Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2018, 06:09 PM   #1

Unwanted Guests

We were getting ready to leave for Tucson and I found the dreaded, shredded toilet paper in the cabinet under the bathroom sink. We also found a stash of small acorns and shells on top of the bed. I searched for the nest and after removing the bed cover, found it located next to the inverter. They also found a way into the rear storage compartment and stashed some food there also. I set some traps out overnight, but did not catch any. They must have gone outside for more food and the snowstorm that arrived and -8 temps prevented them from getting back. After getting to Tucson, I took everything out of the rear storage compartment and removed the access cover to the water pump and water filter. There I found their way in, the water lines pass to the outside and the foam filling the hole was poorly applied and there was a good size hole there. I reapplied some foam in the opening and hopefully we won't be having any more unwanted guests.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:26 PM   #2

I have a 2009 Greyhawk and it was the same way looked like they hired a beaver to cut the hole and like you I guess they ran out of foam
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:09 PM   #3

Foam Tip

I am assuming rats and not squirrels but maybe not. Anyway, I was given a tip from the person at the dealer who provided our initial walk through. He said to put steel wool in the middle of the foam as the rats will chew the foam but once they hit the steel, game over. So far, so good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7509.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	36532

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:17 PM   #4

Before you foam, pack the opening with stainless steel wool, aluminum screen wire or other metal packing they can't chew through. Some swear by the supposed "pest proof" foam. I believe in belt and suspenders when it comes to mice. The mess and cleanup is immense for such tiny critters.
Plus, they can do expensive damage to bedding, drapes, foodstuffs, etc. is ridiculous.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #5

A beaver would have been an improvement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by che57vy View Post
I have a 2009 Greyhawk and it was the same way looked like they hired a beaver to cut the hole and like you I guess they ran out of foam
Ha....beaver! Probably would have done a better job than the moron who cut these holes. To make the situation worse, they are in the front basement compartment of my Seneca so these opening are not adjacent to other compartments. They lead directly to the underneath of the coach. Like hanging out a "Vacancy" sign to the rodents. I first covered the holes with roof flashing (so they can't chew through the tape) and then roof repair tape. Did this back in May so it's holding up fine. I have not reinstalled the cloth-covered panels (removed all the others as well) because their only functionality seems to be to cover up sloppy work. It also makes it easy to do a quick inspection on all the compartments to make sure nothing is trying to move in.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6417.jpg   IMG_6494.jpg  
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote