Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2022, 06:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
I switched over to channel 4 and we began to converse. He wanted to know if there was something wrong with my truck because I was only going 55mph With a chuckle I said I was going the speed limit. He said I could "Bump" it up to 65 or 70 until I hit the border because he was the only one out there and he didn't believe in the 55 limit for trucks!
Funny Story... One of my neighbors is a CHP and he tells me many CHP's still carry CB's in their units... He also says they pretty much don't bother anyone under 75 on the freeways/higways but one mile over is a a guaranteed ticked..
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
Funny Story... One of my neighbors is a CHP and he tells me many CHP's still carry CB's in their units... He also says they pretty much don't bother anyone under 75 on the freeways/higways but one mile over is a a guaranteed ticked..
...unless you are pulling a trailer in California! Then, keep it under 65! (Don't ask how I know!)

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:50 AM   #23

This has me very interested. I'm going on the road for 3 months, and taking the on line Technician Ham radio course might be a fun way to fill in someof the downtime. I see hamradioprep.com offers an on line course. That YAESU FT-60R transceiver looks just right for me.. Does anyone have any suggestions or is this course OK?
Sorry I don't mean to high jack thread.
Docsouce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsouce View Post
This has me very interested. I'm going on the road for 3 months, and taking the on line Technician Ham radio course might be a fun way to fill in someof the downtime. I see hamradioprep.com offers an on line course. That YAESU FT-60R transceiver looks just right for me.. Does anyone have any suggestions or is this course OK?
Sorry I don't mean to high jack thread.
That course is likely a good course, however be aware that there are many "Free" websites that offer training material. I would check around for local Ham clubs in your area which is also where you would likely be taking the test and check with them for training material and resources, prior to paying for training. I haven't had time nor need, but that is my plan if I go Ham later on, and then and not too mention I would join that club and participate whenever I could in the meetings, dinners, and other social activities. I think that would be great for a lot of people for sure, just as I mentioned earlier though, at this time in life I don't have a lot of spare time and just needed decent communications and purchased a GMRS license and a couple of high quality radios. ~CA
Old 06-21-2022, 11:16 AM   #25

BTW, and perhaps someone here with a Ham license can verify this for me. It is my understanding that even with a ham license that you would still need a GMRS license if you intend to use GMRS, just something to keep in mind.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:11 PM   #26
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
BTW, and perhaps someone here with a Ham license can verify this for me. It is my understanding that even with a ham license that you would still need a GMRS license if you intend to use GMRS, just something to keep in mind.
That is correct. A license for each service.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
As we known from FCC rules, an amateur radio license does not confer GMRS frequencies.the GMRS radio follows the FCC Part 95 rule.

The GMRS frequency is covers around 462 MHz and 467 MHz. There are 30 GMRS channels with a bandwidth of 25 kHz (20 KHz authorized bandwidth) or 12.5 kHz.

The ham radio license covers the frequency 2m band 144-148Mhz, 70cm band 420-450Mhz, and 1.25m band 222-225Mhz. All frequencies are shared. No frequency is assigned for the exclusive use of any amateur station. Station control operators cooperate in selecting transmitting channels to make the most effective use of the frequencies. The ham radio follows Part 97 rule.

An FCC license is required to operate GMRS system. Licenses are issued for a ten-year term and can be renewed between 90 days prior to the expiration date and up to the actual expiration date of the license. After a license expires, an individual must request a new GMRS license.

Any individual in the United States who is at least 18 years of age and not a representative of a foreign government may apply for a GMRS license by completing the application form, either on paper or online through the FCC's Universal Licensing System. No exam is required. A GMRS license is issued for a 10–year term.The current fee is $70 for all applicants. The fee is expected to be reduced sometime in 2021 to $35 once the FCC publishes a notice of the actual effective date .

Operation of an amateur station requires an amateur operator license grant from the FCC. Before you get your FCC license, you need to get an examination.

So ham radio license is not the same with GMRS licese, but GMRS radio and ham radio maybe used by the same amateurs.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:46 PM   #28
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
As we known from FCC rules, an amateur radio license does not confer GMRS frequencies.the GMRS radio follows the FCC Part 95 rule.

The GMRS frequency is covers around 462 MHz and 467 MHz. There are 30 GMRS channels with a bandwidth of 25 kHz (20 KHz authorized bandwidth) or 12.5 kHz.

The ham radio license covers the frequency 2m band 144-148Mhz, 70cm band 420-450Mhz, and 1.25m band 222-225Mhz. All frequencies are shared. No frequency is assigned for the exclusive use of any amateur station. Station control operators cooperate in selecting transmitting channels to make the most effective use of the frequencies. The ham radio follows Part 97 rule.

An FCC license is required to operate GMRS system. Licenses are issued for a ten-year term and can be renewed between 90 days prior to the expiration date and up to the actual expiration date of the license. After a license expires, an individual must request a new GMRS license.

Any individual in the United States who is at least 18 years of age and not a representative of a foreign government may apply for a GMRS license by completing the application form, either on paper or online through the FCC's Universal Licensing System. No exam is required. A GMRS license is issued for a 10–year term.The current fee is $70 for all applicants. The fee is expected to be reduced sometime in 2021 to $35 once the FCC publishes a notice of the actual effective date .

Operation of an amateur station requires an amateur operator license grant from the FCC. Before you get your FCC license, you need to get an examination.

So ham radio license is not the same with GMRS licese, but GMRS radio and ham radio maybe used by the same amateurs.
Perhaps TMI.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:45 AM   #29

Does anyone use CB Radios?

Sounds more like a tax. I have an FCC license for airplane stuff, but not sure if it’s the same.

I can see the value in at least a handheld. We were stopped on I-25 this week, and it would have been great to have something just to know what we were dealing with. I use Waze usually but it’s only looking at traffic volume and making mathematical estimates. It said 7 minutes. More like an hour. Of course my truck decides to do a regen right then. I was worried I’d end up with a clogged DPF or melt the lower corner of my FW.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:56 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Perhaps TMI.
Don't read it!... how Simple is that? LMAO
Old 06-22-2022, 09:57 AM   #31

I had one. Back before we all used cell phones we used them when traveling with groups of friends or family. Mine was a hand held Radio Shack, one of the better ones they sold. I had a magnetic antenna also. I had not used it in about 15 years. About a week ago I was cleaning my garage and found it. I had left batteries in it that corroded and destroyed it.

Even after we all got cell phones we kept using them. I stopped using it on trips when by ourselves, too many knuckleheads and we just didn't want to hear the stupidity.

Regarding GMRS, I had my license but didn't renew it. We used to carry GMRS radios when hiking in the national parks, and for spotting the trailer. It was $50 for 5 years. Haven't used those radios in a long time either.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:19 PM   #32

I have a couple Motorola FRS radios that we have used a couple times when we were traveling in two cars to keep in touch. They worked well for that but range was not all that good.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:20 PM   #33

Cb radio

We are ham radio operators and also carry a cobra 40 channel CB radio. Lots of places for emergencies, the cb works better. Especially if there are no ham radio repeaters within range. WE HAVE THE MAGNETIC ANTENNAS FOR BOTH, THAT WAY WITH BOTH THE CB, HAM AND CELL PHONES, WE HAVE A PRETTY GOOD CHANCE OF GETTING HELP.
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 12:39 PM   #34

I use a portable CB in two ways:
When traveling with friends to go camping with RV and when going overlanding with friends. CB is still useful. I also cut the squelsh way down so I don't have to listen to junk when on the interstates.
I good portable will have battery compartment, DC adapter compartment(both connect to bottom of cb unit), ac adapter/charger and external antenna adapter.

I use a magnetic antenna and mount on top of truck. SWR meter isn't necessary. Any truck stop along an interstate should have a CB shop that will tune your system for a few bux. I have a good one only 30 miles from me just East of Tucson.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 01:47 PM   #35

I have to laugh! We were so high tech in the 70’s with our Fuzz Buster and CB. Not so much anymore but do not object to the CB. The CB is a tool for better or worse and it can be useful
Motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 01:59 PM   #36

Not real excited about them anymore.

I used to have a CB in about everything I had, but I don't anymore.
The last one I bought was in 2006 and I really didn't use it much and got tired of the racket on it real quick.

Once in a while I see a truck that I would like to talk to, but if I got another one I probably wouldn't listen to it much at all. Used to be pretty good company if you were alone. Retired now and usually have the DW with me and she really doesn't like to listen that language and stuff.
Old 06-25-2022, 03:24 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I don't care for the language. There are other ways to get traffic info that don't expose the other passengers to any new language.

If I need one it would be a hand held. We have used them in the past when travelling with other campers in a convoy.
Agree. Waze is best
rhouthoofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:22 PM   #38

Remember...A CB Radio IS INSTANT INFORMATION! I'm a retired long-haul Tractor-Trailer Driver. All I needed was a Cobra 40 channel and twin "Fire Sticks". Good Luck and Drive Safe!
Billandcarole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:25 PM   #39

I’ve been a truck driver for 35 years. Back when I started many people used them. Nowadays most newer drivers have never even seen one, kind of like a pay phone. I still use one daily, but most days never hear anyone talking, or they don’t speak my language. I personally wouldn’t spend the money.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:31 PM   #40

I still use mine. I have a Cobra 148GTL with a 108 whip antenna that reaches out over my RV. It is nice to get travel conditions, find local stuff and just have general conversations. IF your not going to use it there are many quality apps that do the same stuff
AK0tA is offline   Reply With Quote