Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2022, 10:39 AM   #1

Trailer brake wiring

Hey guys, I'm searching for factory wiring under the dash to hook into for running a controller for trailer brakes. Anybody have any info on this? As far as I know there is not a plug hanging anywhere. Thanks!
Sully726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:54 AM   #2
CAG

We are missing a whole bunch of info here. What vehicle?

You may need to refer to your vehicle owner's manual to find out if there is even wiring there for that. Hopefully someone will know but without the make model and year of the vehicle it is going to be difficult to help.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:58 AM   #3
CAG

This is what Google brought up for mine (Google is your friend). ETrailer is pretty much the "go to" for most RV stuff and their techs are good.

https://www.etrailer.com/bc-2018_Jay...+Motorhome.htm

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:49 AM   #4

Use this Echo Brake Controller: https://www.amazon.com/CURT-51180-Co...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

It's expensive, but it will be the last controller you'll ever buy; easy to switch between vehicles. When you're not towing simply unplug it and put it away for safe keeping.

If you have a properly wired 7-pin connector on the tow vehicle there will be absolutely no wiring to do. If all you have is a 4-pin, you'll have to adapt to a 7-pin (must be mounted to the TV, not just hanging) and run a 12V wire from the battery to the new 7-pin.

This thing uses your smart phone for setup but it is not necessary to keep the phone app running once the setup is complete.
Old 04-15-2022, 03:33 PM   #5

Welcome aboard,

I see you have a 1997 Jayco 2940FL MH. I suspect that the chassis is a Ford E350. If correct, you should be able to review Ford's documentation if it was equipped for a brake controller.

Often, if the wire harness is there, it is pushed up and hidden behind a bunch of other stuff.

Sorry for not being more helpful.

Happy camping

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 04:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Welcome aboard,

I see you have a 1997 Jayco 2940FL MH. I suspect that the chassis is a Ford E350. If correct, you should be able to review Ford's documentation if it was equipped for a brake controller.

Often, if the wire harness is there, it is pushed up and hidden behind a bunch of other stuff.
Just to add something which may or not be useful, I've wired these 90's Ford class C's
for trailer brakes. You will need a brake controller, and that's going to need 12 V power, wire it from a hot that's keyed from the ignition. Don't want it powered all the time. Next, connect the brake signal wire usually next to or above the brake pedal off the switch. Usually a red wire, but that may have changed. Next find a ground and wire that. Next run at least a 10 GA back from the controller, usually a blue wire, to the 7 way for the trailer brakes. The rest of the wiring can be tapped from your turn signals or whatever from the rear of the RV.
Lastly, if not present, run another 10 GA wire back to the 7 way from a fused connection from under the hood in the junction fuse box.

Always open to criticism.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote