Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #1

Updates for our 2018 29MV

After a very cold three night shake-down trip in our new 29MV, where the temperatures dropped to 22 degrees at night, I need your advice on a couple of purchases and changes I want to make.

1. What do you recommend for jack pads for the auto levelers? I took four 2X10x12's and used them, and they worked fine, but I wondered if there was something better. Lighter, won't get ruined by wet conditions.

2. Until I was standing in the shower, I didn't realize that the little lever on the shower head controlled the different spray patterns, and did not turn it off and on. So I need a nice shower head with an off/on switch. I thought there could be an off/on coupling that could be added between the hose and shower head, but I couldn't find anything in catalogs or on line.

3. I need a surge protector/EMS and I like Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C portable or the matching hard wired unit. But I don't like trying to thread 30 feet of 30 amp cable into a rat hole in below freezing temperatures. On a thread I recently read, the owner cut the shore cable about 2 feet from the junction box, and added a new male connector on one end and a female on the other. Then he plugged the EMS into the female end, which was inside the compartment, then ran a foot or two of the main shore cable into the rat hole and hooked on to the other end of the EMS. This saved pushing the entire shore cable into the compartment through the rat hole, and it protects the EMS by keeping it locked up, out of sight in a waterproof compartment. Also, if the EMS would fail for some reason, he could remove it from the line and just plug the male/female together. If I get the hard wired unit, I'll need to snake the wire for the read-out through the compartment, into the walls, and mount it somewhere in the unit. What would you do?

Thank you!!
Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:43 PM   #2

Ok - 22* F is cold. Even by out standards! We were out Saturday night and it dipped to 27* F. My feet got chilly.

As for #2 - you must have an upgraded OEM shower head? Ours was pretty minimal, not adjustable. We swapped it out for an Oxygenics and that one does have an on/off valve.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #3

I am one who cut the power cord and keep the Progressive in the locked compartment. I did that this past spring, and have since traveled about 9000 miles using it that way. Way easier just pushing a foot or 2 into the rat hole. Works fine, no issues at all. Like you said, if the EMS were to fail for some reason, I could just connect my two cables together for power. Really no need for a hard wired unit, unless you require the remote display. Easy to change and take with me when I sell unit. I also changed all the standard CH 751 locks on my compartments to cam locks for added security.

I use treated wood under the jack pads. Work great and low cost.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #4

No upgrades to the shower.
Progressive connection on the electrical pole.
Two 8"x10" (2"thick) treated boards screwed and glued together gives me a three and one half inch pad times 4 pads for my 29MV.

Those home-made pads weigh 7-1/2 lbs each. Yes, they are heavy. But, they will hold a total of 14,000 lbs. They need to be strong.

I have about ten additional plastic 10"x10"x2" pads just in case. The plastic pads weigh about 10lbs total
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:53 PM   #5

We use this to turn off the shower flow. Works really well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I installed it at the bottom end of the shower hose where the hose connects to the shower faucet.

Jump

Jerry Mary and Daisy the Beagle
2022 Alante 29S
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:01 PM   #6

I use the yellow lego type leveler pads. they are fairly lite and work very well. I also was one that cut the shore power cord about 2ft from junction box inside the power compartment and put a male plug on that end that plugs into my progressive unit I keep in the locked compartment. then feed a foot of shore power cord into the compartment plug into the progressive unit and the other end of shore power cord go to the power source. Works very well for the last year.

Cheers

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
After a very cold three night shake-down trip in our new 29MV, where the temperatures dropped to 22 degrees at night, I need your advice on a couple of purchases and changes I want to make.

I have the 29MV as well. I have some serious electrical problems related to a faulty panel. In for warranty repairs and a recall right now hope to get it back soon. but I still love this coach.

1. What do you recommend for jack pads for the auto levelers? I took four 2X10x12's and used them, and they worked fine, but I wondered if there was something better. Lighter, won't get ruined by wet conditions. I installed Snap Pads they work great, stay on the metal foot itself so you don't have to crawl under to line up wood pads, and are made of recycled tires so they aren't affected by weather. They improve the stability noticeably.

2. Until I was standing in the shower, I didn't realize that the little lever on the shower head controlled the different spray patterns, and did not turn it off and on. So I need a nice shower head with an off/on switch. I thought there could be an off/on coupling that could be added between the hose and shower head, but I couldn't find anything in catalogs or on line. I don't have an issue with the factory shower head.

3. I need a surge protector/EMS and I like Progressive Industriesor the matching hard wired unit. But I don't like trying to thread 30 feet of 30 amp cable into a rat hole in below freezing temperatures. On a thread I recently read, the owner cut the shore cable about 2 feet from the junction box, and added a new male connector on one end and a female on the other. Then he plugged the EMS into the female end, which was inside the compartment, then ran a foot or two of the main shore cable into the rat hole and hooked on to the other end of the EMS. This saved pushing the entire shore cable into the compartment through the rat hole, and it protects the EMS by keeping it locked up, out of sight in a waterproof compartment. Also, if the EMS would fail for some reason, he could remove it from the line and just plug the male/female together. If I get the hard wired unit, I'll need to snake the wire for the read-out through the compartment, into the walls, and mount it somewhere in the unit. What would you do?
I got the EMS-PT30C portable and wired it exactly as described. I Installed a male/female plug so i can connect it up inside the compartment. It works fine and if the EMS fails I can connect directly to the main cord into the pedestal. I like it better than a hard wired system and it's more flexible. Oh and if you upgrade to another coach you can take it with you.

Thank you!!
I'll update on the other issues after I get the coach back
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote