Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2019, 05:33 PM   #1

Antenna working???????not

4th trip in our new 2018 Pinnacle. First 3 trips decent tv stations this last trip nothing. Yes I’ve scanned and scanned, booster is on. All TVs are not working. Could the coax have come undone from antenna? Will the booster light be on if the booster isn’t working? All connectors are tight. Anyone have any ideas why all of a sudden no pic?
It a Winegard Rayzer z1
Schuttecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:38 PM   #2

Are you going to the same location? Some areas just don't get reception. Have you tried turning your antenna?
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:47 PM   #3

No, we have other campers in same parks and had reception.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #4

Winegard tech said coax probably pulled out of antenna! great! How do I fix that?
Old 05-23-2019, 06:59 PM   #5

I would add it to your warranty list for the dealer. If not, pull out the antenna manual and you should be able to figure out how to access where the connection is at the antenna.

Does it work at home?

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:04 PM   #6

More than 1 TV with this problem? My first thought was that you changed the “Source” on the remote somehow, but if the problem is on more than 1 TV that isn’t likely. Highly unlikely the coax pulled out of the antenna unless you drove under something to damage it. Then you would probably have AC damage as well.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #7

Jayco uses cheap crimp on connectors. You can pull them right off. I went through my whole trailer removing those installed good compression connectors.

So it wouldn't surprise me if the cable fell or pulled out of the connector. Or the threaded connection came apart. Most of my threaded connections were barely on a thread or two.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:50 PM   #8

Yep. That’s what I’m thinking has happened. Thanks
Old 05-23-2019, 08:00 PM   #9

If you went from a significant number of stations to next to nothing I'd agree the coax probably became disconnected. How easy the fix will be depends on where the disconnect occurred and how much work you've got to do to get to it.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:30 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

This might be a crazy suggestion, but are you sure the antenna is still on the roof?

Someone recently said they hit a branch and knocked their antenna off. Another one said they lost their antenna in transit, just flew away..

You never know...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:47 PM   #11

Yep. Went up there to see if coax was exposed anywhere. It all “looked” good as new.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:53 PM   #12

Is there a way to remove antenna without redoing all the lap sealant? If I could get inside it to see coax probably could fix it. All the videos show scraping sealant off to remove antenna. Winegard parts manual doesn’t show enough.��
Old 05-24-2019, 05:39 AM   #13

If its accessible, I'd also pull the booster panel and check connections behind it.
Another test would be to hook up another piece of coax to one of the tvs and see what you get with another antenna, just run it out a door.
My money is on it being a missed or bad connection.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:37 PM   #14

Thanks. Think I’m going to try that. The booster is connected but will try another antenna. Thanks again
Old 06-01-2019, 01:10 PM   #15

Antenna Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttecow View Post
4th trip in our new 2018 Pinnacle. First 3 trips decent tv stations this last trip nothing. Yes I’ve scanned and scanned, booster is on. All TVs are not working. Could the coax have come undone from antenna? Will the booster light be on if the booster isn’t working? All connectors are tight. Anyone have any ideas why all of a sudden no pic?
It a Winegard Rayzer z1
Schuttecow - sorry to hear you're having problems. If it worked before and doesn't work now, something most likely came disconnected. Try plugging in a 3rd party HDTV antenna into the back of your TV directly (bypass Winegard). This will tell you if there's an issue with the antenna. You'll want to make sure the HDTV antenna is by a window or OUTSIDE the rig when testing. If still not working, could be an issue with the TV feed/tuner.

Good Luck!
Old 06-01-2019, 02:10 PM   #16

I kept rotating my King Jack and broke the connection on the inside of the trailer. It is just a piece of thin wire and the antenna is not supposed to rotate 360. If it does, it is broke there. There are a lot of connections that can just come loose.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:12 PM   #17

I'm certainly not trying to insult your intelligence but are you sure the TV is set to antenna as opposed to cable and the little button near where the cable from the TV attaches to the trailer is pushed in/out...whichever is correct for antenna? That's one that has got me on more than one occasion. I'd hate for you to rip apart the antenna on the roof only to find that it's something simple like that.
jlawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:28 AM   #18

Our TV over the dining table (front) has a very bad connection to the antenna. Bedroom and outside TVs work fine. I pulled the coax from the front TV (not easy but luckily not screwed on too tightly as noted by others here) and connected to a TV I brought from home. Still bad. I then hooked up an external HDTV antenna and it worked fine.

I know there has to be a splitter somewhere so I'm going to find it and see if the front TV coax has come loose there. Otherwise, I guess there is a break somewhere in the coax itself. I should also say that the dealer had to pull the slides off to replace the floor so a loose connection or broken cable seems likely but that's another story altogether.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:39 AM   #19

Here is a Print of the coax connections.

Maybe disconnect the antenna connection from the antenna power supply and connect another input.

https://postlmg.cc/hzCynS5S
MPD56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:19 AM   #20

NO tv picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttecow View Post
It a Winegard Rayzer z1
Had the same issue....found out after really looking, I had completely torn off the HDTV antenna on the front of the roof, probably on a low hanging branch in a CG. Easy fix obviously! There is no protection in front of that antenna and I could see how it could easily become dislodged.......
Jxfire is offline   Reply With Quote