Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2017, 10:12 PM   #1

Winter travel

I JUST PURCHASED MY FIRST JAYCO CLASS C 26SS MOTORHOME (USED) LOW MILES.
I LIVE IN 0 DEGREE WEATHER in oregon AND SNOW AND ALWAYS TAKE A TRIP TO SOUTH IN FEB BUT NOT SURE ABOUT FREEZING UP.
I USUALLY FILL WITH WATER BEFORE LEAVING, AND ALWAYS HEATED, SO NOT WORRIED ABOUT ANYTHING EXCEPT THE EXPOSED DRAIN HOSES IN THE WATER SEWER PANEL any worries?
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:25 PM   #2

For me I wouldn't take the chance with any water. Drain it all, blow out the lines and put some antifreeze in the traps.

Pickup water when you get to warmer climes.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:25 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum.

Did you buy from a dealer? Did they winterize it before you bought it?

If I were you, I'd be sure about it being winterized! It would be a shame to head out in Feb and find your water system has freeze damage!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:35 PM   #4

That is probably safest.
My older coach had the water tank under the couch and all the plumbing was inside so didn't need to worry, I always filled before I left.
Thanks for your help..bucket2
Old 01-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #5

Jayco purchase

Terrible misunderstanding.
Bucket2 just purchased a Jayco and have a Fleetwood Searcher for sale. Maybe I don't know how to operate in this forum better get out.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket2 View Post
Terrible misunderstanding.
Bucket2 just purchased a Jayco and have a Fleetwood Searcher for sale. Maybe I don't know how to operate in this forum better get out.
I haven't started drinking yet, but I really don't understand the reply. Great advise though from everyone that replied to you.

Sounds like you're doing fine on the forum, other than the ALL CAPS in the original post
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #7

I'm a newbie too and haven't winterized. I live in Texas and have only had one day below freezing. How will I know if I have freeze damage? Is it immediate or will it only reveal itself when you hook up to water? Also how does one handle winterizing and usage? I want to take the RV out as often as possible so don't necessarily want to winterize it over and over. Appreciate any information or suggestions. Thanks
Daniel3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel3359 View Post
I'm a newbie too and haven't winterized. I live in Texas and have only had one day below freezing. How will I know if I have freeze damage? Is it immediate or will it only reveal itself when you hook up to water? Also how does one handle winterizing and usage? I want to take the RV out as often as possible so don't necessarily want to winterize it over and over. Appreciate any information or suggestions. Thanks
Any freeze damage may or may not show up immediately, it would depend on how much water is in the lines, and when it melted, did it melt in a place where you would/could see it.

I drove my GH 31SS from E TN to FL 10 days ago. I had no leaks the last time I used it in Sept, but had 2 leaks under the kitchen sink when I hooked up here in FL, both due to loose connections, NOT freeze damage. 450 miles loosened the connections up, a simple fix.

Freeze damage may just weaken a valve, hose, etc., and then it burst or spring a leak sometime in the future, or you'll know it when you hook water up to the next trip. A bump in the road may break that weak spot on the way back home and you had no leaks on the trip.

Most people use an air compressor to blow the water out of the lines, drain ALL tanks, and add RV AF to the P traps, etc., while others do the full blown winter treatment. Your choice.

AT a minimum I would drain ALL tanks and blow the water out of all lines. Don't forget to release any water in the toilet valve. It takes 30-45 minutes, which is usually less than it takes to determine where the leak is, and how to fix, not including the trip(s) to the hardware/RV store to get new parts.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote