Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2019, 07:26 AM   #1

Unlevel Bed

I have a new 2019 Greyhawk 29MV. We've only camped a few nights thus far and still working out the bugs and finding things that the dealer needs to repair.

So this past trip, last weekend, my spouse and I were both having trouble sleeping because our heads were lower than our feet. The bed was tilted higher at out feet. This is uncomfortable and for both of us it causes sinus problems and headaches in addition to a lousy night's sleep.

When I got home I carefully leveled the RV in the driveway. The floor, countertops, dining table, and cab are all level when measured with a bubble level (both front to rear and side to side).

However, the bed is a full bubble low towards the headboard. This remains the case whether or not the slide is out or in. I am measuring the bed frame under the mattress and not the mattress itself. I am also being careful not to include the hinges on the electrical access under the bed. The entire surface that the bed sits on is not level relative to the floor.

Needless to say I am pretty pissed off about this. I have considered ways to rectify it; maybe build a foam wedge for under the mattress - but having only owned this for four months I feel like Jayco needs to fix it.

Anyone else have a similar problem? Am I missing something I should consider before I add this to my punch-list of fixes Jayco needs to repair?
Utah McCabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:31 AM   #2

If it is under warranty, I would take pictures of your bubble level and your entire process to verify this, then make them fix it. Foam is not the solution as it weakens over time and you will be back where you were. Shimming the wood platform is likely the fix, but what a pain to have to do that on your own.

Out of curiosity, is the nightstand (I have a 31DS, so just speculating you have one) level or is it off too.

I have honestly not heard of this problem before, but maybe others have.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:57 AM   #3

Did you get a copy of the dealer finding on their prep? You are entittled to it because you did pay for it.

Tell the dealer and then call Jayco warranty dept and get; 1) their file number, 2) the rep investigating it, 3) The reps contact number. Tell them you are working with the dealer and they are not getting it done.

Due diligence is the key to expedite the repair.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:48 AM   #4

Ya, that's definitely not right. And I would definitely have Jayco pay for it to be fixed under warranty.

Is the slide itself even when deployed? Perhaps it's an alignment issue? But with that Schwintek slide in the rear, if it were out of alignment, I would assume you'd have issues with the motors binding up.

Have you tried taking measurements from the floor up all around? Perhaps they built the box at the foot of the bed (where all the electrical "guts" are) too high? Are there any gaps between the flip-up plywood platform and the surrounding framework?

I agree with jd99336 that the fix will likely be to shim or otherwise "adjust" the platform. But that seems like quite an adjustment being a full bubble out of level... Plus I would have a tough time trusting the dealer's work on something like this; I would want to know exactly what the specific problem is and how I would fix it before I let the dealer have a crack at it. I've had other much more minor "fitment" issues, and they always just put a band-aid on it.

Keep us updated on your progress.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:01 PM   #5

Other solutions?

I have the same 2019 Greyhawk MVP, but haven't had this issue. If you want to pursue this with Jayco, you may not have your unit for several weeks or a month or two while the dealer goes back and forth with Jayco on remedy. As someone said, foam under the mattress would likely flatten after a while.

You could probably build a wood wedge under the mattress for less than $30 in parts from your home improvement store, and 30 minutes of assembly.

Another option might just be to each of you use an extra pillow? I'm not trying to be sarcastic when saying that, as I know fit and finish issues can be a pain in the butt to deal with, but weigh what you're asking Jayco to fix with the inconvenience of a possible easy fix with some extra pillows.
Ripwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #6

I wold crawl under the bed and look at the way it is made if you can. If part of it is over a storage I would clean it out and look at it from there. Anything obviously broken or loose?

I had to reinforce my bed as it sagged in the middle and the screws of the bed lifters pulled out of the 2x2s. The top is thin plywood and and add some cross supports there too to stop sag.

It could be that they just didn't staple it enough to hold together.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #7

Welcome to the JOF...

Sorry you are having this kind of problem - that is an issue I could not deal with at all.

I surmise that you are going to have to take it to the dealer and report the problem, then convince the "Service Manager" that the problem really exists.. because the service writer will not be all that helpful in this case. They will need to report their findings to Jayco to get it fixed, or go to another dealer that services Jayco.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:27 PM   #8

Maybe you're sleeping backwards?
Old 09-11-2019, 07:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripwild View Post
I have the same 2019 Greyhawk MVP, but haven't had this issue. If you want to pursue this with Jayco, you may not have your unit for several weeks or a month or two while the dealer goes back and forth with Jayco on remedy. As someone said, foam under the mattress would likely flatten after a while.

You could probably build a wood wedge under the mattress for less than $30 in parts from your home improvement store, and 30 minutes of assembly.

Another option might just be to each of you use an extra pillow? I'm not trying to be sarcastic when saying that, as I know fit and finish issues can be a pain in the butt to deal with, but weigh what you're asking Jayco to fix with the inconvenience of a possible easy fix with some extra pillows.
This is a really good point. I know it's a PITA, and extremely frustrating, especially given what we pay for these units, but if you can fix it yourself, you should. Because at the end of the day, most of us bought these units so we could USE them, NOT so they could sit at a dealership's service department for months.

Plus if you fix it yourself (assuming you have the skills and the tools), you know it will be right. If you're anything like most of the rest of us on this forum, your standards for repair/build quality are MUCH higher than Jayco's or the dealer's.

The first step would be for you to personally examine the build and see if you can identify what's really going on. Don't take a service manager or service writer's word for diagnosing the root cause of the problem. Personally I would level the rig, remove the mattress and start taking measurements from the floor. Remove various access panels as you go so you can access the floor of the coach and the slide at as many points as possible. Look for broken supports, loose screws, or anything else out of the ordinary.

Once you've identified the root cause of the issue, then decide if it's worth your time to fix it, keeping in mind how long it will take to transport the unit to the dealer (and the cost of fuel to do that) and how long they will likely have the unit sitting on their lot. Note I didn't say "worth your money" because the cost of materials to fix these things is typically pretty cheap. A little lumber, maybe some Luann, some screws, and that's about it...

Of course, if it's not something you are willing or able to tackle yourself, you're at the mercy of the servicing dealer and/or Jayco for a warranty repair...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote