Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2021, 03:59 PM   #1

2021 Eagle HT 27RS Solar ??

OK all you wire chasing gurus. I didn't want to place solar controller above Command Center inside and mounted it in storage near dock. I had no issues chasing down side mount solar wires-(yellow/white) to bus where I cut and fed to controller then off to my battery control center where I can choose what battery is being used for coach, inverter or being charged by solar or converter. However when I accessed wires behind command center I found 2 pairs of heavy gauge red and black-(which I assume are the wires from roof solar connector.) My questions.... why is there 2 pairs instead of just one? Also, at the bus there is only 1 red heavy gauge wire where the roof system and vehicle charge line is. Did I miss some wires dead ending somewhere? It was spaghetti behind panel from Jayco! At this point side solar is working as expected but I would like to mount a panel on roof and be able to choose roof or side via switch depending upon sun/shade issues. Thanks in advance for any insight. Safe travels.
Attached Thumbnails
2 pair.jpg   controller.jpg   scematic.jpg   wire_bus.jpg   center.jpg  

dgerlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:34 PM   #2

On my eagle ht fifthwheel the wires were looped up into the wall so it looked like there were 2 red and 2 black wires but when I pulled them out it was only one of each. I think the black wire went to the battery but it has been so long I am not sure.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:42 PM   #3

The two pair you found are either just a loop, or they are cut.
Without pulling the wires out (if you can’t), check if the roof connector has 12v with a multimeter.
If it does, then the wires are just a loop behind the wall.
If they are cut then the roof connector would be dead.

If you don’t want to put the controller where you found the wires...attach the reds and blacks together (if they are cut) and take the red wire off the buss and attach it to your controller then run a new wire from the controller to the buss or your switch system.
Ground the controller to the chassis ground.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:21 AM   #4

Thanks for the thoughts Klassic. I was concerned the red wire at the bus was also connected to tow vehicle charge line somewhere out of sight. I only installed a 10A controller-(because I had it laying around), and would not want to have more than 10A from tow vehicle. I suppose the inline fuse would go before the controller.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerlach View Post
Thanks for the thoughts Klassic. I was concerned the red wire at the bus was also connected to tow vehicle charge line somewhere out of sight. I only installed a 10A controller-(because I had it laying around), and would not want to have more than 10A from tow vehicle. I suppose the inline fuse would go before the controller.
Ya. I don’t get the tow vehicle line in the schematic.
Maybe follow that red wire as far as you can.
You might be right and it’s spliced, but it wouldn’t be very far away if it was. Usually that wire is a 10ga green wire and it going to go to the front of the trailer.
You don’t want the tow charge line in front of your controller.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:12 AM   #6

I am getting ready to do this, too, and had wondered where the bus was. Thanks for the the pic showing that it is by the disconnect. The shot of the schematic explains a few things, too.

Regarding your desire for a switch for charging via solar either on the side or via roof, are you using the same solar controller for both? If not and the solar on the side has a built in controller (most kits do) there is no harm in charging via multiple sources at a time for the short term. If the chargers have been in high voltage desulfation phases, you wouldn't want them all running.

If it isn't too much to ask, I would love to see some shots of your panel install once you get into it.

Thanks!
SickDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:00 PM   #7

Thanks Klassic- After I get my work done I'm going wire hunting! Stay tuned.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:13 PM   #8

SickDay- I will use the same controller-(it came of my sailboat I sold, doing the land thing now.) My plan is to add a selector switch that is fed by side, roof, or both and connect to controller input. I believe the operator should control what is happening. Currently I have 2 flex panels from boat on a 25' lead, that way if the roof were shaded I can place panels where there is sun via side connector. I intend to mount a rigid panel on roof, it will be nice when sun is on roof not to hassle moving flex panels around, good to have options. After I figure out what wiring I have from the roof, I will get and mount panel on roof. Stay tuned.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:12 PM   #9

Finished

Update and solutions. 1- from the factory, Jayco wired the bus wrong, the roof solar and tow vehicle charge wires were a connector off. Although electronically it didn't matter it was confusing. 2- I removed Command center and light switch again and this time pulled up harder on the 4 wires in question. Low and behold the ground was looped and positive wire cut and capped. Solution, but joined the positive, checked for battery volts on the roof and all was well. Switched wires at bus, fed my controller, tested roof and side feeds and all is fine! Will mount rigid panel on roof soon and keep flex panels for side feed. Thanks for the input!
Attached Thumbnails
bus.jpg   hidden.jpg   test.jpg   vl.jpg   amp.jpg