Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2021, 04:20 PM   #1

21' 377RLBH Generator DIY

Hello everybody!
We've been thinking about doing some harvest host overnights which brings us to the question of how we'd power our camper and more importantly the a/c's.

Our 21 377RLBH came generator prepped from the factory. My question to you all you is, how hard is it to DIY install the Onan 5500 LP in a generator prepped rig? Is it pretty plug and play? I'm somewhat handy/mechanically inclined.

What say the brain trust?

Thanks!
Scubayachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:03 PM   #2

I tried to give someone a hand to do an install of a generator once. It wasn’t a Jayco but did have a generator prep. If you’re mechanical / handy enough that you are looking for tasks to fill your weekends, it may be a DIY. But for me I’d just pay to have it installed. Wrangling a heavy device into a tight hole, plumbing LP, running and sealing the exhaust, and all related wiring was not what I’d call an easy DIY task. Entirely possible. But personally I think it’s one of those tasks worth paying to get done. Experience of having done many and having the right tools to move and place the generator easily could shave the better part of a day from the DIY time I spent.
RayPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:50 PM   #3

In my opinion, it's a lot cheaper to hang a portable generator at the back of the RV. The extra money you save will buy all kinds of anti-theft device. And when it breaks down, it's easy enough to remove and buy a new again. And it doesn't have to run every so often because it's cheap.
cgalutera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:08 AM   #4

I recently installed a 5500 in a non-prepped unit. If yours is prepped it’s really not too difficult. Hardest part will be putting the generator in the compartment. It was pretty easy for me, I put the generator on a small dolly, lowered the front of the camper, then just slid the generator in.
Since I had to put the “prep” in myself, I was fully prepared with the wiring and propane connections. Had a local muffler shop make an extension pipe for the exhaust, and I boxed out the compartment with heavy gauge sheet metal. Since yours is factory prepped the only thing you need to do custom is the exhaust.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:57 AM   #5

Plug and play but the exhaust. The most difficult part is getting the genset into the compartment. I used a forklift and a stack of pallets. Then adjusted the landing gear to match the height of the stacked pallets. Then slid it into the compartment with another guy.

On board gensets like the onan 5500 is way better than dealing with portables. Way more reliable than the cheap portables as well.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote