Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2021, 07:19 PM   #1

coax

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. I have a 2012 Jayco Eagle 321 RLTS 5th wheel. We found a good deal on good used Dish to go satellite system. Before you all jump on me, I'm aware we don't go camping to watch TV but It's just my wife and I and I'm 72 years old. At times we like to retire early watch a little TV till we get sleepy or on rainy days watch a little TV. The RV has the external hookup for satellite or cable. I can hook the dish antenna to that and take a jumper out of a wall plate with coax hook ups and move the coax to the "A" hookup down by the entertainment system and hook that to my Dish receiver then run an HDMI cable to the TV in the living area and everything works. The problem is getting the satellite to the bedroom TV. There are two wall plates down there, one has the two coax connections with the Jumper, the other has the 12 volt plus with one coax hookup and the booster button for the antenna. I am assuming I would have to take the wall plates off and do some switching around of cables on the back of it but not sure which cable is which. I emailed Jayce a few days ago for a diagram of the coax runs in the RV but have not received anything yet. Was hoping someone has dealt with this and can get me going in the right direction.
KWDAILYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:25 AM   #2

If you have an rf output, hook that to the B terminal on that plate with the jumper. Take a look at this document…

https://www.nylyon.com/JaycoTVHookup.pdf
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:07 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I came across the link you posted late last night. My receiver does not have an RF out, just HDMI. It's only made to run one TV at a time. Got it cheap second hand. I have the VIP 211z, I need at least the VIP 211k to have what you are referring to. Looks like I'm out of luck with this receiver to feed the second TV using the existing coax.

I am going to try to take the wall plate off with the two RF connectors and remove the coax coming in from the outside hookup and jumper it directly to the coax going to the bedroom.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:09 AM   #4

Look into an HDMI extender, that may be a solution for you.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:40 AM   #5

What would an HDMI extender do for me. I'm not familiar with that.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWDAILYD View Post
What would an HDMI extender do for me. I'm not familiar with that.
Basically it transmits from your receiver to the second TV. I have one and it's flawless.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Tran...tronics&sr=1-4
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:59 AM   #7

Thank you. That would certainly be an option if we were full timers. Actually getting a different receiver that accommodates two TV's is cheaper than the Extender, although the Extender may give a better signal than the coax running through the RV. I'm still hoping to hear from Jayco today. I talked to someone in their support department.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWDAILYD View Post
I am going to try to take the wall plate off with the two RF connectors and remove the coax coming in from the outside hookup and jumper it directly to the coax going to the bedroom.
If your RV has only 2 TVs that is a possibility to do, with more than 2 TVs you have a splitter somewhere, and unless you can bypass that it’s not going to play nice with the satellite.

And you don’t need to take the part with the jumper off, just the antenna booster. Look at the diagram in the document on the last page. The jumper sends the signal to the antenna booster.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:03 PM   #9

I found which coax goes to the bedroom TV behind the booster wall plate. It does go to a splitter which I assume also feeds the connection in the basement so you can have an outside TV. I don't use a TV there but the signal at the bedroom TV is not as good as it is in the main living area. If I eliminate the splitter and just feed the bedroom coax do you think that will help the signal?
Old 09-15-2021, 10:48 PM   #10

I am 71 and have Direct TV in my rig and love it. We have the TV on as background noise most of the time. I didn't use any of the rig's coax mainly because it didn't appear to be where it was suppose to be.

Anyway I feed my Direct TV box up by the front TV and use an HDMI extender as mentioned previously. The HDMI transmitter will connect inline with the HDMI feed from the Sat receiver to your main TV. It then transmits the same channel that the main TV is viewing to the HDMI receiver which I connect to my bedroom TV. Works perfect!

You can use an RF remote to control the Sat receiver while in bed.

The only disadvantage to this setup is that both TVs can only watch the same channel at the same time if they are both on. You do not need to have the main TV on to be able to watch the bedroom TV.

The advantages outweigh the disadvantages. You only need one Sat receiver and don't have to split a coax feed. Another benefit is that the second TV does not need to be in the bedroom. If you have an outside TV, this system will feed it the signal. I have set up my son's rig in this manner.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:33 PM   #11

I am a full timer and have done it with a tailgator as well as a full size dish. Some tailgaters have multiple outputs. You will need that if your using one. I have 3 tv's with the the VIP 211z. PM me for a photo and more info.
Texasjack13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:01 PM   #12

coax

I have the same camper except a 2010 model. The connections outside are mark sat and cable. I run coax from the dish the the sat. connector and from the inside to the reciever. I use HDMI from the reciever to the tv. The other one mark cable cannot be use for sat. tv. I have to run a different coax from the dish to the second reciever in the bedroom. But the only problem is whatever sat. the main is locked on the rear will only catch channels the main is lock on. Meaning if the main is watching a channel that's on sat.120 and the other reciever will only catch channels on sat.120. so if the wife is watching hallmark and you change the chanell that happens to be on a different sat. she will lose the hallmark channel. So that is why I have 2 sat. dishes, one for each tv.To answer your question, its no you cannot watch sat. tv through the cable lines in the camper.
I know the is kinda long, but I spent many hours trying to do the same as you.
good luck
2012 Dodge 3500
US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population
rthibodaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:14 AM   #13

Do you have to disconnect the main tv and connect the extender when you want to send signal to outside tv? I think there is only one HDMI out on the back of receiver. This would make a great Christmas present for my husband.
Thanks,
The Wife
Old 09-28-2021, 08:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickjp View Post
Do you have to disconnect the main tv and connect the extender when you want to send signal to outside tv? I think there is only one HDMI out on the back of receiver. This would make a great Christmas present for my husband.
Thanks,
The Wife
One HDMI cable goes from the receiver to the input on the extender. Another one goes from the extender's output to the HDMI input on the TV.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickjp View Post
Thanks,
The Wife
The transmitter is "inline" with the HDMI cable on the main connection. What this means is that an HDMI cable goes from your box to the transmitter and then a separate probably shorter cable goes to the TV. No plugging/unplugging required. The receiver just has the one HDMI connection.

You may need to buy a short HDMI cable for the connection to the main TV. I don't remember if it came with one or not.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthibodaux View Post
I have the same camper except a 2010 model. The connections outside are mark sat and cable. I run coax from the dish the the sat. connector and from the inside to the reciever. I use HDMI from the reciever to the tv. The other one mark cable cannot be use for sat. tv. I have to run a different coax from the dish to the second reciever in the bedroom. But the only problem is whatever sat. the main is locked on the rear will only catch channels the main is lock on. Meaning if the main is watching a channel that's on sat.120 and the other reciever will only catch channels on sat.120. so if the wife is watching hallmark and you change the chanell that happens to be on a different sat. she will lose the hallmark channel. So that is why I have 2 sat. dishes, one for each tv.To answer your question, its no you cannot watch sat. tv through the cable lines in the camper.
I know the is kinda long, but I spent many hours trying to do the same as you.
good luck
I was able to figure out which coax cables went where. I disconnected everything from the booster and disconnected the coax going to the outside TV so now I know which coax is for the living area and which is for the bedroom. I can use my receiver in either location using existing coax cables. It's a little bit of a pain to move the receiver back and forth but maybe next year I will get a better receiver so I don't have to do that. So, just one dish antenna plugged into the coax on the outside of the RV and I can watch satellite on either TV. Works for me for now.