go back with the same?
Currently we have the Hankook. No issues just coming up on the 5 year limit.
gjkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 03:30 PM   #6

OEM chassis tires are generally premium tires. It's that 2nd round of tires that get you second guessing. Go back with the Hankooks...excellent product. Get the same model/style as what came with it. Straight line tread runs cooler and smoother. All terrains or M/S style with slightly aggressive tread will cost you in fuel and noise.
Retired @ PCB
Old 02-13-2023, 08:53 AM   #7

I've replaced with Hankook. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have picked them up from tirerack cheaper.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:48 AM   #8
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
I've replaced with Hankook. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have picked them up from tirerack cheaper.
Discount price matches. Just FYI.

Old 02-13-2023, 01:53 PM   #9

Hankook dynapros from Walmart. 10ply replacements.
Kennybarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 03:09 PM   #10

Looking into this now. Got a used 2018 Redhawk and it has Hanhook Dynapros for all 6 of the tires. Thread is good, but seeing some small side cracking on them and don't want to risk it. Thinking of making the investment now and that way I can manage the tire lives and not wonder what the previous owner did.

The redhawk specifies that the 2 back tires should be inflated to 80 PSI.

In looking at new tires from Discount Tire now, i see they do have Hanhook Dyanpros HTs and thinking of going with that.

The question is: they have an 80 max PSI. W/ the Jayco asking 80 PSI and obviously easy to surpass the max when inflating, is it okay to get these even if the max is 80 PSI?

The ones it has on now also have a max of 80 PSI, so guessing its okay.
Old 12-01-2023, 03:38 PM   #11

If they've lasted that long all shoild be good. There's a tolerance built in. You're doing the right thing at the right time.
Retired @ PCB
Old 12-01-2023, 03:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
If they've lasted that long all shoild be good. There's a tolerance built in. You're doing the right thing at the right time.
Thank you!
Old 12-01-2023, 04:05 PM   #13
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiom View Post
Looking into this now. Got a used 2018 Redhawk and it has Hanhook Dynapros for all 6 of the tires. Thread is good, but seeing some small side cracking on them and don't want to risk it. Thinking of making the investment now and that way I can manage the tire lives and not wonder what the previous owner did.

The redhawk specifies that the 2 back tires should be inflated to 80 PSI.

In looking at new tires from Discount Tire now, i see they do have Hanhook Dyanpros HTs and thinking of going with that.

The question is: they have an 80 max PSI. W/ the Jayco asking 80 PSI and obviously easy to surpass the max when inflating, is it okay to get these even if the max is 80 PSI?

The ones it has on now also have a max of 80 PSI, so guessing its okay.

80 is what both the tires and rims call for. I replaced mine through Discount. Discount will air to what the specs call for. Liability

All my vehicles have Discount tires on them

Old 12-01-2023, 04:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
80 is what both the tires and rims call for. I replaced mine through Discount. Discount will air to what the specs call for. Liability

All my vehicles have Discount tires on them
Thanks. Yeah, I am a click away from ordering 6 225/75 R 16s dynapro HTs from my local Discount Tire.

Researching whether I can or need to consider another size, but that's the size of the current ones on right now.
Old 12-01-2023, 04:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, I am a click away from ordering 6 225/75 R 16s dynapro HTs from my local Discount Tire.

Researching whether I can or need to consider another size, but that's the size of the current ones on right now.
Both Ford and Jayco panels on door recommend 225s... some other thread was saying I could consider 245s but I'm going to stick to the labels.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:52 PM   #16

Get a set of real tires for your rig. Michelin XPS Rib
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 8.51.14 PM.png  
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 03:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkids View Post

Thanks
I have a 2018 Greyhawk 29 mv. I just replaced the original Michelin tires which had plenty of tread, but were badly cracked. In fact, the inside dually tire casing was split apart. It was not visible and could have been a huge issue on my next trip. Fortunately, while installing rear Sumo springs I spotted it. after much research, I replaced them with 6 Toyo LT 225/75/16 load rage E open country HTII TL tires. I now have about 1,500 miles on them. The ride is quieter, smoother and softer than the Michelin's. and i use sun covers to mitigate the sun drying them out.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:19 PM   #18

The OEM Hankooks have been pretty good for us. We did bust a belt on one, last year I think? Took it to Discount Tire for replacement, and got certificates on all of them. So another +1 for DT (all my vehicles shoes have been purchased and installed by DT since at least 2006 or so).

All of that being said, I will probably replace with Michelins as they have broadly been my favorites for several different applications. And I'll likely install Centramatic balancers on all 4 corners at the same time.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 05:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
The OEM Hankooks have been pretty good for us. We did bust a belt on one, last year I think? Took it to Discount Tire for replacement, and got certificates on all of them. So another +1 for DT (all my vehicles shoes have been purchased and installed by DT since at least 2006 or so).

All of that being said, I will probably replace with Michelins as they have broadly been my favorites for several different applications. And I'll likely install Centramatic balancers on all 4 corners at the same time.
Re: the busted belt, so you felt or saw bumps?

I just got 4 new Hanhooks (dynapro HTs) from DT. I did not get certificates... wasn't sure it was worth it but more like, wanting to save money.
Old 12-11-2023, 08:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Re: the busted belt, so you felt or saw bumps?

I just got 4 new Hanhooks (dynapro HTs) from DT. I did not get certificates... wasn't sure it was worth it but more like, wanting to save money.
I think it happened on a speed bump. We were headed to my dad's place north of Houston, stopped for dinner in Katy. After that stop, (and some pretty harsh speed bumps and general road disrepair), I felt a significant new vibration. DW said "nah, it's just the road". But I knew it wasn't.

We pressed on to my dad's house, just about 45 minutes further. First thing I did when we got there was grab a flashlight and go looking at the suspect tire. It was inside driver dual rear. I could clearly see the "inconsistency" in the tread profile and knew immediately that I had busted a belt.

I broke a belt on one of my trailer tires a while back, so I knew exactly what it was when I saw it.

My dad got online right away and set me up an appointment for the next morning at the local Discount Tire. My dad is a life-long mechanic (retired) and has all the tools required to dismount the wheel/tire, but I couldn't convince him to help me do it. Discount Tire got me all fixed up though, and I went ahead and bought the one replacement tire. I was a bit surprised they sold me certificates on all 6 tires. They did it based on mileage (generally tires on MH's and trailers will age out before they ever see their "rated" mileage).

Anyway, I ALWAYS buy the certificates. I live in a rural area, so I find all manner of things in my tires. It's nice that DT always has my back when it comes to tire repair. Plus there's pretty much nationwide support (they've saved my butt on the road several times). My certificates have probably paid for themselves at least a couple times over when you spread them out over all my vehicles.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote