Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2018, 08:53 AM   #1

Water Heater Compartment in Greyhawk

The water heater in my Greyhawk sits below the stove. There is also a heating duct down there, but that's about it. This area is accessed from inside the coach by a vented panel. 4 screws to remove the panel gets you access to the winterizing valves on the back of the WH.

My question to the masses: Is that area required to be vented to the passenger compartment for any reason?

The reason I ask is that I would like to line that vented panel with some kind of acoustic material (like egg crate). The styrofoam that surrounds the WH is the only "squeaking" or "rattling" in my MH, and it's driving me nuts. I can't think of any reason that panel needs to be louvered, and thus why I couldn't cover it with something to deaden that incessant squeaking.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #2

Where's the furnace? Could be vented for return air.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
X2

Also some of that noise might be the water pipes bouncing around. I know on my HTT the water heater is in an enclosed un-vented cabinet.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Good point, but furnace is next door (under the fridge). Behind a similar panel. Come to think of it, I haven't removed that other panel yet. I should do that and see exactly what's behind there, because from the couch, I could swear I saw ducting in there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
X2

Also some of that noise might be the water pipes bouncing around. I know on my HTT the water heater is in an enclosed un-vented cabinet.
Nope, no noise from the pipes. At least that I can hear over the squeaking from the WH. It's definitely the distinct squeak of styrofoam, I've had enough of those foam coolers in my life to know what that sound is! LOL!!

Good info on your WH being in an enclosed and un-vented cabinet. The WH in my trailer was under a bunk, but there was a lot of open space around it. But now that I think about it, it did have some paneling right up close to it.

Maybe I can look up the installation instructions and see if there's anything in there that talks about spacing...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 06-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
The styrofoam that surrounds the WH is the only "squeaking" or "rattling" in my MH, and it's driving me nuts.
We picked up our new 2018 29MV a couple of weeks ago, and we had the same issue. The water heater styrofoam is quite "loud." Easy fix. Using your fingers press/compress some of the Styrofoam in around the lower control box (black) and the water outlet (this is the source for the squeaking). Compressing the styrofoam away from this small joints will eliminate the squeaks. If added "buffering" is needed, a small piece of wax paper (between the surfaces) will take care of it.

No more squeaks!
JDPEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPEagle View Post
We picked up our new 2018 29MV a couple of weeks ago, and we had the same issue. The water heater styrofoam is quite "loud." Easy fix. Using your fingers press/compress some of the Styrofoam in around the lower control box (black) and the water outlet (this is the source for the squeaking). Compressing the styrofoam away from this small joints will eliminate the squeaks. If added "buffering" is needed, a small piece of wax paper (between the surfaces) will take care of it.

No more squeaks!
Thanks for that!

I thought it could be a simple fix, but when I opened it up, I didn't see a lot to work with. I'll try to open it up again tonight when I'm mucking around in there.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 06-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #7

On our previously owned Greyhawk 31FS, we had a cabinet door to access the hot water heater, it was not vented. The hot water heater was located next to the sink. On our current TT, the hot water heater is in a cabinet by itself and is accessed by a panel removed with 4 screws. This panel is also not vented.

Since our last two RVs did not have vented panels concealing the hot water heater, I would think Jayco made it vented for a reason. You might want to check with Jayco.

If what JDPEagle suggests doesn't work, you can probably use some low expansion spray foam to help immobilize whatever is causing the squeak.

-Michael

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPEagle View Post

No more squeaks!
So I went in there last night and tried your solution, and I think it might have worked.

I opened up the compartment and gave the WH a good wiggle, and you're right, the sound is coming from where the styrofoam rubs on the fittings. I "compressed" it slightly so that when the tank moves, the fittings don't rub on the styro and squeak.

I haven't taken it out on the road to verify yet, but when I wiggle the WH, with my hands, I don't get anywhere near the squeaking I used to get. I also taped the joint between the pieces of styrofoam as I could see those two pieces rubbing together and making more noise.

We'll see how it goes! Thanks again for the tip!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 06-25-2018, 10:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
So I went in there last night and tried your solution, and I think it might have worked.

I opened up the compartment and gave the WH a good wiggle, and you're right, the sound is coming from where the styrofoam rubs on the fittings. I "compressed" it slightly so that when the tank moves, the fittings don't rub on the styro and squeak.

I haven't taken it out on the road to verify yet, but when I wiggle the WH, with my hands, I don't get anywhere near the squeaking I used to get. I also taped the joint between the pieces of styrofoam as I could see those two pieces rubbing together and making more noise.

We'll see how it goes! Thanks again for the tip!
It worked! At least as far as I can tell. We drove it back to storage the other day, and no sound whatsoever from the WH! In fact, it was a bit strange. You know how you get used to certain sounds? Well, I guess I had gotten used to that one. On the way back to storage, I had forgotten what I had done to the WH, and I wondered why it was so darn quiet in there. Then suddenly I remembered! No noise from the WH!!

It was a very short trip, so I can't say for certain if it worked 100%, but so far, I'm pretty confident that fixed it!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV