Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2016, 11:35 PM   #1

Another Triple Tow Question

I didn't want to hyjax the other triple tow post so here is my question. Over the years I have been to more than one place thinking I'd love to have the ATV's here. I was in AZ early in the month and most of the campers there were snow birds with multi TV's & ATV's. I know some states limit total over all length but how do you determine weights? I have 3 ATV's and a 16ft 2 axle flatbed I load them on. If I have a good hitch welded to the 5W how do you determine "max hitch/tow weight?" I have not scaled the loaded flatbed as it pulls fine even with my 1/2 ton.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:50 AM   #2

Just my humble thoughts here. If you have toys that you would like to take on trips with you, you may want to look at a toy hauler. Before you weld a good hitch on the back end, study the warranty policy real good. From both Jayco and the frame manufacturer.

I know people have done this with a good deal of success. But, to me, it's not worth the risk of what could happen to your RV that could be very expensive to repair!
dalengail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:56 AM   #3

There is more and more vertical movement at the back of the 5'er as it's length increases. I'm sure those of us with long 5'ers have experienced movement to varying degrees with "stuff" stored in the very back while traveling. I have a rear mounted TV that is on an electric lift that always travels in the down position so no problem there since it is bolted down. The rest of this rear area has an electric fireplace with storage shelves on either side. I used to travel with a PlayStation 3 on one of the top shelves with the door to the shelf closed. Again, this shelf is on the back wall of my 5'er. After a few hundred miles the PS3 had obviously moved up and down while traveling enough to actually break through the shelf floor and ended up, shelf floor and all, sitting on the stuff in the lower storage area which is right on the floor/carpet. I replaced this piece of shelf with 1/4" plywood using the old broken piece as a template and also moved the PS3 to the bottom floor position. With this experience with the PS3 I can not even imagine having a rear kitchen in a long RV with shelves full of dishes/glasses, etc. I am a very non-aggressive driver so my driving style wasn't the problem.

Now back to towing behind the 5'er. With this much vertical movement that is obviously there, what impact will this have to a trailer being towed? I have seen this configuration on the road and the movement is very obvious as I am being passed and watching stuff on the trailer bouncing up and down.

The bottom line for me is No Way, No How, Never! It just isn't worth the risk to me not to mention the states where it isn't legal including the state I live in and usually travel to or through.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalengail View Post
Just my humble thoughts here. If you have toys that you would like to take on trips with you, you may want to look at a toy hauler. Before you weld a good hitch on the back end, study the warranty policy real good. From both Jayco and the frame manufacturer.

I know people have done this with a good deal of success. But, to me, it's not worth the risk of what could happen to your RV that could be very expensive to repair!
I love the configuration on my 5W & it's the occasional trip I'd like the ATV's. The 5W is out of warranty ( 2nd owner and Jayco turned down cap fade repair when it was 1 year old) I live in the SW and triple is legal in most of the states. The 16ft flat bed has 2 axles and it's own suspension with ATV's strapped down. I can very tongue weight with loading order. In NM I would have to be under 65ft and the last trailer under 3K. I was hoping for an answer from someone that tows like this, or CamperBob with his experience. This might not be for everyone but I might give it a try to have the ATV's the times I want them. I can use the hitch other times for one of the cargo carriers/bike rack/small M/C mount? I drove professionally in the past so over all length is not an issue.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote