Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2023, 06:11 PM   #1

"Check trailer wiring" warning on my truck display

Hello,

I towed first time over the Memorial Day weekend with my new truck and fifth wheel:
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2023 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

Every once in a while I received warning on my truck with message of "Check trailer wiring". Then it said that brakes are connected. I stopped multiple times to check: unplug/re-plug and check lights. everything was working.

Does anyone have an idea how to investigate this issue?

Thank you very much for your help, regards, Attila
jurecska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:48 PM   #2

Loose ground wire?

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:49 PM   #3

Our 2020 does the same. Try to keep your trailer wire plug connections clean and use a light coat of dielectric grease on the contacts. I do a manual brake test with the slider when the warning displays and the brakes have always worked. Ocasionally I get a right turn signal inop warning also but it's always working.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:52 PM   #4

I use to get that on our 2015 Silverado until I added the 7 pin connector in the bed. That eliminated the wire hanging down and bouncing. I think there was just enough flex that one of the connectors lost contact on occasion.
Old 05-30-2023, 08:21 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to JOF

Here's a couple recent JOF threads on the subject that may be helpful:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...age-95968.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...t-77238-2.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:32 AM   #6

Being intermittent, the message is quite annoying but shouldn't be ignored. There could be a serious issue. Always do a visual and a manual brake test.
Truck side GM Service bulletin for 7 way connector-
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...14860-0001.pdf
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 05:57 PM   #7

We had that problem with our truck and it ended up that the brake wire on the trailer was nearly worn through. Only 4 wires from the strand were still intact. You might want to carefully inspect the wiring on your trailer.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 07:31 PM   #8

We had the same issue twice on our 2008 F450. The first time, (under warranty) one of the brake lines on the unit was wrapped around the spindle. The second time, DW was driving and went over the I-80 bridge just right. Turns out the connectors on the driver's side brakes were corroded and one had broken. Keep telling her she needs to slow down!
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 05:40 PM   #9

Don't have the warning in the truck, but sometimes the right turn signals will not work initially. Found out reconnecting the connector from trailer to truck fixes it. I need to check the plug connections
Old 06-07-2023, 03:30 PM   #10

Had this issue on my 2020 3500 hd and I would activate turn signal and it would go away.
Old 06-07-2023, 04:01 PM   #11
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurecska View Post
Hello,

I towed first time over the Memorial Day weekend with my new truck and fifth wheel:
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2023 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

Every once in a while I received warning on my truck with message of "Check trailer wiring". Then it said that brakes are connected. I stopped multiple times to check: unplug/re-plug and check lights. everything was working.

I spray both male and female connections with silicone spray. It lubes the connection and does not draw dirt like grease.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 05:01 PM   #12

when i first got my 5th wheel i was constantly getting a Throttle position error code and only when towing the trailer. The error would throw the truck in limp mode and turning ignition off and back on would usually clear it up but not all the time.. I had the Truck at the dealer 3 times, first two at Ram of the West in Roseville they could not duplicate the problem.. The last time at Hunter Ram in Lancaster they knew right off the bat what the problem was.. They replaced the in bed trailer connector explaining the connector on some Ram models would not engage the locking tab on trailer harness causing enough of an intermittent disengagement on the trailer harness that caused a cann buss error to the Throttle position sensor. Never had any problems after the connector was replaced.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 05:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I spray both male and female connections with silicone spray. It lubes the connection and does not draw dirt like grease.
Quote:
Originally Posted by armentaaw View Post
Had this issue on my 2020 3500 hd and I would activate turn signal and it would go away.
[QUOTE=kirkelli;1114278]when i first got my 5th wheel i was constantly getting a Throttle position error code and only when towing the trailer. The error would throw the truck in limp mode and turning ignition off and back on would usually clear it up but not all the time.. I had the Truck at the dealer 3 times, first two at Ram of the West in Roseville they could not duplicate the problem.. The last time at Hunter Ram in Lancaster they knew right off the bat what the problem was.. They replaced the in bed trailer connector explaining the connector on some Ram models would not engage the locking tab on trailer harness causing enough of an intermittent disengagement on the trailer harness that caused a cann buss error to the Throttle position sensor. Never had any problems after the connector was replaced.[/QUO

Lol, we are at Hilton head and I will go to the auto parts store and get a can of electronic cleaner and spray the crap out of the connectors.
Old 06-11-2023, 12:20 PM   #14

Attila, Had a similar if not same problem with my 2019 3500HD Silverado, intermittent and aggravating Trailer Brake warning on display - finally found a YouTube video that matched the issues I was having and it was a very easy fix. Link here: https://youtu.be/Wn3sgO-tLjU. OEM part of Amazon only $40 (GM Genuine Parts 84108373 Black Trailer Brake Control Switch Assembly).

Good Luck,
Underway
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 03:31 PM   #15

Happens to us a lot. Evertything is fine at home and then we travel 3miles of bouncy road and voila there is the warning display. I won't point fingers but in every case it was just a loose connection at the seven pin connector.. Having spray is a good idea.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 03:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underway View Post
Attila, Had a similar if not same problem with my 2019 3500HD Silverado, intermittent and aggravating Trailer Brake warning on display - finally found a YouTube video that matched the issues I was having and it was a very easy fix. Link here: https://youtu.be/Wn3sgO-tLjU. OEM part of Amazon only $40 (GM Genuine Parts 84108373 Black Trailer Brake Control Switch Assembly).

Good Luck,
Underway

On my 2015 Silverado I had seen another you tube video that said before replacing that $ 40 switch. Manual slide the controller and let it snap back
several times. It worked for me, haven't had the error come back for at least a year now. If the slider doesn't get used much it must loose contact. Give it a try.
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 08:05 PM   #17

I have exact same problem, I cleaned connections, It helped but still see a little. I am going to check ground between trailer and truck. I have anderson ultimate hitch. @021 GMC Sierra 2017 Jayco 24.5 ckts. Have you any luck on diagnosis? thx Jeff
Old 08-29-2023, 04:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurecska View Post
Hello,

2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2023 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

Hopefully you got it fixed. I'm having the same issue now; constant "Check Trailer Wiring" messages where lights work but not the brakes.
Trusted RV Mechanic found a loose ground wire on the RV side of the wiring harness. So I had brakes until I drove home and parked the trailer, went to hook it up 3 days later and instantly got the CTW message again.
Trusted RV Mechanic will be looking at the trailer two days from now. Based on web research, it may be that the solar panel is overfeeding the battery and making the GM app think it's not working right. The plan is to remove solar from the electric wiring and check again.
The Mechanic's hours are going to be at my expense unless he finds some blatant violation of electrical code or common sense on Coachmen's end.
More later.
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 05:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
The Mechanic's hours are going to be at my expense unless he finds some blatant violation of electrical code or common sense on Coachmen's end.
More later.
Just shows an RV is an RV is an RV.... also
Attached Thumbnails
welcome aboard.jpg  
Old 08-29-2023, 05:23 PM   #20

Different truck, Ram. Different fifth wheel manufacturer on YouTube had same problem. Would get warning once in a while. The problem was the electric brakes. He figured it out when the brakes totally quit working. So, get your brakes checked. The magnet fell apart.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote