Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #1

317rsts rear camera

We have a new 317 RSTS and cannot get power to the rear mounted camera. We have been told there is a switch somewhere inside one of the bays, but can’t locate one anywhere. We have tried turning in the lights, putting in reverse, etc., but nothing is working. When the camera is taken off the mount and hooked up directly inside the cab of the truck, it works fine. This tells me the power just isn’t getting to the camera when it is mounted on the unit. Any ideas?
gharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #2

Correction: Our specific unit is a 2018 North Point 315 RLTS.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:08 PM   #3

Try giving Jayco a call. See if they will send you a wiring diagram of your trailer.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #4

We have a switch inside the docking station compartment. It is in the upper right hand side. It looks like a small interior light switch. We have a 2017 293rkds but I would think it would be in the same general location. There is also solar panel hookup in that area. Dont forget to turn the switch off when the unit is in storage it will run the battery down.
luvs2camp7164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:39 PM   #5

We also have the solar panel switch, but there is no switch for the camera. We have the 12v plug in the bedroom for the camera (that I actually just found and haven’t had a chance to check). Either there is a problem with the wiring to the rear of the unit for the camera or there is a switch somewhere. Either way, it’s getting pretty frustrating.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #6

I actually tried to call them today. I guess it was naive on my part to think they would have a 24 hour help line. :/
Thanks for your reply.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharrison View Post
We also have the solar panel switch, but there is no switch for the camera. We have the 12v plug in the bedroom for the camera (that I actually just found and haven’t had a chance to check). Either there is a problem with the wiring to the rear of the unit for the camera or there is a switch somewhere. Either way, it’s getting pretty frustrating.
Thanks for your reply.

I have 2017 291rsts, you mention solar panel SWITCH...there should be a solar panel PLUG, and a switch for the camera. Try switching the switch ON you think is for solar panel and then check your camera. Could be just mislabeled.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:14 PM   #8

Different trailer, but, my camera switch is inside the battery compartment.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:50 PM   #9

On my 2018 np, you have to have the lights to the tow vehicle on. No switch.
You started another thread on this issue?

CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch
Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:47 AM   #10

I have a 2019 321RSTS and the camera is hooked to your vehicle parking lights. You need to have your parking lights on for the camera to operate. In my package of material I received with the camper, it has a one page instruction on the location of the wire to hook up to a switch. On the eagle, it is located at the bedroom wall switch. I removed the switch and sure enough, wires hanging behind the switch. I installed another switch next to the light switch so I can turn it on and off and don't need the vehicle parking lights on.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringneks View Post
On my 2018 np, you have to have the lights to the tow vehicle on. No switch.
You started another thread on this issue?
Same with my 2018 NP, must have the lights on and the monitor plugged into a 12V socket. Also make sure it's properly paired with the camera.........that part should be automatic. There is no switch anywhere on my 2018 NP for the camera.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:22 PM   #12

True and thanks

Today we hook up and traveled 250 miles round trip in order to determine our backup camera problem. Here is the deal, the above posts are correct....you must have lights on in order to give power to the camera.

There is a label in the bedroom beside the charging that basically states that the rear camera can be used to *monitor behind the unit while traveling and *provide safety and security while inside the unit. When we asked the service manager how we were supposed to use it in the bedroom for safety and security if the monitor only works if the running lights of the vehicle are on (as if the truck would be left running with the lights on at night while we slept) he said that we were the only people he had ever heard of who wanted to use it for that purpose.

They came up with a way to make it work, but I seriously doubt it is the way that Jayco intended for it to work. We literally have to use a 30 amp fuse in the 7-way plug on the 5th wheel to connect the "hot" with the running lights. By jumping it out, it gives power to the camera without actually having to have the unit attached to the tow vehicle.

Odd.

Tags
backup camera, power to camera