Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2019, 05:41 PM   #21

For theses GroundControl jacks it would be impossible to get any oil down from the top.
You could do the grease in the tube trick though.
I just don’t see how it is going to stay on the threads very long.
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
The problem is the nut should be 2 to 3 times longer putting less strain on the treads and the nut moves up and down with the leg pushing the grease away from it each time it is used. Some one could weld two or three nuts together once they are threaded onto the shaft, but I don't have an answer to keep it greased. But these things are only built for people that use their trailer two weeks a year going to one camp site and back home. So Klassic each time you drop your trailer at the dealership you have use up your one year usage( sorry could not resist). So that is a $800.00 cad nut

Agreed, this is the main problem. Amount of threads and type of steel are directly proportional to weight rating. They probably should double it.
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:16 PM   #23

With the jacks extended I have been spraying some lubricant in this opening heavily and often.
[IMG][/IMG]

I have been using this.
[IMG][/IMG]

I was thinking of also trying this.
[IMG][/IMG]

I kind of like the idea of some heavy oil. Maybe something synthetic?

Anything has got to be better than doing nothing.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:49 PM   #24

You’re spraying it on the side of the inner leg. The rod is inside the inner leg and the nut block is at the top inside the inner leg.
You should see your spray running out between the outer and inner leg.
Not that it’s not helping, but you could do the same thing a lot easier by extending the jacks and spraying all sides of the inner leg.
Since the inner leg rubs on the outer leg near the bottom you are helping that slide easier.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
Old 05-05-2019, 07:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
You’re spraying it on the side of the inner leg. The rod is inside the inner leg and the nut block is at the top inside the inner leg.
You should see your spray running out between the outer and inner leg.
Not that it’s not helping, but you could do the same thing a lot easier by extending the jacks and spraying all sides of the inner leg.
Since the inner leg rubs on the outer leg near the bottom you are helping that slide easier.

Is it possible to extend the inner leg down enough to spray the lube 2naEagle is using so it would get on the top of the inner leg nut?
Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:08 PM   #26

Yes. I guess if the inner leg is lower than the space where 2naEagle is spraying, then he is actually spraying the threads, if he can get the hose aimed correctly.
I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to drill a hole in the outer leg and spray the rod with the inner leg down.
Where he is spraying you could actually cut that little section out. And spray up and down.
This might be good.

It is also fairly easy to take the inner leg right out.
Take the motor off and there is a little cotter pin holding the pin that goes through the top of the threaded rod. It would drop right out if you have enough height to feed it out the bottom.

Or just remove the whole jack assembly, that’s pretty easy too.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:19 PM   #27

I’m going to cut that section out of my old left jack and spray it.

Like Eagle said, it’s better than doing nothing.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:43 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
With the jacks extended I have been spraying some lubricant in this opening heavily and often.

[IMG][/IMG]

I have been using this.

[IMG][/IMG]

I was thinking of also trying this.

[IMG][/IMG]

I kind of like the idea of some heavy oil. Maybe something synthetic?

Anything has got to be better than doing nothing.

I cannot see the pics fir some reason. If you are spraying oil on the threads make sure to keep lubricating often now. You probably washed the grease off the threads.
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:54 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargo View Post
I cannot see the pics fir some reason. If you are spraying oil on the threads make sure to keep lubricating often now. You probably washed the grease off the threads.
That’s the problem. There is no grease left on the threads.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:20 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Yes. I guess if the inner leg is lower than the space where 2naEagle is spraying, then he is actually spraying the threads, if he can get the hose aimed correctly.
I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to drill a hole in the outer leg and spray the rod with the inner leg down.
Where he is spraying you could actually cut that little section out. And spray up and down.
This might be good.
I did that with mine. Drilled a hole a bit below the top where the gear set is. I lowered the jacks down then blocked the front of the trailer so I could run them in and out unloaded. I used a pump oil can to squirt oil in. Maybe helped. My jacks are really slow and trip the breaker anyway so hard to tell if I had any improvement.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:36 PM   #31

I'm still going to cut mine open Klassic. Just haven't had time yet. I too want to figure out how to get the screw and nut lubed to prevent future failure.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:54 AM   #32

I kept having front left problems. Factory replaced jack told me a metal burr was causing problems. Metal burr is probably code for broken off threads. Keep us posted about a lube fix.
Today I get my new Carolina RV carport ( thank u hurricane Mike) so now I need to not only pray to the schwintec gods but also now the landing gear gods.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #33

A small hole drilled close to the top of the outer tube will work. Probably should put a rubber plug in it to keep dust from collecting in there. I just took mine apart to check the threads (it’s been struggling but I think it’s the motor) like everyone else a nice fresh pile of grease at the bottom of the screw but little to none on the nut. I wiped the fresh grease off and reapplied to the nut before reassembly. If you drill a hole at the top of the outer leg, then extend the landing gear that will expose the threads. You can either spray chain and gear lube on it, or drill a large enough hole to get the tip of a grease gun in there.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:15 PM   #34

Since I have not had one apart please post a pic of where to drill. Did u do all of yours or just the landing gear
Rock
Old 05-10-2019, 03:49 PM   #35

Rock look at 2naEagles pic on the previous page.
I think if you cut that expanded part he was spraying into, then you could pretty much look inside and you could aim the spray hose right onto the rod.

That expanded notch is the same thing on the other side of the jack and it’s where the jack rests on the mounting brackets (top and bottom).
They are on both sides of the jack so the jack can be mounted on the left or the right.

I still haven’t called Lippert... I need my wife’s cell phone because she has US calling and I don’t.
I want to see what they say about spraying lube on the rod before I cut my hole and spray it.

What I really want to do is live closer to Turtle Tim and swap his broken inner leg for my old left side inner leg and take it to the dealer and get another new jack on extended warranty.
I don’t like the fact that the right side stripped out and the left side was doing all the work for a while. How long before the left jack is fubarred, and I am left stranded.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:32 PM   #36

I seen that pic. I am hooked up since I had to park in street to let them put up my pole barn. I extended the lg all the way and sprayed in that spot. It than just runs out the bottom of that expanded part. So u say I could cut that bend the metal back and get access. I wish I had an old jack to take apart. I just hate to cut into a working part without someone showing a pic of what they did. Stupid question, the top plug if u remove it and spray in there it fills up and than drains. This is where u manually lower the Jack. So why would power lube not find its way to that Jack nut?
Old 05-10-2019, 04:42 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I seen that pic. I am hooked up since I had to park in street to let them put up my pole barn. I extended the lg all the way and sprayed in that spot. It than just runs out the bottom of that expanded part. So u say I could cut that bend the metal back and get access. I wish I had an old jack to take apart. I just hate to cut into a working part without someone showing a pic of what they did. Stupid question, the top plug if u remove it and spray in there it fills up and than drains. This is where u manually lower the Jack. So why would power lube not find its way to that Jack nut?
That’s just the transmission gear housing.
It’s sealed.
I’ll go take some pics of my taken apart jack.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:19 PM   #38

Well mine is well lubed. I filled it three times with C-RV power lube. Hopefully it will find its way to that nut. Has anyone had other jack problems except landing gear?
Old 05-13-2019, 08:38 PM   #39

2018 Greyhawk 31 fs

Is it ok to have motorhome leveled on hydraulic jacks for 2 months while we are camping ? Do I need to re-level even if we are on a concrete slab ?
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:00 PM   #40

If I had hydraulic jacks I would relevel just to keep all the rams and valves lubed.