Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2023, 01:15 PM   #1

Well, it's a long shot...

But it's worth a shot.

I have in my garage all the hardware needed to adapt my 2006 Mazda MX-5 to flat tow. The hardware is:

Roadmaster Falcon 2 Tow Bar - Motorhome Mount - 2" Hitch - 6,000 lbs
Replacement Quick Disconnect Crossbar Assembly for Roadmaster Tow Bars
Roadmaster EZ Base Plate Kit - Removable Arms
Demco Stay-IN-Play DUO Supplemental Braking System w/ Wireless Coachlink Monitor - Proportional
Roadmaster High-Low Adapter for Tow Bars - 2" Hitches - 4" Rise/Drop - 6K GTW, 200 lbs
RoadMaster 68" Single Hook, Coiled Safety Cables - 6,000 lbs

All came from etrailer and some were from advice on this forum. Thank you very much.

My long-standing (like 20 years or more) mechanic has declined to install it as he feels it is beyond his expertise. That's how honest he is.

I have all the installation instructions, some of which are MX-5 specific.

From etrailer, I got a list of installers in my area and selected a few and sent them emails asking if they would be interested. Some I had heard of some I had not. So far, I have received one response as not interested and referred me to another installer to whom I had already sent an email.

My question is directed to those of you, if any, in the Central Valley of California who have had this done and any recommendation to use, or not use. I realize most of you are towing a Jeep of some kind and most of the on-line instructions and videos involve Jeeps.

Thanks.
Main purpose of Jayco is for camping at racetracks.
I am a volunteer corner worker for Sports Car Club of America.
SmokeyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 06:37 PM   #2

Did you check YouTube for a video specific to your vehicle? I used their kit on a 2017 Smart Car and did it myself. I have had no problems towing the car all over the US. It wasn't hard at all, just takes time and patience.

This is the install link I found.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey55 View Post
Did you check YouTube for a video specific to your vehicle?
Yes. A YouTube video exists. I also have step-by-step instructions from somebody on forum.miata.net who has done it. This is part of the installation instructions, along with what came with the products, I provided to my mechanic and I will be providing to the installer, when I find one.

I am 78 years old, 1/2 blind, 1/2 deaf, and 1/2 cripple. These are the reasons I will not doing it myself.

What do you mean by "their kit" and what did you install yourself?

Since you travel all over the US, maybe you could come to Clovis, CA and install it for me. I'll be glad to pay, which could pay for the trip.
Main purpose of Jayco is for camping at racetracks.
I am a volunteer corner worker for Sports Car Club of America.
SmokeyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 12:36 PM   #4

I'm 67 and installed the front plate to my vehicle by removing the front end as per video instructions by etrailer. I know that you have to have the tools to do this job. Sorry your health prevents you from doing it yourself. Perhaps you'll gradually find a mechanic that will agree to do it and hopefully he will watch the video. CA is one state that I bypassed on purpose so sorry, I won't be going there. Good luck on your install.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote