Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2022, 06:00 PM   #21

Well, something else is going on.

The second battery is getting hot as well, UNLESS both of them are toast at this point, which seems unlikely. I'll have them both tested, and if they test out, I'll have to take it in for warranty to see what's wrong with the converter...
Old 04-23-2022, 08:50 PM   #22

check the voltage on your disconnected batteries, they should be 12.9 volts. If you are reading 12.0-12.4 volts the batteries are either dead and or shorted. Also check the voltage at your disconnected battery post with shore power plugged in, you should see 14.0-14.5 volts. Make sure the disconnted battery lug are not shorting against anything before you do this test.. If you are measuring the 14.0 14.5 volts chances are higher your converter is in good shape.. If voltage is any liigher, you are cooking the batteries. (bad oncverter)
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 06:37 AM   #23

that is a very dangerous situation...batteries can exploded...if they exploded in your face the acid can cause blindness. Please get help with this ASAP!

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:14 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
that is a very dangerous situation...batteries can exploded...if they exploded in your face the acid can cause blindness. Please get help with this ASAP!
x2! I saw a friends car under hood area where his battery exploded and ruined all the wiring and components under the hood. What a mess!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:15 AM   #25

Yes agreed that a hot battery is not good to play with.

I had the same exact problem about 5 months ago while camping. I could smell the problem, but could not figure out what it was. I thought black tank issue until like you, I opened the front compartment and it was obvious then. My battery was also very hot to the touch.

I cut the power, let it cool and swapped out the battery. I only have one, so I didn't need to troubleshoot much. My camper is also 5 yrs old and was not new. After the new battery - no more issues and yes it was a bad/short cell in the battery.

keep in mind - these batteries do sit for months or longer in a warehouse.
Old 04-24-2022, 07:45 AM   #26

After having a battery short out on me, I bought shock absorbing gel battery mats. Great investment. Also keeps the batteries from moving.

https://www.amazon.com/MEGAWARE-BATT...e%2C118&sr=1-6
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 05:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman_ks View Post
Well, something else is going on.

The second battery is getting hot as well, UNLESS both of them are toast at this point, which seems unlikely. I'll have them both tested, and if they test out, I'll have to take it in for warranty to see what's wrong with the converter...
Our '21 Pinnacle did the same thing last fall after having it for a little over a month. Here is my take on your issue. I had the same batteries as you. Dealer was not aware their shop had installed those in the camper. He said he had issues before with the sealed batteries not having enough water in them from the factory. My battery compartment got so hot you couldn't touch the metal shelf above. One of the batteries vented in the compartment, and a sharp- eyed member on this site noticed it. I have a thread on it somewhere. There was nothing wrong with the camper. Our dealer is 300+ miles away, so I took them off and had them tested at the nearest Interstate distributor almost 50 miles away. They tested fine, although still hot, and they commented on this fact, yet he would not replace them under warranty. he actually said if I replaced them with regular flooded units, they would resell these!! I bought regular flooded Interstate replacement batteries, and all has been well since. Dealer did reimburse me for the cost. I tested temps in the compartment as high as 195-200F. I am pretty sure this is your problem. Took me days to get this sorted out.

We also have solar installed, so that threw another wrench in the equation, but as I said, I highly doubt there is anything wrong with your electrical system, those Interstate sealed batteries are low on water from the factory. Our dealer said his local interstate Rep didn't like the sealed units either.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:56 AM   #28

I was thinking about AGM's for my next battery replacement, which may be sooner than later. Jetlag, when you say sealed are you referring to AGM or sealed lead acid?
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:02 AM   #29

No, pretty sure these were typical Interstate Sealed water/acid batteries. I don't recall reading AGM anywhere, plus I can't imagine dealers putting expensive batteries as OEM lol. The replacement batteries were identical, except they had water caps.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:46 AM   #30

Thanks. I have a couple of 6 volt Trojan batteries, T105's if I remember correctly. I have an AGM starting battery in my bass boat and it has been great. I like low maintenance stuff the older I get. AGM's for the Pinnacle are tempting.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:52 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
I was thinking about AGM's for my next battery replacement, which may be sooner than later. Jetlag, when you say sealed are you referring to AGM or sealed lead acid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
No, pretty sure these were typical Interstate Sealed water/acid batteries. I don't recall reading AGM anywhere, plus I can't imagine dealers putting expensive batteries as OEM lol. The replacement batteries were identical, except they had water caps.
Yeah, that's what mine are. Lead / acid batteries that are non-maintenance type.

My Interstate batteries are NOT AGM's...
Old 04-25-2022, 03:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Yeah, that's what mine are. Lead / acid batteries that are non-maintenance type.

My Interstate batteries are NOT AGM's...
I bet if you replace them with regular lead/acid or AGM or Lithium for that matter, you issue will be gone. I thought it was my post when I read you first one, so similar our issues are/were.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
Thanks. I have a couple of 6 volt Trojan batteries, T105's if I remember correctly. I have an AGM starting battery in my bass boat and it has been great. I like low maintenance stuff the older I get. AGM's for the Pinnacle are tempting.
And they should do well I would think
Old 04-26-2022, 05:25 AM   #34

UPDATE: I stopped by the local hardware store, that is the Interstate dealer. They said that they would have the Interstate evaluate them, and see if they are warrantable.

But, as I was taking them out, I noticed that the sides of them are bulged, from getting so hot, so I'm assuming that they won't warranty them.

At the end of the day, not a big deal. If they don't, I'm going to a AGM's, and forget this lead / acid sealed, or LA maintainable batteries.

We'll see what they say...
Old 04-26-2022, 05:30 AM   #35

Quote:
UPDATE: I stopped by the local hardware store, that is the Interstate dealer. They said that they would have the Interstate evaluate them, and see if they are warrantable.

But, as I was taking them out, I noticed that the sides of them are bulged, from getting so hot, so I'm assuming that they won't warranty them.

At the end of the day, not a big deal. If they don't, I'm going to a AGM's, and forget this lead / acid sealed, or LA maintainable batteries.

We'll see what they say...
If they are new batteries they should cover them. I am pretty sure my dealer would not have covered the cost of AGM's, and the regulars lead/acid units are doing fine. But, the important thing is you have found your issue and easily fixed.
Old 04-26-2022, 05:52 AM   #36

Confirm what the problem is and fix it first before you put new batteries on your rig. You may get two brand new batteries and they do the same thing. If the converter is the culprit, the batteries won't be warrantable because nothing was wrong with them. Most places have to do a draw test to confirm faulty batteries before handing out new ones under a warranty claim. I've sold batteries to people, just to have them come back a week later stating the battery was bad. After the draw test, it was confirmed they had a bad alternator and the battery was not warranted. Same would be true if it was a bad converter.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 11:24 AM   #37

Just remember AGM’s take longer to charge than regular lead acids. Not a big deal if your on shore power but you will run a generator longer to get them charged.

Both my sons primary use their rigs for hunting and use then the Gen to recharge, they both pulled the AGM’s and went to 6v CG2 lead acid.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:03 PM   #38
Site Team

Make sure your converter is able to charge the new batteries if not Lead acid.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 03:13 PM   #39

Im going to ask a question that I have not seen yet, so just asking a question. Does this trailer have any solar on it? If so had you recently added any panels etc?

I ask as I recently completed my solar install, but did it in phases due to a trip and time. I ran into the situation where the stock GoPower charger/controller was overloaded (even though GP said it could handle 600w, it cant!). But thankfully different systems in the trailer and my lithium battery were protected with separate controllers as the solar was pumping out 16-18v. Which would easily cause a battery issue with a LA or AGM type battery.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:50 PM   #40

Solar panels are designed to put out 18-24volts, it’s the controllers job to reduce the voltage to whatever the batteries need. A MPPT controller will take that extra voltage and convert it to additional usable charging power, a PWM controller will not.