Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2018, 01:10 PM   #1

Tow/haul mode

We have just installed a tow package on our 2018 Greyhawk Prestige 29MVP and 2017 Chevy Colorado. I have never towed a vehicle before and was wandering if I should use the tow/haul mode anytime I am towing the truck.
lbyeary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #2

When towing always use the tow mode. It keeps the transmission from shifting into overdrive.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #3

Yes...always.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:28 PM   #4

I never use it. I have not noticed any difference on or off. Mine don't prevent overdrive but if it did, all the more reason not to use it. I get 7.5 mpg while in OD which for me, is 4th gear. I could not imagine what I would get if I drove around in 3rd gear.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:43 PM   #5

Tow/Haul mode on newer vehicles is more than locking out Overdrive. It also shifts the transmission up and down when climbing hills or descending them.

Tow/haul is your friend and it is there for Towing and Hauling.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #6

helps when breaking down hill
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:52 PM   #7

Tow , haul mode ..... haul , tow mode .... self explanatory I would think :-)

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #8

On modern rigs, Tow/Haul does a myriad of things, including changing shift patterns, throttle response, in some even braking response and steering response (Fords adaptive steering) and more. It is very worth while to use while towing. One way to think of it is a built in push button tune. While it doesn't change your engine power output at all like a true tune, it changes a-lot of other things a tune would.

JeremyFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #9

We have the exact same motorhome as you and tow a Jeep 4 door Rubicon Recon. We always use the tow/haul as much for the transmission braking as the shifting.

All newer computer operated vehicles have two programs installed. One for everyday driving and one for towing. The engineers put it in there for a reason. I use it.

I like your choice of motorhome!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #10

When out on the freeway, I leave it off, pull my trailer fine in overdrive. When I start to get ready to go up long hills of down long hills, I engage the Tow/Haul mode.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:26 AM   #11

Living in FL, really don’t need for hills, but do like to use this mode as a great extra braking feature to help slow down the rig when approaching stop lights or coming off the interstate, prior to applying the coach breaks.

Longleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbyeary View Post
We have just installed a tow package on our 2018 Greyhawk Prestige 29MVP and 2017 Chevy Colorado. I have never towed a vehicle before and was wandering if I should use the tow/haul mode anytime I am towing the truck.

Yes, I use it all of the time whether towing or not. It will automatically down shift on hills or when simply slowing down when the brake is applied. It works very well !!
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:52 PM   #13

Pressing the tow/haul button will not lock out overdrive on the gas powered newer units like yours (OP).

If you are towing your truck; yes, turn it on. Two main things it will do:

1. Transmission is more sensitive to throttle input and will downshift sooner and upshift later.
2. Will downshift when braking much sooner to provide engine braking.

The transmission always downshifts when braking, but when tow mode is not turned on, this is very subtle and many times you don't notice it. If you watch the tach real close when not towing, you'll see the revs jump a tiny bit when slowing down each time it downshifts.

You'll notice it wait longer to upshift so when you are towing, you keep the engine up on torque. Otherwise, you'll be putting more throttle in at a lower RPM and it will want to hunt for the right gear.

Sometimes I even like using tow mode when going through hills, as the rig will downshift much sooner to prevent losing speed. I just have to remember to turn it off when exiting the freeway or slowing down so the rig doesn't jerk forward when it downshifts which isn't as noticeable when you are towing.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
I never use it. I have not noticed any difference on or off. Mine don't prevent overdrive but if it did, all the more reason not to use it. I get 7.5 mpg while in OD which for me, is 4th gear. I could not imagine what I would get if I drove around in 3rd gear.
This has nothing to do with gas mileage whatsoever. This has everything to do with saving your transmission from burning out prematurely. You should never ever be in overdrive towing a vehicle unless you’re coasting downhill! LOL Or maybe doing 85 mph on the highway on a LEVEL section of road!

Will you get less gas mileage on your vehicle in tow/haul mode? Absolutely. Will you get better gas mileage in overdrive? Absolutely. Will you burn out your transmission in the process? Absolutely. This is not one of those things that you can see or feel or think you don’t notice a difference. You cannot see inside your transmission.

Imagine a 10 speed bicycle. You know what it’s like if you’re in the wrong gear and you try to take off from a dead stop, how hard it is to pedal when in that small gear? That’s what you’re doing to your transmission in OD, you’re overworking it!!! Except there are no legs to feel the extra stress because your transmission is automatic and it’s enduring that extra stress and load unbeknownst to you.

You may not notice any difference to your fellow driver, the difference is in the backend where you are rebuilding your transmission at 75,000 miles and everyone else is rebuilding their transmission at 150,000 miles.

My advice take it or leave it
Cheaperrooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheaperrooter View Post
This has nothing to do with gas mileage whatsoever. This has everything to do with saving your transmission from burning out prematurely. You should never ever be in overdrive towing a vehicle unless you’re coasting downhill! LOL Or maybe doing 85 mph on the highway on a LEVEL section of road!
While there are some parts of this that make sense for some older vehicles, the statement just isn't true for newer coaches; nor can you really prevent the transmission from going into overdrive unless you manually shift it into 4'th gear.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglght View Post
While there are some parts of this that make sense for some older vehicles, the statement just isn't true for newer coaches; nor can you really prevent the transmission from going into overdrive unless you manually shift it into 4'th gear.
You can’t write a Chiltons manual on every subject matter lol, but generally speaking when it comes to “any” transmission, you should not be in overdrive when towing and I stand by that statement on newer coaches as well.

Yes I understand it’s a brave new world out there with this new world of computers it takes all of that into account and then adjusts when it should adjust and blah blah.

I’m just trying to make a good solid all around point about tow/haul mode in ALL tranny’s, not trying to break down some newer models when that doesn’t apply
Old 06-09-2018, 08:28 PM   #17

I don't want to sound stupid here but, I'm confused about the term overdrive. I have a 2018 29MV on the Ford E450 with the six speed auto and standard V10 powerplant. When driving with or without the Chevy Equinox toad, I keep the selector in the DRIVE position. Where or how is the overdrive selected? I am very cognizant of the RPM's as I drive, and I surely don't want any tranny issues, but I'm reading two completely different schools of thought...tow/haul on; tow/haul off.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
I don't want to sound stupid here but, I'm confused about the term overdrive. I have a 2018 29MV on the Ford E450 with the six speed auto and standard V10 powerplant. When driving with or without the Chevy Equinox toad, I keep the selector in the DRIVE position. Where or how is the overdrive selected? I am very cognizant of the RPM's as I drive, and I surely don't want any tranny issues, but I'm reading two completely different schools of thought...tow/haul on; tow/haul off.
Use it Ed! Don't listen to the neigh sayers...I mean come on why would Ford put it on there?
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:44 PM   #19

Tow/Haul

And what if your older, underpowered 2006 truck doesn't have a tow/haul setting or overdrive lockout, only D-3-2-1? So far, I have learned not to use the cruise control to prevent it searching for gears, and to control the tranny with judicious feathering of the throttle. Can the tranny be reprogrammed if it didn't come that way?
Homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
Exactly as cabinetmaker said. It’s on there for a reason, so why would you want to listen to people that say don’t use it? Do you think the engineers put that button on there as a gimmick and a joke?

You ALWAYS have individuals that think they know more or know better and say ridiculous things like that. Yes use it, trust me transmissions are some of the most complicated pieces of machinery around when it comes to vehicles in fact it IS THE most complicated and sophisticated piece of equipment on a vehicle. There are all kinds of forces at work inside them and it serves a world of good

How is the transmission itself working for you? Pretty amazing isn’t it? Having this thing shift for you automatically without having to use the clutch? Does it do what it is supposed to do? Does it shift gears and get you from 0 to 60? Do you trust that the guy who designed it and engineered it knew what he was doing? So why all of a sudden stop believing them now because “some guy” on a website said so lol

You only have two choices when it comes to those kind of things. Trust the people who MADE and ENGINEERED the vehicle or Jim Bob who works at Napa!!