Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2019, 04:50 PM   #1

5th wheel blues

Bought our first RV and after 3 years of research decided on a 5er. Bought a 2019 Eagle 317RLOK (37’ long)and love the floorplan and unit.

Here’s my blues: only gone on a couple short trips and honestly pulling it with our 2016 Ford F-250 scares the heck out of me. Traffic, ability to make turns, navigation (missing an exit), getting gas, ability to get in/out of park sites. I’ve dreamed of RVing for years and so far I’m not feeling the adventure or love!! 😂❤️
Then we have family and friends that have MH’s and they all go one and on about how much easier they are to maneuver and it makes me SO second guess buying our 5er. I’m a worrier and I guess I never thought how much emotionally the stress of actually traveling would scare me so much.
Anyone ever own both MH and a 5er that can help me with my fears?? Spending $50k and having anxiety over it is really rough. We just didn’t have the $$ for MH.
I sure could use some encouragement from some experienced RVers. . Thanks
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:28 PM   #2

We have a 2018 321RSTS which is basically the same with different floor plan and tow with 2017 2500 Silverado and get along well. Make certain tire pressures are correct (80 psi probably) which goes a long way toward stability. Think you will get more comfortable with it as you travel more. Our friends have class A motor homes which seem every bit as big in traffic, and they complain that the rattle, creek, and bang of the coach and all the stuff in cabinets wears on them while we are enjoying the quiet of the truck. Also like not having to tow another vehicle in order to have mobility once we’ve made camp. Hang in there and enjoy all the features of your Eagle.
Bill
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlarson59 View Post
Bought our first RV and after 3 years of research decided on a 5er. Bought a 2019 Eagle 317RLOK (37’ long)and love the floorplan and unit.

Here’s my blues: only gone on a couple short trips and honestly pulling it with our 2016 Ford F-250 scares the heck out of me. Traffic, ability to make turns, navigation (missing an exit), getting gas, ability to get in/out of park sites. I’ve dreamed of RVing for years and so far I’m not feeling the adventure or love!! 😂❤️
Then we have family and friends that have MH’s and they all go one and on about how much easier they are to maneuver and it makes me SO second guess buying our 5er. I’m a worrier and I guess I never thought how much emotionally the stress of actually traveling would scare me so much.
Anyone ever own both MH and a 5er that can help me with my fears?? Spending $50k and having anxiety over it is really rough. We just didn’t have the $$ for MH.
I sure could use some encouragement from some experienced RVers. . Thanks
You bought the same model we almost bought. But the 317 didn't have some of the things we wanted on our checklist. I had no plans on getting a 42' 3" fifth wheel since I've never towed anything close to that length. Our first was a 34' Open Range tt for two years and that was tough. Now we have had the 5'er for four months and have traveled from San Antonio to Pigeon Forge, TN and back, and to the Texas coast and back, and to another couple of nearby campgrounds. It gets better the more you travel. And I have a tow vehicle that can handle it, the Ram 3500 SRW. Go to the scales and make sure you're within your payload and tow capacity limits. Confidence in your tow vehicle goes a long way also. The 317 is an excellent unit. Get out there and enjoy it.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:26 PM   #4

Go to a scale and see how it looks on paper, thats a long rv too, and might be a little more than your truck is set up for.
I went that route for several years, and went back to a 30' FW, so I would not feel like I was towing a rolling condo behind me.
Just have patience, and plan way ahead when driving, like the big rigs do, and don't try to drive the posted speed limit, slow down, and relax.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:34 PM   #5

I pull a 2019 321RSTs with my GMC 2500 and it pulls great. Main thing is to stay in the right lane on the freeways which will allow you to drift a bit to the right. Yes you need to be careful when towing in traffic to keep it in the lane. You will get used to it. When making turns, make sure you make wide turns as the FW does not follow the tow vehicle like a small trailer. When getting gas, we always stop at truck stops as most have more room to get in and out. Allot of pilot / flying J gas stations have rv lanes. Watch some u tube videos on backing and turning a FW , it will help
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:35 PM   #6

As said, it will take a few trips to get your stress level down but it will happen. Run the rv tire pressure at max along with the truck. I pulled our 321RLTS for several years with a 2003 GMC 3/4 longbed crew with no issues but did add " super springs ". . I will say am way more comfortable towing with our Chevy Dually and can get the rv into some pretty tight places.
We have had a big class A Winny and you can have them.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:54 PM   #7

We have had a travel trailer, camper, class C, class A and our 291RSTS.

They all had different attributes in different times of our lives.

The camper was the most maneuverable, but too small. I might buy another for fishing trips. In most cases a nice one will overload even a 3500 of any brand.

The C and the A were best for winter travel (skiing) and were the best when our kids were small. Feeding and naps on the road were super easy. That would apply to grandkids also. Reasonable to get gas, but expensive to buy, expensive to drive with poor fuel economy, and get more expensive for repairs when it gets over 60k. When it broke down in the middle of nowhere, you’re screwed. Costs a fortune to tow for repairs, I know from experience. Parts can take a while to get depending on the drivetrain. License/tabs are expensive, insurance is expensive. I would still buy another if we were skiing with grandkids or if I needed to tow a boat. Those big $250k ones are a whole different subject since I’m assuming your looking at a more reasonably priced one.

Our current 5th wheel, tows great, sets up quick as a home base and allows us to a more reliable tow vehicle. (Take your pick, I have a Chevy diesel , but the Ford v-10 and Ram are all great, easy to tow and can be repaired quickly). It’s got more room that all the others, better floor plans than any MH I have seen. It took a awhile to get used to turning tight, avoiding curbs or ditches, and with a big fuel tank I need to plan fuel around big truck stops or filling up when the 5r is parked.

It’s all personal preference depending on your situation.
I needed a truck anyway, and I needed a RV. Didn’t want to spend a fortune on a MH and add a toad which comes with another insurance bill, so I saved a ton of money, went with a 5r and saved enough over a MH to go to Hawaii a couple times a year.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:02 PM   #8

You started out big and need time to develop confidence. We've been pulling an RV fiver for many years and I am still apprehensive at times. It's all part of the adventure. My wife is my navigator and she's gotten better over the years at letting me know when our exits are coming up how to get to the next stopover for fuel and camping. I keep my eyes on the road while she uses the GPS and paper maps if needed.
I only make trips with the trailer about twice a year and there's a lot to think about when we do, but once we're on the highway I settle in.
Lot's of good advice on the forum.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:11 PM   #9

I tow a 40’ Pinnacle. I admit to a little anxiety while doing so as I’ve really never towed anything before. OK a 12’ cargo trailer from VT to FL, but nothing as big as the Pinnacle.
I stay in the right lane on the highway, fuel up at truck stops, check tire temp when towing and pressure when cold. Also, don’t drive faster than 60-63mph. Plan fuel stops, actually plan everything.
My wife and I are full timers as of last Dec. and I still get excited when we hook up for a road trip. You will too, just give it a little seat time.
Happy trails!
Old 07-27-2019, 07:52 PM   #10

We have owned all types like several others have stated. It is just a learning curve that you will learn after just a short time. Currently in a 2019 321RSTS and love it, towed with a 2011 F250 diesel. As state, a little preplanning and patience will go a long way. Go have fun and don't hesitate to ask questions.
mikensue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:43 PM   #11

My buddy's first trailer is a 40' Cedar Creek. I went with him to pick it up. His truck is a 2015 2500 Silverado. It was pretty funny from my seat watching him literally white knuckle that poor rig 70 miles, even thru Detroit, on the way home. He was barely running 60mph.

Now, here he is on his 2nd year with it and he's driving it like a pro.
You just need a little more time in the pilot seat. You made a good choice vs buying a MH.
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:47 PM   #12

What you feel is totally fine. I've trained people on many vehicles. You admitting is the first thing that tells me you can work through this.

You have to get the things that stresses you, out of your head.

Fear is a good thing, it keeps you alert.

First you get good and then you get fast.

I have a 43 foot 355 MBQS and tow it with a 2013 F350. Lot of people watch me when I'm towing and parking, that's fine, my goal is to not let them make me do something I wouldn't do without them watching.

I bring people to an empty parking lot with pilons or cardboard boxes and practice till their stress level is at least reduced.

Take you truck to a weigh station and get real numbers.

Traffic, worry about things you can do something about. Traffic is a variable you can't control.

Making turns. Prefect this in a parking lot. A Fifth Wheel trailer will cut corners closer then the tow vehicle.

Gas Station. Get gas in truck stops till you feel comfortable.

Park Sites. Get sites bigger then your trailer till you get better. Get pull throughs till you get better. Look at the site pictures before you register. If there is no pictures use Google maps satellite view, so you can have some figure out before you get there.

I driven big buses and motor homes and nothing was easy for me till I got it out of head. I can tell in a short period of time you will get it. As I said, get good then fast.

Good luck and let us know how your doing.
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:54 AM   #13

I just moved from a 35’ OAL travel trailer to a 32’6” fifth wheel toy hauler, and the fiver is already tons better. It tows better, tracks better, and is easier to back in.

Your anxiety will go down with exposure and familiarity(just like everything else in life). My first trip in the original travel trailer was up a canyon to about 9500 ft, rain, wind blowing like crazy, and an undersized truck. White knuckle and adrenaline sweats the whole time. Nothing has been as bad as that first tow.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #14
Site Team

We went from a small tt to a small class A. At the time, it wasn't for us. We sold it and went to a succession of larger fivers ending with our current 38.5'

We also traded up from a 96 F350 dually PSD to a 06 SRW F350. We have never looked back but are seriously considering a class C when we are ready.

I have no complaints on the fiver though. It's like hauling you house.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:36 AM   #15

We upgraded from a 24’ bumper-pull to a 39’ 5th and the pain points you listed had me nodding my head in agreement. After 5-ish years and many miles I’ve adapted to its requirements. We plan our trips fairly carefully and on the road my wife researches our fuel stops and we plan on fueling at about 200 miles and like to cover 300 miles or so a day. Our fuel stops are mostly truck stops and I don’t enter a parking lot unless I can see that I can get back out. On the road we’ve started eating our lunches in rest stops when we have one convenient and fix a sandwich or something else easy to put together. This gives us a chance to have a little activity which refreshes both of us and depending on location can be very relaxing. We will also eat in the truck stop lot if needed.
The turns were a big learning “opportunity” for me and tho I can’t claim to be an expert I can keep us out of trouble for the most part. Right turns usually the most difficult, my mantra being “turn wide and turn late”. Backing, well I think the 5th can tell when I am fatigued and refuses to do what I want when I’m tired.
In a CG if I’m unsure of a turn or how to best start backing I will get out and study the obstructions and visualize how to safely move the rig. If I can’t see a solution I do something else.
The Bride is also invaluable in helping me back into a difficult spot, we communicate via cell.
I would also suggest weighing your combination to see how the weights compare to the TV’s max ratings.
In addition to the great suggestions already posted I recommend patience, and when you make a mistake or have a close call ask yourself “what should I have done”. The school of hard knocks is a great tho sometimes painful teacher but those are the lessons I remember the best.
A couple of years back I was backing into a difficult spot with our son watching and I nailed it the 1st time. My son commented, “damn dad, you’re gettin really good at that.” My comment was something like, “you caught me on a good day, even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while.”
There’s centuries of collective experience on this board.
Keep after it, and you will get better and rather than asking questions on JOF you will be one of the voices offering sage advice because you’ve been there.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:51 AM   #16

We tow a 317RLOK with a SRW F350. I agree that just watching for clearance on gas station canopies and finding places to turn around without hopping the curb can be unnerving, but we never have a problem on the road. My wife drove though West Virginia mountain passes when high wind warnings were posted and had no problem. I did scrap the Chinese ST tires early on and replaced them with solid LTs (12 ply steel, 6 ply in the sidewall). Other than that, it's stock.
jmaxcortner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxcortner View Post
We tow a 317RLOK with a SRW F350. I agree that just watching for clearance on gas station canopies and finding places to turn around without hopping the curb can be unnerving, but we never have a problem on the road. My wife drove though West Virginia mountain passes when high wind warnings were posted and had no problem. I did scrap the Chinese ST tires early on and replaced them with solid LTs (12 ply steel, 6 ply in the sidewall). Other than that, it's stock.
That's why an auxiliary fuel tank is an essential. Since installing one, I never have to take the 5th through a gas station. When I get to about an 1/8 tank on my main, I flip a switch which actuates a valve & pump which starts pumping fuel from my aux to the main tank while going down the road. When we get to our destination and unhitch, then at my leisure will take the truck to a local station and fill my aux and top off the main if necessary. AND prices for fuel are usually a lot lower than truck stops or stations along the main highways.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:35 PM   #18

Not really the same but kind of I guess. Before retiring from trucking I used to pull double 45ft trailers between Sioux City Iowa and Fargo ND. And triple 27 ft. trailers between Kansas City and Wichita. Always over 105 ft long overall and generally 100,000lbs gross weight. Like anything else, a learning curve involved. Did I ever get "used" to it? No, but I did get comfortable with it to a point. After almost 4 million miles accident free I still was learning the ropes the day I walked away from it. And I still learn things pulling our 37ft 5th wheel.
mikensue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikensue View Post
Not really the same but kind of I guess. Before retiring from trucking I used to pull double 45ft trailers between Sioux City Iowa and Fargo ND. And triple 27 ft. trailers between Kansas City and Wichita. Always over 105 ft long overall and generally 100,000lbs gross weight. Like anything else, a learning curve involved. Did I ever get "used" to it? No, but I did get comfortable with it to a point. After almost 4 million miles accident free I still was learning the ropes the day I walked away from it. And I still learn things pulling our 37ft 5th wheel.
Your contribution is greatly appreciated!! I'm started to enjoy the trip from point to point. I love the towing experience!! Especially if you have the correct towing setup............which in my HO, is the most important.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #20

Thanks to ALL!

THANKS! You all have given me hope that it WILL get better. I guess I'm just stretched too thin with new 5th wheel purchase and also trying to build so we can garage store our 5th wheel. Currently paying $300/month completely enclosed storage fee!

To add to my 5th wheel "acclimation" stress, we bought an acre of land and dealing with a 40' culvert placement/costs and building a 60'x100' barndominium (garage/shop/living area all under 1 roof-metal building. They're very popular in Texas.

The culvert has to transition from 20' wide road over a 5'deep ditch and road is about 2' higher than land. Then figure out the 60x100 building placement on the land so we have enough radius to pull in/turn and then back into covered building. Backing in off road onto our property is NOT an option. Not enough room to safely accomplish this and if you miss the mark, well I think you know! My brother is a 35 yr profession truck driver and he said NO dice!

Anyone build on their own land to store their RV? We're trying to figure out how much turning radius you have to have to safely back in a 37' 5th wheel into a 14'x18' garage area?

The land is almost a perfect square and is flat! 205' frontage x 196' length
We'll be pulling in off road using 40' culvert making a lefthanded turn (one good thing in our favor here). Then we'll have to pull back out of garage and have enough driveway to clear building and then turn left onto 40' culvert driveway to enter back onto the road.

We plan to create gradual slope from road to land and also build up the land some to help with the 2' difference between land & road.

If anyone knows of a website I can use to calculate amount of driveway needed (it will be gravel) to accomplish this please let me know. Maybe call Jayco and ask them?
Sorry for lengthy post! Hopefully I gave enough info to answer question.
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote