Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2020, 09:21 PM   #1

Two low point drain valves

My 2020 Redhawk SE 27N has two "low point drain valves." On is near the back on outside of the driver's side of the rig. The other is inside a storage compartment on the same side of the vehicle. I've attached pics of both.

The manual's description of the low point drains doesn't match my configuration so I'm at a loss as to how the outside valve differs in function from that which is in the storage compartment. Can anyone enlighten me?
Attached Thumbnails
Low Point Dain Valves Inside Storage Compartment.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Low-point Drain Valves.pdf (1.14 MB, 10 views)
curtsnyder1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:47 PM   #2

You should have two. One for the cold water piping, and one for the hot water piping. That looks like the two you have in the compartment picture.

The outside drain is likely the fresh water tank "low point" drain valve. My 5er is labeled that way.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
You should have two. One for the cold water piping, and one for the hot water piping. That looks like the two you have in the compartment picture.

The outside drain is likely the fresh water tank "low point" drain valve. My 5er is labeled that way.
This.

Those silver valves in the compartment are the true low point drains for the plumbing system.

The one on the outside (probably a 1/2 turn plastic valve) is to drain the fresh tank.

I don't know why they can't label them properly. Would it really be that hard to label it "fresh tank drain"?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:20 AM   #4

"Piping" low point drain versus "fresh water tank" low point drain

Thanks, madmaxmutt and Camper_bob. It makes sense that the storage compartment valves are for the hot and cold water piping while the outside valve is just for the fresh water tank.

I knew, of course, that opening the outside valve drained the fresh water tank, but, somehow, I thought it also drained all of the water in the piping. As I think this through a bit more, it does seem kind of silly.

I agree with madmaxmutt that relabelling the outside valve with something like "fresh tank drain" would be far better. It would certainly be more informative and less confusing.
curtsnyder1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:55 AM   #5

It's a super common question on these forums. And for good reason. Some units have their true plumbing low-point drain valves under cabinets, and some of those could be under a removable panel. So they're often difficult to find. And the only indication users have is an obscure label on the skirting that says "low point drain". Same label near the fresh tank drain. So LOTS of people get confused.

FWIW, when I'm trying to drain my entire system, I'll open the fresh tank drain, open the low points, and turn on my water pump set to "normal" operation. This evacuates the system a little faster than if I just let them drip (water is force-pumped out of fresh tank, and then out the low point drains).

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 09-15-2020, 07:59 AM   #6
Site Team

Technically it is a low point drain. On some rigs, it is under the rig and not visible so basically it's just a HINT.

Some trailers do drain the water heater also with a low point drain, others don't. You just have to learn your particular rig and be aware that they are not all alike.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Technically it is a low point drain. On some rigs, it is under the rig and not visible so basically it's just a HINT.

Some trailers do drain the water heater also with a low point drain, others don't. You just have to learn your particular rig and be aware that they are not all alike.
Technically, yes, the true Webster definition of the words is correct. However, I would argue that in the context of an RV, the term "low point drain" has a specific meaning, and the distinction is an important one.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV

Tags
drain, low, point