Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2022, 02:08 PM   #1

Double rinse black water tank

Has anyone ever added a second rinse valve/system to their black water tank? My original rinse doesn't seem to spray enough of the side walls and bottom for a complete tank rinse.
ahill261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:09 AM   #2

How can you tell that it's not spraying well?
Pappy5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:04 PM   #3

I think the one IS spraying well but there seems to be clogged waste in tank upon emptying. Powerwashing inside tank through toilet seems to be only solution for now. It happens during prolonged camping for months at a time in one location.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahill261 View Post
I think the one IS spraying well but there seems to be clogged waste in tank upon emptying. Powerwashing inside tank through toilet seems to be only solution for now. It happens during prolonged camping for months at a time in one location.
Are you hooked to a sewer now? If so, keep a lot of water in the black tank, don't keep the black tank waste valve open.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:19 PM   #5

I've done all that and it helps. But on occasion I actually have to plunge the toilet because the water will back up. Pouring hot water down the toilet helps also but I'm looking to try and NOT have to do all that.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:40 PM   #6
CAG

Multi wash cycles will do as much or more that worrying about adding another sprayer.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 06:41 PM   #7
CAG

Quote:
I've done all that and it helps. But on occasion I actually have to plunge the toilet because the water will back up. Pouring hot water down the toilet helps also but I'm looking to try and NOT have to do all that.

Sounds like you have a poop pyramid and need to do a major cleaning from the toilet into the tank.

Old 03-07-2022, 06:43 PM   #8
CAG

Quote:

Poop pyramid! More water when flushing. The volume of water to solids is too high (too much solid, not enough water) which is allowing the solid pile to build up under the toilet spout thus blocking access to the rest of the tank.

Old 03-07-2022, 07:37 PM   #9

You can also get the device to push water back up from the bottom if necessary. But it really does sound like you're not using enough fluid. I love my built-in top rinser and my wife tells me I'm addicted to it. A clean tank is a happy tank.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:15 PM   #10

Often times after a trip, I'll rinse it twice then add about 10 gallons for the ride. That sloshes around and keeps things cleaner. Plus, you always have some water if a bathroom break is needed.
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 08:35 PM   #11

As one who has been down this road, a product like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-9652...51495805&psc=1

...in the tank overnight, or longer, will help clean a tank that empties slow or that has the $#!+ stuck to walls.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 08:37 PM   #12
mhh

If you put about five gallons in your tank after every dump of your black tank you shouldn't have a problem. I do this along with using the black water flush every time I dump my black tank.
mhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 09:16 PM   #13
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhh View Post
If you put about five gallons in your tank after every dump of your black tank you shouldn't have a problem. I do this along with using the black water flush every time I dump my black tank.
Add a cup of Dawn to that 5 or 10 gals and let that slosh around to the next stop. Then dump it. You will be amazed at how junky the water is that comes out. It cleans well.

Old 03-09-2022, 12:36 AM   #14
mhh

I use dawn,but a cup is over kill. I leave water in my black tank all camping season even when it is sitting at the house.
mhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 08:52 AM   #15
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhh View Post
I use dawn,but a cup is over kill. I leave water in my black tank all camping season even when it is sitting at the house.
Probably but it cleans well and my tank is spotless between uses. You can cut it down some but what difference if it works. I love the soapy clean rinses 😁

I too leave water in the tank off season but with Happy Camper added.

Old 03-12-2022, 12:57 PM   #16

Double rinse

Yes with my Senaca 37K I had 2 black tanks and black tank flush never worked that great even after getting fixed under warranty .So I decided to put a T fitting in the cold water line under bathroom sink attached a garden hose fitting so I could spray down the toilets and help flush black tank worked well cleaned everything out .My previous travel trailer I owned never had black tank flush just a spray hose beside the toilet which worked good
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 12:59 PM   #17

Water is your friend in the black tank. I use Happy Camper and 5 to 7 gallons of water after cleaning the black tank. I always back flush tank after dumping. I fill the black tank 3/4 to full twice then dump till water is clean coming out. I always use Happy Camper always. I never leave black tank open till ready to dump.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 01:15 PM   #18

the black tank spray nozzles do get clogged and spray less than when new.

The fitting is usually on the top or side of the tank AND SHOULD BE ACCESSIBLE (you just need to get under the coach and find it). The spray fitting is held in place with 3 or 4 screws. Clean the nozzle holes. once removed and reinstall. Some folks have drilled out the existing holes to "a bit larger".

As far as the black tank is concerned, GOOGLE the GEO method. It's filling the tank with a mixture of your black tank chemical (i use happy camper), dawn, and borax. Water is your friend. I start with near a 1/4 full tank. NEVER leave the tank dry even when storing. That is when any remenants solidifies to a brick. ALSO never leave upon when at a campground and connected

If really debris ridden with a brick, there are cleaning services that use a nozzle/pressure washer to break up the hardened stuff. they access thru your dump valves. Do the gray tank at the same time. Several UTUBE videos of the process
windfall96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 01:19 PM   #19

I quit using the commercial chemicals long ago. We live in ours full time. They didn't work that well and in the hot summer I had bad smells. I friend told me about this mix and once I tried it I never went back. Dumps easily and no smell.

I use Dawn, Borax and Calgon. Use the cap of the Calgon for a measure and put one of each in the tank with a couple gallons of water after each dump. If you have a very large tank maybe add a bit more. It's a lot cheaper and works better than anything else I've tried. Attachment 79636Click image for larger version

Name:	81r%2BjsX5f3L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	79637

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 01:52 PM   #20
Icy

A friend of mine had stuff building up in his black water tank after friends used his trailer for a couple of weeks. His solution was and works beautifully. Which was a bag of ice cubes and water. Drove a couple of miles and then dumped. He was surprised at the outcome.
Pete
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote