Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2020, 03:33 PM   #1

Water Hose Problem

We have a problem disconnecting (and connecting) our water hose. As you can see in the picture, the water hose is connected to a regulator which is connected to a copper elbow. We get hardly any water pressure with this setup. We want to remove the regulator from elbow, but find it impossible to do. We're also afraid of breaking something by exerting too much pressure on plastic parts. I should also mention we don't have a lot of strength in our hands to manhandle this. What would happen if we used a phillips screwdriver to remove the white plastic collar? (I don't know the name for it) Thanks for any advice you can give us. The unit is a 2017 Greyhawk 29ME.
Attached Thumbnails
water connector.jpg  
maprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:38 PM   #2

If you remove the hose it looks like you can unscrew the ell and regulator from the inlet. You should then be better able to remove the regulator from the ell?

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 04:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pward View Post
If you remove the hose it looks like you can unscrew the ell and regulator from the inlet. You should then be better able to remove the regulator from the ell?
X-2 I would use pliers and remove the "regulator", if that is what it actually is, from the elbow and put it at the spigot. The reason I question, most regulators are the same diameter end to end or even larger than what you have.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:37 PM   #4

The "White Collar"is a female hose connection that you should be able to turn and unscrew/release the elbow, pressure regulator and hose from the panel. Then you can rearrange as desired.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 04:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
most regulators are the same diameter end to end or even larger than what you have.

Camco has a fixed pressure on Amazon that looks very similar to the picture.

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maprice View Post
We have a problem disconnecting (and connecting) our water hose. As you can see in the picture, the water hose is connected to a regulator which is connected to a copper elbow. We get hardly any water pressure with this setup. We want to remove the regulator from elbow, but find it impossible to do. We're also afraid of breaking something by exerting too much pressure on plastic parts. I should also mention we don't have a lot of strength in our hands to manhandle this. What would happen if we used a phillips screwdriver to remove the white plastic collar? (I don't know the name for it) Thanks for any advice you can give us. The unit is a 2017 Greyhawk 29ME.

do it one step at a time - and un-do it.
Remove the hose from the regulator first.
Use pliers - don't be afraid to mess up the hose - they're the cheapest.

then move the pliers up and remove the regulator from the Elbow.

then, as gently as possible... If you need channel locks, wrap a washcloth around the plastic knob before using the channel locks... hold the plastic collar and twist the elbow to loosen.

To loosen, I spin the Plastic Collar Clockwise.
So to loosen the elbow, you'd hold the plastic collar and twist the elbow Counter Clockwise.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:49 PM   #7

I used that style of regulator before. They really knock back your flow as well as pressure. I broke down and bought an adjustable one much better. Just for your information when you do get it apart.
Old 04-28-2020, 02:54 AM   #8

I was looking through our parts and found a Valterra regulator 55 psi with an orange end on it. Do you think this will provide better pressure than the regulator shown in my picture? I will buy whatever is necessary to make this work. BTW, DH wrestled with this setup and was able to separate the elbow from the white collar (inlet flange) so the hose is off. However, he wasn't able to separate the regulator and elbow from hose. We will have to work on this tomorrow. Thank you for your help, and I would appreciate any advice on regulators and water hose.
maprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:53 AM   #9

I have a similar set up to what you have and also find the fitting a pain to put on and take off. To solve that I purchased quick disconnect fittings. Simply turn the water supply off and reduce the pressure in the line and pull the fitting off. I leave the elbow connected and installed the fittings on the hose. I use the pressure reducing fitting and filter the pedistal end.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200428-054713_Chrome.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	58185
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by maprice View Post
I was looking through our parts and found a Valterra regulator 55 psi with an orange end on it. ..snip..I would appreciate any advice on regulators and water hose.
That is probably a little better quality than the one you are removing

I personally would buy the one on AMAZON for $25.00 that has a gauge and as I mentioned earlier put it on the spigot to protect your water hose too. Pressure spikes have caused water hoses to pop especially if they are in the sun.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:29 AM   #11

You've got some good advice here. I understand your problem with hand strength. The name Channel Lock is a brand name for water pump plyers. Believe me young man, buy the brand name, they come in a wide range of sizes you'll need the ones on the low side of medium. When you're buying the water pump plyers either buy two sizes, smaller and larger or also buy a pair of Channel Lock slip joint, (regular) plyers. You'll find that turning and holding in one direction requires a lot less hand strength than does turning and holding in the other direction. As mentioned above, take your time, try to have your body in a comfortable position, you don't want to be sitting on the ground holding your body leaning sideways while you try to hold, squeeze and twist with your hands. And Grumpy has it right, buy a better quality regulator that screws on the supply faucet.
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Mahatnmacoat is offline   Reply With Quote