Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2020, 11:34 AM   #1

Elec/Gas refrigerator cooling issues!

We recently purchased a used 2018 Jayco Eagle 355mbqs and absolutely LOVE it! One thing we've noticed is that the refrigerator has an issue. It is an electric/gas fridge. It takes no time to cool down and stays very cool, even after loading it up. But we've taken it out twice since purchasing and both times, the fridge stopped cooling (a couple days into the stay.) I keep thermometers in the fridge to keep an eye on it. The temp would start rising in both the fridge and freezer. The only thing I've done to "fix" it was to turn it off and back on and then switch it to propane for a few hours and then back to electric. It eventually starts cooling again and maintains a good temp. Just not sure why this is happening. And I'm not sure if it would start cooling again if I didn't mess with it to kick it back into action. Thanks for your advice!
texaskristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:31 PM   #2

What size fridge? Is it in the slide?
Ours is the 12cf. It is in the slide. Had issues on first 80*F day with same issue as you. Norcold and Dometic both have specific installation instructions for these fridges. Our Norcold was not in my opinion installed correctly.
Things I did:
Check that the baffle is installed properly at top of fridge in rear to top of the vent opening. Mine was flat on the roof of slide.
Added insulation between top of fridge and slide roof.
Added insulation on range side wall. Heat from rear was getting into the top cavity and heating up the exterior of the freezer and range side of fridge. The range side wall was hot to the touch on the inside wall.

There is a snap thermal switch mounted on tubing on rear. It closes when the temp is 130*F and turns the two box fans on. I wired two additional fans at the bottom into the same snap switch to help push the hot air up and out the top vent.
I wired a 12 volt fan mounted on alligator clips to the rear fins inside the fridge. I got power from the connection points on left door and ground to the rear fins.
Don't pack the fridge too full. It neefs space for the cooling to work.
Now the freezer holds to the Norcold spec 20*F and fridge to 36-37*F every day no matter how hot it is outside.
On setting 4
I found all the above doing google searches so not my original ideas but they all work
YMMV
RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:03 PM   #3

Great info! Thanks so much for taking the time to share!

Ours is a 12cf and in the slide as well. Both trips, the outside temps were 50 or below, so I don't think that was the issue, but I could see where the extra insulation would be helpful, especially for us in the summers in Texas! I will print out your reply so my husband and I can make these modifications and hopefully won't have issues again! Hate always having to worry about the darn fridge temp when we're on vacation! Thanks again!
texaskristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaskristi View Post

Ours is a 12cf and in the slide as well. Both trips, the outside temps were 50 or below, so I don't think that was the issue, but I could see where the extra insulation would be helpful, especially for us in the summers in Texas! I will print out your reply so my husband and I can make these modifications and hopefully won't have issues again! Hate always having to worry about the darn fridge temp when we're on vacation! Thanks again!
Check the baffle up top thru the top vent and listen for the two fans... They should cycle on and off depending on outside temp.
If the baffle is wrong the fridge won't work right. It works off the process of heating ammonia gas and cooling it. If it don't cool it don't work
Just my recent experience and research

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:20 PM   #5

Sounds like you usually run on AC and switch to LP when the problem starts. If the problem will occur on LP as well it might be the thermistor. The fans are easy to check, after it’s been running a bit they should be running and pretty easy to hear from the outside at the vent. If the problem happens only on AC I would suspect the heating element is going bad. There are several DIY vids on YouTube that have troubleshooting tips.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaskristi View Post

How low below 50F? You might need a cold weather kit. RV fridges will only work down to a certain temp.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote