Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2018, 04:41 PM   #1

First big road-trip in 339flqs

I have just returned from, what was for me, an epic road trip most of the way across the country and back! We left Cincinnati and arrived in Sedona 3 days later for our very first boondocking experience! I averaged 8.22 mpg in total on the way out to our final westerly destination of Las Vegas. Worst segment mpg 7.1, was across New Mexico into a 30 mph headwind with gusts of 50mph. The best was 9.9 mpg from just before Flagstaff to Kingman. The return trip was into headwinds the entire way and I averaged 7.44 mpg with a worst of 7.1 and a best of 8.3. My tow vehicle is a 2016 2500hd gas and my combined weight at start of trip was 18749. The total miles driven was 5450 with 5315 under towed conditions, I did not include untowed mpg in the above calculations. In preparation for the trip i replaced battery with 2- 6 volt batteries and replaces Raineers with Endurances. The tires where great but I had battery issues that I will be working on tomorrow to attempt a diagnosis. I suspect that my converter-charger is inop. based on battery drainage and the fact that the charge indicator light stays on solid indicating boost yet batteries where not being charged! While in Sedona I volt tested the 3- 25 amp protection fuses in converter box and they only indicated 11.5 volts. I believe they should be showing in excess of 14 volts? The only other issue I had was with inop. fireplace. It worked when I left the driveway and was dead the first night we stopped for the evening! I have no power indicator light on the fireplace and I have verified the plug has power. I stay connected to power at home and batteries where charging properly and fireplace was operating all the way up to departure. Any advice for these two issues either technical or how to minimize warranty time out of service during prime camping season. My 2 yrs. are up in August! P.S. the trip otherwise was awesome and boondocking was a great experience!
Pickledill is offline   Reply With Quote