Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #1

Advice on Jayco Eagle 251RLS

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and trying to do as much research regarding the Eagle 251RLS that I am looking to possibly purchase. The one I am looking at is a 2005 model. Is there anything that I should be looking out for for this particular year model? Anyone have any experience with it both positive and negative please? I have never owned a 5th wheel, currently have a Keystone Outback TT and looking to upgrade in size and have been encouraged to go the 5th wheel route for ease of use and towing. We typically camp maybe 6 to 7 weeks out of the year and it is only me and my wife when we camp (now a small ****er spaniel also). We really don't need anything larger and to be honest, it maybe difficult storing this one at my home when not in use due to the "very" limited amount of space that I have, but think we should be close. I currently store the Outback at my home but it is only a 22' unit (Keystone Outback 21RS). So behind the truck it is approximately 23' and I believe this 5th wheel will be about 26' or so behind the truck (please correct me if I am wrong here). I will be towing with a 2005 Ford F250 V10 4X4 short bed with 4.10 rear end so I believe the tow vehicle is more than sufficient, just need to get the propert slider hitch to make sure the coach doesn't come into contact with the cab in tight turns. Any suggestions, thoughts, comments would greatly be appreciated especially on this particular coach. I have been doing a good bit of research on Jayco units and the overall opinions has been positive (of course there are always folks that are hard to please and have huge expectations). I just want one that has a good track record, good customer feedback, and that will hold up for sometime to come. Since we are fairly new into camping I tend to spend alot of time outdoors (camping right?) and only indoors when weather warrants. So I believe accomodation wise this should more than suffice since we currently use a 22' Travel Trailer now.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
slogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #2

Well your truck is good for at least a good 12,000-15,000# trailer weight for what I found. So you could ger just about anything you wanted.
http://www.trailerlife.com/images/do...ngs_p12_15.pdf

As for picking out a trailer... Your floorplan is the most important thing. Are you and your wife going to be happy with the layout of everything? Is there enough counter space for cooking / food prep?

As for the trailer crawl around it (really) get on your hand and knees and look under at the axles, bottom, etc. Look for damage, repairs, etc. Look at the tire and conditon...

Ask if you can get up on the roof. Look at that too. Look closely at the vents, seams, etc for seal damage. Inside look closely at the walls if something doesn't look right push on it a bit and see if it moves (rotten).

Just few thing to look at..
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #3

Thanks for the input. We do most of our cooking outdoors, less mess on the inside and keeps the cooking ordors at bay. We only use the indoors if it is really nasty outside and dark. Any known issues for that make and model year Jayco? I am assuming that the Eagle line has a good reputation for well built and longevity, based on some of the other reviewers inputs, hope I am right on this? Also, does anyone know the specs for that particular unit, like the outside height demensions?

Thanks again,
Scott
Old 02-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #4

Hmmm... The best I could say is to give Jayco a call directly...
http://www.jayco.com/php/about/contact.us.php

Ask one of the techs I'm sure they would be willing to supply the specs on it like dimensions, size, weights, etc...
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #5

Thanks for the link to contact them and I'll certainly do that. I tried doing internet searches for that particular model and came up with nothing. I did find a 281rls but obviously there are probably differences between the two models.
Thanks again,
Scott
Old 02-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #6

Go to this page: http://www.jayco.com/php/products/fl...42&mod_id=1231 On the left hand side of the page, scroll down to the Product Archive. Click on that and follow the prompts - you can find all sorts of information about a 2005 25.1RLS. When you get to the "View" choice, note that there is a menu to choose from, including floorplans and specifications.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #7

Thanks RVhiker, that was exactly what I was looking for. Great information!!

Thanks again,
Scott
Old 02-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #8

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum Scott! We almost bought a Keystone but were steered away due to the numerous bad reviews we read online regarding quality as well as customer support. We found even better reviews with older used Jayco's. Hope all was well with your Keystone and even better with the Jayco! Post pics when you get the new Jayco
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum Scott! We almost bought a Keystone but were steered away due to the numerous bad reviews we read online regarding quality as well as customer support. We found even better reviews with older used Jayco's. Hope all was well with your Keystone and even better with the Jayco! Post pics when you get the new Jayco
Thanks for the kind welcome and I hope to go and see the Eagle today but waiting on confirmation if it will be available to be seen today or not. Hopefully all is well with it when I do get the opportunity to look at it. The feedback that I have received regarding this particular Eagle is it has a little musky smell in it and a slight carpet stain. I wonder how hard it would be to get the musky smell out?

The Keystone that I have has been a good unit, just compact. It has a slide out but out the rear where as the side slide outs give a good bit more passing room when moving around in the coach so that is another reason why we are looking at this one.

If it all works out I'll definitely post pics of the unit.

Thanks again,
Scott