Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2022, 09:10 AM   #1

Bed Support Struts

Since we changed mattresses the struts will no longer hold the bed up. We'll probably be changing mattresses again (don't buy a Sealy Cocoon unless you like sleeping on concrete). Some mattresses I'm shopping are even heavier. There's a bunch of struts on Amazon with various weight ratings. Do you match the rating to the weight of the mattress, get the highest rating, or what?
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:56 AM   #2

If you buy them with to high a rating you won't be able to close the bed easily. I bought to light ones before I switched to a 10 inch Zinus which weighs a lot more.

My solution next spring will be to add a powered lift motor to my current lifters. That way I won't have to worry about it coming down on my head while for that elusive item I keep under the bed.
My intent is to install a linear actuator with plenty of power in the center of the bed and leave the two gas struts on the sides. That way it will avoid stressing one point on the bed and also avoid the need for a lot of reinforcement under the bed.
Hint, if you install struts on the side throw away the screws and add bolts to avoid pulling out the screws like mine did. I also reinforced my sidewall with some small metal plates to spread the load and added some 1x2s.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote