Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #1

What is your experience renting your RV?

We are considering renting out our RV via a service like Outdoorsy or RVshare. Most of the online feedback seems to be tied into their websites and comes across as a little too "rosy". Has anyone on the forum rented their Class C's and was it worth it? Any stories, feedback or warnings (positive or negative) is much appreciated.
N7flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:39 PM   #2

From Rvlifestyles.com:

Pitfall No. 1: Things getting broken/extra maintenance

When you rent out your RV, you’re usually renting it to someone who doesn’t understand all of the nuances that come with RVs. From the electrical system and the plumbing to even just driving around with the size of it, there is a large chance that someone will unintentionally break something.

Now, there is insurance and your renter will have a deductible (the standard on RV Share and Outdoorsy is $1,500) but with all the extra miles, times the doors are opened and closed, the claps are buttoned and unbuttoned – you should know and plan for the day that something breaks from extensive use.

On the mechanical side, you’ll need to plan for extra oil changes, tires, and all the little things that will get worn down over time.

Pitfall No. 2: Extra time spent cleaning and with renters

Renting your RV is a more intensive process than just money showing up in your bank account and handing off the keys.

You’ll likely be responding to renters for a few weeks or even months before they show up to pick up the rig and you’ll spend about an hour or doing a walk-through, paperwork, and test drive of the RV before you let them take it (unless you’re comfortable with someone you don’t know taking your rig without you ever showing them how it works).

You’ll also do a check-out process when they bring it back and then have to clean the outside/inside of the rig for the next renter.

All of this can be 3-5 hours in total of your time that it takes for each and every RV rental.

Pitfall No. 3: Not understanding insurance and getting kicked off your personal insurance

Now, this will only happen in a more extreme scenario but if there is a catastrophic event (i.e. your RV is totaled or broken enough that it is not worth being repaired) you need to understand how your insurance works through the RV rental site.

For example, if your RV is hit by an uninsured motorist – it is not covered under RV Share or Outdoorsy.

They will most likely kick it back to your personal insurance and because your personal insurance did not insure you to rent out your RV (they insured just you to drive it), you will be considered to be operating outside of their policy and they will drop you from their insurance.

Pitfall No. 4: Potential RV theft

Another extreme example, but these things happen.

An unscrupulous renter can just decide to NOT RETURN your RV. This is a bad scenario. And it’s even worse because it falls into a grey area where the RV is not considered “stolen” by the police because you gave them the keys.

The technical term is “unauthorized use” and it can be messy. You can protect yourself by installing a GPS unit on to the RV and by properly vetting renters before they have access to your rig.

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:41 PM   #3
Site Team

Murff said it all, above. Short answer from me is, my insurance company forbids it. Period. I really don't want anyone else to be responsible for it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:03 PM   #4

I have a friend that has had great success renting her unit. She said the key to it was to have a very basic unit on the smaller size. No slides no leveling jack's. She does have a generator which she gets extra money based on hours used. Easy to drive and little to fail.

My unit is 39 ft long and 13.1 tall. Multiple slides and leveling jacks. I would have a difficult time trusting someone to take care of it. I want to use it when I want, not on someone elses schedule.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:05 AM   #5

"Rental"

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7flier View Post
We are considering renting out our RV via a service like Outdoorsy or RVshare. Most of the online feedback seems to be tied into their websites and comes across as a little too "rosy". Has anyone on the forum rented their Class C's and was it worth it? Any stories, feedback or warnings (positive or negative) is much appreciated.

My vehicle policy SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITS renting my RV to anyone.
Problem solved...I don't.

My business does also own an RV. It is skirted and is behind a fence. It is a 28 foot 5R that i bought in 2014 for $5200 dollars and fixed the refrigerator, replaced the furnace and A/C (over time) and am better than even cost wise on. I now use it as an 'office' and lodging when I am in town for business where it is located, and it serves a purpose for the other rentals I have. My company received $500 a month for 43 months from a couple of renters, who were electrical engineers for a company installing wind turbines in the area. With it's aging, I decided to cover it with a carport to minimize water damage since the roof is 19 years old and 'painting' it with Hengs didn't seem to help. It is a 2002 Forest River Cherokee 285K.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:47 AM   #6

Are you still under warranty? If so, you'll lose it. Manufacturers will search sites for your RV if you make a claim to see if you are renting.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:49 PM   #7

I use outdoorsy.

Yes, my personal policy does not allow renting. Outdoorsy provides their insurance. I've had to use it. Yes, it gets damaged. Its more rare, but it happens. Their insurance covered a new roof and just cut me a check for $23,000. The rest of the damage is stuff you just have to fix. Some is just poor Jayco design, other stuff is renter damage. TV, blinds, flooring, bunk beds, bumper, awning, etc. I charge labor and parts cost to fix it. You hold a $1,000 deposit at minimum and outdoorsy can charge more if needed.

If you aren't handy with fixing stuff and your dealer is far away don't even try. I know a lot more about working on mine now. When you rent it, more miles will go on it so you need to be able to rotate the tires and check all the fluids on a regular basis. Even when customers bring it back "clean," it isn't clean. I ask that renters wash it before it comes back at the truck wash. Some do and some don't.

Don't feel bad about charging people for your time. You'll meet people that have rented crap RV's in the past and really enjoy a nice one when they try it. I've had repeat customers a few years in a row.

I have pretty much all 5 star ratings. Its not that hard to deal with customers but it can get annoying. I've been doing it for 4 years now. RV is paid off. We still rent it, but less often now.

Suppose I'm taking some risk, but the business paid for it all and the majority of the depreciation was a write off flow through on my taxes.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #8

Thanks for the feedback. Your points to consider certainly give balance to the glowing remarks seen on the rental company websites soliciting rental RV's for their service.

To answer the previous question: We bought the RV used and have an aftermarket warranty (JayPlus). Hadn't considered the impact to the warranty, am now looking for the small print now with regards to renting.

Is there anyone on the forum who does rent their Class C?
Old 11-20-2019, 03:00 PM   #9

Thanks for sharing foglight. Looks like your reply posted as I was typing my last reply.

Tags
outdoorsy, rental, rvshare