Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2018, 07:46 AM   #1
Mjw

Chevy 2500/pinnacle

So we are looking at a 2018 36fbts. We currently have a 2013 2500 with a tow rating of 15800. Dry weight of the camper is listed at 13250. I know we are pushing the truck by the time it's loaded but trading it off for a new one is a couple years out. Anyone pulling with a 3/4 ton? All comments welcome. Yes I know I should have a dually or a 1 ton but right now we don't...
Mjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:29 AM   #2

My previous 5er was a Montana that had a gvwr similar to your dry weight. When towing that rig with my 2500 gmc diesel, I was a white-knuckle wreck. That's all I've got to say .

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:14 AM   #3

You can't be serious. The 36fbts has a dry 'Brochure" pin weight of 2750. Load it up and you're around 3200 on the pin. Throw in the 5th hitch passengers and what ever else in the truck and you're in DRW territory. Most 3500's would be maxed out. Now add in that it's 41' long and you're just asking for trouble IMO. You will exceed every tow rating you have.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjw View Post
So we are looking at a 2018 36fbts.
Stop looking...
Old 03-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJay View Post
Stop looking...
I say ... look for a smaller one... that fits your tow vehicle capacities...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:04 PM   #6

Mjw,, You have opened up a sensitive issue here. You will hear more from the weight police than you will from the folks who are actually pulling that RV with a 2500 gas or diesel. Will your truck pull it, yes, but to what extent. You will certainly be taking it to its limits. Stopping it quickly would be my first concern, knowing already the wear and tear on your truck. Now, if you are not pulling down major highways or busy state roads, then you can get away with it however; you must engage your common sense and drive more for the other guy than for yourself. Everybody has an opinion and you have ask them for one and you will get many. Do as you please but please be careful. Hope this gives you some comfort. Happy camping. Skidawg
Skidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:00 PM   #7

As Skidawg says, be careful
Is your tow vehicle up to the task? Depends
Are you going to upgrade to a suitable tow vehicle in the near future? Yes
Can you get by till then with the Pinnacle and your 2500? Only you can decide
Good luck with your decision
Meadowlark paint
Iraq 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:10 PM   #8

I could barely do it with 3500 Ram.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #9

I pulled mine with my 2500 gasser with no problems. Just make sure hitch is set up properly and brakes are adjusted. The 2500 squatted 3.5 inches in rear and 1/2 in front. I feel the ride was better then with my dually which squats 2 inches in rear.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:40 PM   #10
Mjw

I knew I'd get a onslaught of replies. The fact is on chevys the only difference between a 2500 and 3500 is 1 set of springs. Everything else is identical so that might be my solution for now unless we come across a deal on dually
Mjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:20 PM   #11

I wouldn’t even pull that with my 3500 SRW diesel! It would be pushing the cargo capacity of mine and a 3500 SRW adds almost 2000 pounds of cargo capacity over a 2500.
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:05 AM   #12

Chevy 2500/pinnacle

From your post it sounds to me that you are focused on GCVWR but not considering GVWR. GVWR for your truck is the maximum weight you can add to your truck. For a 5’r this not only includes passengers and cargo, but also the hitch and 5th wheel pin weight.
You don’t indicate whether your truck is a diesel, but if it is you will be way beyond the GVWR with that 5’er.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2018, 07:53 PM   #13

Yep, over weight, plain and simple, bad situation all around. Can't imagine what would happen if you rear end someone. Even if someone hits you it will come out in the courts that you were overweight and you will be at fault just because you shouldn't have been there in the first place.
MHO...wait till you can do what's right.
Cheers
Watsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjw View Post
I knew I'd get a onslaught of replies. The fact is on chevys the only difference between a 2500 and 3500 is 1 set of springs. Everything else is identical so that might be my solution for now unless we come across a deal on dually
I see people pushing the wieght limits a lot. But generally they are not far off but you would be far beyond. Your statement is said by many over wieght rig owners. But it is not true. There are many times many difference even slight that make that change from 1 ton to 3/4 ton. I tow with a 2013 F350 diesel SW. My rig dry wieght is little under 11k and loaded at over 13k. I wouldn't tow my rig with a F250 as even if you had a overload spring. My F350 has bigger brakes, different rear axle, and etc. If you don't believe me look at the rating of wieght on the rear axle for your truck then look at a 3500. It is different and that isn't due to springs. That is due to different axle. Springs just help it carry load doesn't chance the rating of the actual axle. Not only are you looking at being illegal and liability for that. You are pushing your truck beyond what it is design to do. You could end up with truck problems. Also if I came to look to buy your truck used, as soon as I saw your 5ver knowing what I know. I would pass on your truck knowing you were pushing it beyond its limits. Just some stuff to think about. I would recommend a different 5ver or move up your idea on upgrading truck. Just to tell you, I wouldn't pull that 5ver with my F350 let alone your truck.
Chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #15

We see over loaded rigs every day.Have a crash kill some one going to jail. Not to speak of your family!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
We see over loaded rigs every day.Have a crash kill some one going to jail. Not to speak of your family!
Now, that is the point right there! Its the difference between "can I" or "should I".
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:06 PM   #17

Oh my is all I can say. That's a whole lot of trailer for a late model 3500 dually even. I'd go with a 5500 truck or med duty truck. It will pay off in the long run.

I'd buy a smaller trailer. Will make a world of difference. The Eagle line is nice and the smaller ones are very 2500 friendly. Then that gives you more time to upgrade your truck. Also cheaper trailer/payments. Should always buy the trailer that fits the truck.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #18

Here is a classic case of the misinformed trying to educate the uninformed. you have every right to express an opinion to the question but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE know what you are talking about before stating facts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiggins View Post
There are many times many difference even slight that make that change from 1 ton to 3/4 ton. this is absolutely not true. 2 differences helper spring and tire size
I tow with a 2013 F350 diesel SW. My rig dry wieght is little under 11k and loaded at over 13k. I wouldn't tow my rig with a F250 as even if you had a overload spring. My F350 has bigger brakes, Than what? your neighbors mustang? go to autozone web site look up rotor and caliper, part number is identical for your rig and a 2013 F250different rear axle,I didnt look up the info on the ford but I do know that chevy and dodge both use AAM rear ends I also know from looking at AAM (American Axle and Manufacturing) website that the rears used in diesels made by the above mentioned manufactures are rated for over 11k and the same axle is used in the 2500, 3500 and dually all use the same rear end (dually uses different adapter to allow for the dual wheels and etc. If you don't believe me look at the rating of wieght on the rear axle for your truck then look at a 3500. It is different and that isn't due to springs.here is probably the one statement I can agree with, the weight isnt because of springs, it is because the larger stock size tires that come on the 3500 the 245 that come on the 2500 is rated for 3020 ea that is where the 6040 RAWR comes from 3500 come stock with 265 rear tires That is due to different axle. hahahahahahaha worst comment in entire postSprings just help it carry load doesn't chance the rating of the actual axle.another correct statement Not only are you looking at being illegal what law is broken, sticker is a manufacturer sticker not a federal local or state regulation it is a recommendation same as the recommendation to use 5w30 motor oil, it isnt against the law to use 10w30 just isnt what the manufacturer recommends and liability for that. You are pushing your truck beyond what it is design to do. You could end up with truck problems. Also if I came to look to buy your truck used, as soon as I saw your 5ver knowing what I know. I would pass on your truck knowing you were pushing it beyond its limits. Just some stuff to think about. I would recommend a different 5ver or move up your idea on upgrading truck. Just to tell you, I wouldn't pull that 5ver with my F350 let alone your truck.
I have asked and have seen many posts ask for a case number where someone went to jail for being over the yellow sticker. if you hit and kill someone on the road you are liable regardless of what you are driving. if you have a semi pulling a pop up and kill someone on the road you will be sued for wrongful death. show me an over weight ticket from pulling a 5th wheel with a pickup, show me a letter from an insurance refusing to pay because of 5er weight.

I do understand there are some licenses and registration laws in some states, mine isnt one of them so I cannot speak about that. but I do know the difference between 3/4 and 1 ton trucks is a pure marketing gimmick by the big 3 they are make on the same assembly line using ALL the same parts. There have been some changes made in the recent year trucks and im not up on all of those but the above is correct for pre 15.

just please use facts when making statements not beliefs
Happy camping
Old 03-29-2018, 03:11 PM   #19

I guess when someone say "why buy a 3/4 ton when you can get a 1 ton for just a little more. I think the new slogan should be "Why get a 1 ton when it's okay to tow way over weight with a 3/4 ton. If you get in a wreck the overweight issue is mute. It's lack of driver control regardless. Although if stopping were part of the equation and you're over the GCVWR then you have premeditated the accident.
Anyone remember when Caitlyn Jenner crashed her/his SUV with the trailer in tow? They actually weighed the trailer to see if he/her was overweight. I'm guessing the same factors would be investigated in civil court.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy220 View Post
Here is a classic case of the misinformed trying to educate the uninformed. you have every right to express an opinion to the question but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE know what you are talking about before stating facts.

I have asked and have seen many posts ask for a case number where someone went to jail for being over the yellow sticker. if you hit and kill someone on the road you are liable regardless of what you are driving. if you have a semi pulling a pop up and kill someone on the road you will be sued for wrongful death. show me an over weight ticket from pulling a 5th wheel with a pickup, show me a letter from an insurance refusing to pay because of 5er weight.

I do understand there are some licenses and registration laws in some states, mine isnt one of them so I cannot speak about that. but I do know the difference between 3/4 and 1 ton trucks is a pure marketing gimmick by the big 3 they are make on the same assembly line using ALL the same parts. There have been some changes made in the recent year trucks and im not up on all of those but the above is correct for pre 15.

just please use facts when making statements not beliefs
Happy camping
Thank you!!!
Jace817 is offline   Reply With Quote