Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2019, 10:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
I put 2 of these on recently, I can't see a benefit of the pricey Maxxair over these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I had one of those on my trailer. I put it on a week after I bought the trailer, and by the time I sold it almost 5 years later, it was ready to disintegrate from sun rot, and it looked terrible.

I spent a little more this time on the Maxxair hoping it will last longer.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:33 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
I put 2 of these on recently, I can't see a benefit of the pricey Maxxair over these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The Maxxair cover has quick release clips that allow the entire cover to open up, not just the little door with threaded screws that are a pain. The Maxxair cover is built to fit right into Maxxair vents using the quick clips. The Maxxair cover comes with hardware to retrofit any vent frame to accept the quick clips. The Maxxair is thicker and more durable and has a much larger opening to provide more airflow. I wasn’t impressed with the Camco after comparing both in the store.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:19 PM   #23
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post

And don't worry RetiredOne, it's a pretty quick and easy install. Hardest part is being on the roof.
Ha.. Ha .. not concerned about install, but not sure if I have to put some screws into the new roof... Need to read the install directions.

Being up on the roof is a piece of cake for me (as long as wifey doesn't see me up there).

Quote:
I put it on a week after I bought the trailer, and by the time I sold it almost 5 years later, it was ready to disintegrate from sun rot, and it looked terrible.

I spent a little more this time on the Maxxair hoping it will last longer.
The heat up there is one of my concerns with the expansion and contraction and how it affects the vent cover and the sealing material.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 02:18 PM   #24

I agree on the easy install. Hardest part was I had a water vent near the air vent and wished I had a 90 deg. drill.

If the cheap Camco version lasts 5 years I'll be a happy camper.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Ha.. Ha .. not concerned about install, but not sure if I have to put some screws into the new roof... Need to read the install directions.

Being up on the roof is a piece of cake for me (as long as wifey doesn't see me up there).

The heat up there is one of my concerns with the expansion and contraction and how it affects the vent cover and the sealing material.
Nice thing about these vent covers is that you generally do not need to touch the seal. There is a metal flange that comes up from the roof (this is what is sealed with dicor to the roof). You just screw the new cover right to that flange using brackets. The new cover fits right over the old cover which still operates like normal, and you're good to go.

As long as you have clear access to the flange all around (see above about a sewer vent blocking the access), it's an easy install. A couple small holes in the flange, some nuts and bolts to hold on the brackets for the new cover, a couple clips and your done. No big deal at all. And WELL worth the effort.

Now, if you're putting a MaxxFan or something like that, which includes an integrated cover, then yes, you'll have to break the seal. I just installed a Heng's Vortex II and called it good. I didn't have to break the seal.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:08 AM   #26
Lost in the Woods

I actually ordered two Maxxair covers, and they came yesterday (thanks Amazon). I looked at the mounting instructions before I ordered them, and saw how the brackets screw to the frame of the existing vent, so no holes in the roof... Nice...

Can you guess what I'm doing today???

Thanks everyone for reminding me about these covers!
Old 07-01-2019, 10:02 PM   #27
Lost in the Woods

Was up on the roof, playing roof monkey in mid 80's heat. Actual installation of the two Maxxairs was pretty easy. Definitely a good solution to be able to keep the roof vents open.

Like someone above, I also had issues with a plumbing vent next to one, and had to do a little "field engineering" on one bracket to make it work, but no big issue. Murphy's Law, there's always one..

At first, looking at how flimsy the mounting brackets were, thinking the wind would suck the vent covers right off, then having another Ah-ha moment, that this probably can't happen, because the vent covers are open in the rear, and the wind just passes through... (hopefully)....
Old 07-02-2019, 01:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Was up on the roof, playing roof monkey in mid 80's heat. Actual installation of the two Maxxairs was pretty easy. Definitely a good solution to be able to keep the roof vents open.

Like someone above, I also had issues with a plumbing vent next to one, and had to do a little "field engineering" on one bracket to make it work, but no big issue. Murphy's Law, there's always one..

At first, looking at how flimsy the mounting brackets were, thinking the wind would suck the vent covers right off, then having another Ah-ha moment, that this probably can't happen, because the vent covers are open in the rear, and the wind just passes through... (hopefully)....
Not a problem in the 3 years I’ve had them. One was a bit loud during a really bad thunderstorm, making a rattle/banging noise. I checked it the following day and one of the small bolts on the frame bracket had vibrated loose. I tightened it down and it’s been fine since. So might be a good maintenance thing to check now and again but honestly I bet I forgot to fully torque that one the day I installed them.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
I also added an insulated sun shade on the skylight in the shower which helps reduce the interior temperature and keeps the sun from bleaching everything.
I have two vents with covers and leave them open pretty much all the time.
My only problem is with both skylights. The insulating cover that I put on with velcro won't stay there. I find both inside the trailer on the floor. The velcro doesn't seem to cut it.

Any advice on industrial strength velcro to stand up to Arizona summer heat? Or should I build some sort of a slide in mount underneath the skylight?
TIA,
david
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:28 PM   #30

I have the vent covers and also leave a window open, but I am getting heat damage anyway. Trim is buckling in outside seam by drivers door and interior “wood” trim is bubbling on 2 yr old Redhawk. Going to try inside storage with National Indoor RV Center for next 2 months and then do this yearly for 3 summer months before our rig.....melts! Las Vegas temps seem to be brutal, but was told that the motorhomes hold up very well in the heat...not.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:29 PM   #31

venting in hot weather

I moved from AZ to Washington and have a little Jayco Featherlite.
I keep the awning out and tipped slightly for rain runoff, got vent
covers for the bathroom vent, and leave that open and my door with
the screen door open. I "driveway camp" all summer long.
Jan in Eatonville WA
Quaillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
Here in Illinois I am emptying a dehumidifier two to three times daily. Maybe leaving one on when away would be good.

Set the dehumidifier in the shower and leave the gray tank drain open.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:54 PM   #33

I always leave my roof vent open and crack the windows it gets hot in the vehicle..all year round even in the winter.
CamperStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:17 PM   #34

Closed up but in the shade
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS

Sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:40 PM   #35

Run AC

I installed a 30 amp plug in the garage. Now when I bring the unit home to get ready for a trip I run the AC at 75 degs and get the fridge cooled down before switching it to propane for travel. Makes it a lot cooler for loading clothes, food, etc.
lbyeary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #36

Venting

I have been opening my roof vents just about an inch as long as the weather permits, having maxair 2 vent covers installed in couple of weeks a so i can leave them cracked oped even if it rains.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #37

I stay plugged into my new 50amp outlet recently installed, all slides in, w shades down, no vents open, both AC's set at 80 deg. Runs a little during hottest part of our high humidity "Arkansauna" days, but keeps interior temp from running up to the 90s.
In dead of winter I have no worries w freezing. Good belly insulation and we keep furnace on at 60 degrees. If it gets really cold long term we will turn on Elec fireplace.

We have a Northpoint 5th wheel.
DamonBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:31 PM   #38

I’m in Florida so heat is wild here, I leave the vents open but I never tried opening the windows, that should help with the air flow, good idea I also have those frameless windows
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #39

My venting way

I have a permanent home base campsite near my home when we are not traveling.Covenants do not allow RV parking at my residence. I had one of those steel carports built (24x36) for about 6 K. Saves my roof and keeps temperature in coach at a safe level. I feel certain the less weather on roof the better.
Frequent flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:45 PM   #40

We have the MaxxAir with a thermostat and leave the windows open. Never gets above 90 inside even on the 100 degree days
Festor is offline   Reply With Quote