Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-27-2018, 11:44 PM   #1

Buying brand new Eagle but found bump on outside wall

Hi guys, I’m in the process of buying a new Eagle. The paperwork and loan is all done and I was looking at it and found a slight bump on the outside wall. I’ve been told all kinds of things from it could be a protrusion from the inside by a screw too long, to a piece of debris left when they sealed the wall to a guy in service saying it’s a little bit of extra fiberglass material and it was coated over. The dealer wants to do fiberglass repair and I’m telling them I’m not buying a rig with repairs before I even get it.. they don’t have another of this model so my options are take it as it is, order from the factory and wait a couple months, or buy somewhere else... the flaw isnt that big, you have to look at it from an angle to see it well, but I am just worried it could get worse later which they are saying no way that will happen but I don’t know who to trust. Any ideas guys? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
7E4F3B61-D747-4D5E-9EB8-39CA372845AB.jpg  
cm2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:10 AM   #2

I found the same issue on my 2019 Eagle 321RSTS. Mine is on the Left side between the cargo and propane door. You really need to "gun sight" it to see it It looks like a screw but when I look in the back side, the only thing in that area is the wall frame. I had the dealer note it on the PDI check list so if I ever have an issue it was documented. I have seen this same issue on allot of Jayco's. As long as the fiberglass is not cracked, I would not worry it and keep your eye on it. I also found numerous wood chips under the roof material. That was noted and we also called Jayco and they said this was common. I looked at other FW on the lot and saw the same issues. Until the RV industry gets out of the 1970 automotive quality system and starts implementing a true Quality Control in the manufacturing systems, This is what you get!
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:17 AM   #3

My 2013 developed a bubble on rear exterior wall. Diagnosis was delamination, and if left untreated, will get worse. Under warranty Jayco replaced that entire wall. If you can get a written statement that they will deal with it in the future go ahead and take it. You can have the work done in off season.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:30 AM   #4

Thanks guys! I am betting it’s probably just a little piece of debris like many have said, so I guess I’m just trying to decide as to whether I want to settle for this unit or try to find another. My worry is even if I find another what if it has the same or a similar issue.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:56 AM   #5

All defects start out small and where they stop nobody knows. Sure looks like the start of delamination, I don't buy all the other excuses as what it could be but its a defect. I would walk away so fast, why take a chance with bigger problems coming down the road, endless months at the dealer getting repaired. No Thanks.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:09 PM   #6

Hey guys I thought I’d give an update, as I hate when reading a big thread and the author doesn’t bother to conclude it... I’ve looked all over the state and there are NO other rigs in this floorplan. I went back and looked at the issue again and the picture actually makes it look worse. You really can’t even see it unless you look from the side and see the glare from the clear.. I checked to see if it was a screw (I didn’t think it was because it’s not round it’s oblong) but it’s behind the shower and you can see the plugs in the shower where the screws went and were plugged up the plugs... I spoke with Jayco who was really no help, they just wanted to ask questions not give any info.. but I found a really cool manager at a Camping World who had the only other one of these rigs in the state and it’s not even here yet (it was just built and is on its way) and he told me “Look, I’d love to sell you my unit but I can tell you these little bumps and flaws are probably on 70% of these rigs sadly. I can tell you that they never turn out to be anything, and they don’t get worse. If it was cracking or you could see something protruding that would be another story”. I then called another dealer that sells these and he was super nice. He told me you will find a flaw on every single unit if you look hard enough. He allowed me to send him a picture of it and stayed on the phone with me and when he got it he said, oh yeah, I see these all the time, it’s probably a piece of debris when they vacuum bonded it and it will never change. He told me if it was his, he wouldn’t worry about it in the least.

Anyway, I was already getting the unit for $45,000 (it’s a 2019 with an MSRP of $63,833) which was a couple grand cheaper than anywhere else and now he’s marking it on the due bull just Incase something happens and giving me another $500 off. I have been all over and couldn’t find any other rig I liked besides the Jayco Eagle. It’s exactly what I wanted so I decided to live with a tiny little bump that you can’t even see looking straight at it... otherwise I’m looking at thousands more and a month or more of waiting, plus this dealer is 3 minutes from my house vs the other place being 4 hours.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:53 PM   #7

You are going through the same thing that I went through last March. I ordered mine and it took 13 weeks to get it. I had delamination on my last open range so I know what to look for. When I pointed the small bumb out during my PDI, the dealer had a hard time even seeing it but did take a picture of it and noted it on the PDI checklist. When you have delamination you have a bubble. This looks to be something small under the fiberglass sheet during the bonding process or it could also be a burr on one of the side wall studs. I agree that you can find this on 70% of all units but that still does not make it acceptable. I am a retired Automotive Quality Manager and the lack of quality going on in the RV industry makes me sick. If this is the only issue you have found, you are doing good. Enjoy you new Eagle, we love ours.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #8

Its too bad you couldnt get the selling dealer to document it and if it goes bad out of warranty make good on fixing it. At least that way you have a leg to stand on and theres no amnesia if/when it potentially comes up again.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #9

They are doing that, and I’ve also had it documented with Jayco. It’s so minor you can’t even see it looking straight at it.. it’s clearly just a Little piece of debris, and it seems to be super common.. it’s just my super picky ness that picked it up