Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2024, 02:53 PM   #1

Another question on tank smells.

we are having sewer smell issue from kitchen island and have changed the cheater vent 3 times in last 2 years, is there a proper vent that Jayco can suggest?
Robert Bice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 08:08 AM   #2

You need to clean that tank. I had Kleen tank come and do mine. Kitchen tanks can and will smell worse than the black tank. If you don’t want to pay them, put a strong mix of vinegar, dawn dish soap and water and fill the tank and let it sit for 4-6 hours. You’ve probably got some pretty bad mold growing in there.
Randyman69357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 02:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman69357 View Post
You need to clean that tank. I had Kleen tank come and do mine. Kitchen tanks can and will smell worse than the black tank. If you don’t want to pay them, put a strong mix of vinegar, dawn dish soap and water and fill the tank and let it sit for 4-6 hours. You’ve probably got some pretty bad mold growing in there.
Sorry Randyman, a few Qs for you:

How much did your Kleen Tank cost, and was it for all (3?) of your tanks?
How often do you think you would use that service?
Did your sensor levels improve/stay the same after words?

(Agree the galley tank can be a special kind of trouble, fortunately has not been an issue for us yet)
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 04:52 PM   #5
CAG

Happy Camper works in gray tanks also. Close the valve, put happy camper in and leave it until the tank fills and has to be emptied.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 07:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Happy Camper works in gray tanks also. Close the valve, put happy camper in and leave it until the tank fills and has to be emptied.
you have to pre-mix Happy Camper...correct?

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 08:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
Sorry Randyman, a few Qs for you:

How much did your Kleen Tank cost, and was it for all (3?) of your tanks?
How often do you think you would use that service?
Did your sensor levels improve/stay the same after words?

(Agree the galley tank can be a special kind of trouble, fortunately has not been an issue for us yet)
Kleen tank cost $275 for all three tanks. They came to our snowbird park in AZ and put on a presentation. The only reason I had them do it was to see if I could get the gauges to read accurately. We bought this new and shortly afterwards they quit reading accurately. They did get the tanks to read empty for a week, then back to reading 1/3 when empty. Maybe it’s the level of the coach, we will be leaving in three weeks so will better gauge it once we start slopping around on the road and staying at other parks on the way home. I won’t do it again as they did admit my tank’s were in good shape cleanliness wise. Now that they have cleaned them out, I will use their recipe for tank treatment as it will keep the crud from building up. I always have been real diligent about flushing out the tanks when I drain them so as to keep this from happening. Probably the gauges never worked right or never will from now on, but I had to try it just once to prove to myself that it wasn’t something stuck to the sensors.
Randyman69357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 08:38 AM   #8
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
you have to pre-mix Happy Camper...correct?
Nope. One scoop down the drain or toilet.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:42 AM   #9
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman69357 View Post
Kleen tank cost $275 for all three tanks. They came to our snowbird park in AZ and put on a presentation. The only reason I had them do it was to see if I could get the gauges to read accurately. We bought this new and shortly afterwards they quit reading accurately. They did get the tanks to read empty for a week, then back to reading 1/3 when empty. Maybe it’s the level of the coach, we will be leaving in three weeks so will better gauge it once we start slopping around on the road and staying at other parks on the way home. I won’t do it again as they did admit my tank’s were in good shape cleanliness wise. Now that they have cleaned them out, I will use their recipe for tank treatment as it will keep the crud from building up. I always have been real diligent about flushing out the tanks when I drain them so as to keep this from happening. Probably the gauges never worked right or never will from now on, but I had to try it just once to prove to myself that it wasn’t something stuck to the sensors.

Trying to get gauges to work properly will drive you nuts if you obsess over it.
There are volumes of threads here on that topic and no solution that works all the time. Learn the signs of a full black tank so you know when to dump and leave the gray tank open and enjoy your RV.

Old 03-19-2024, 07:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Trying to get gauges to work properly will drive you nuts if you obsess over it.
There are volumes of threads here on that topic and no solution that works all the time. Learn the signs of a full black tank so you know when to dump and leave the gray tank open and enjoy your RV.
Do you think KleenTank and the like is a pointless service?
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 10:03 AM   #11
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
Do you think KleenTank and the like is a pointless service?
I would think that if you had a clog, slow drain or some issue it would help but just to clean a tank because you want to clear tank probes yes.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:04 PM   #12
Site Team

Our gray tank started showing 1/3rd full all the time after 8 years, so I replaced them with Horst Miracle probes. There's a good You Tube video out there showing how to easily pop the old ones out and install new ones in the same hole. It may be more involved if your underside is covered with coroplast.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T213...undefined&th=1

I did get the new sensors for the black tank, but the originals still work since we wand the tank after a trip. Have yet to install those.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T213..._F4B02CC905E0_

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 12:01 PM   #13

This has worked for us in the past. I usually break up the tablets for the bathroom sink, shower and both sinks in my kitchen.
Walex Elemonate RV Grey Water Tank Deodorizer and Freshener
hjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 02:50 PM   #14

Another vote for Happy Camper in both black and gray tanks. NO smell at all from either. Mix one scoop in one gallon of water. Pour down the shower or sink drain and then add two more gallons of clean water. DONE! Same for the black tank. EZ! That stuff simply works! No fake perfume-pimp-wagon or citrus-gas-station-bathroom smell at all.
Bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 05:17 PM   #15
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
Another vote for Happy Camper in both black and gray tanks. NO smell at all from either. Mix one scoop in one gallon of water. Pour down the shower or sink drain and then add two more gallons of clean water. DONE! Same for the black tank. EZ! That stuff simply works! No fake perfume-pimp-wagon or citrus-gas-station-bathroom smell at all.

But, again, I never found the need to mix. Dump it in the toilet, fill the bowl and flush a couple of times.

Old 03-23-2024, 06:53 PM   #16

Holding tanks, not septic tanks. Not the same.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 06:55 PM   #17
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
Holding tanks, not septic tanks. Not the same.

This is RV, who had septic tanks with RV? Happy Camper is for RV holding tanks. What are you talking about?

Old 03-24-2024, 06:07 AM   #18

Been using Happy Camper for years after trying many others and found it to be the best option. I use it for black and grey.
tnka trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 12:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Nope. One scoop down the drain or toilet.

You should dissolve one scoop in a full water-filled toilet bowl and then flush it down the drain.
Dan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 09:25 AM   #20

Mixing Happy Camper

Quote:
But, again, I never found the need to mix. Dump it in the toilet, fill the bowl and flush a couple of times.
I mix my Happy Camper. Here's why. Putting a scoop of HC into a bowl of water shows that the product clumps. It takes a lot of mixing to get that stuff to dissolve. So I don't know about its performance in the tank(s)
I have a one gallon jug dedicated to mixing the HC. Just add the HC to water, close the top and shake the jug vigorously until there are no more visible clumps.
JimLaJoie is offline   Reply With Quote