Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-31-2018, 11:21 AM   #1

Foul Odor in water supply to fridge

So it is a rainy New Year's Eve in Indiana and I have an item that came up the end of the season that I have been pondering. Perhaps someone on here has experienced this or can offer some good advice.

Our 2016 Pinnacle 38FLSA has developed a foul odor smell with the water from the fridge. This includes the in the door water as well as the ice maker. On our last outing in October, the water from the residential fridge developed a rotten egg smell. If I didn't know better, I would say it was gases from the holding tanks. It caused the ice to smell. We didn't notice the smell from the kitchen or bathroom faucets. I have 2 theories and I want to know if I'm barking up the wrong tree:

1. We only went camping 7 times. Is it possible that the water filter in the fridge gets some mold from standing water because it is not used frequently?
2. I noticed when winterizing that the valves on the utility station are not perfectly aligned with the pictures and the valves being open or closed. I have to move them slightly until I hear the water flowing. Has anyone had to loosen the screw on the valve knobs and adjust the lever to line up with the open or closed position? If I'm right about this, what prevents odors from coming up the black tank flush valve where the "black" hose is connected?

I will do a thorough sanitizing of the system this Spring when I de-winterize the system. I was told to only change the outside Flo-Pro filter and the fridge filter once each year after de-winterizing. How often do you change your water filters? Also, have you ever changed out the Sure-flo pump strainer that is on inlet side of the water pump? It is about $15 at CW so I'm guessing it is something that should be changed periodically but I can't find anything in the manual on that part of the water system.

Looking forward to any knowledge or experiences you can share.
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:25 AM   #2

Is your CG on well water? If not properly chlorinated it will sour in the lines.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Is your CG on well water? If not properly chlorinated it will sour in the lines.
I didn't know that water could sour in the lines. Wouldn't this flush out with good water running through the system? Or does this sour the filters and replacing them is required?
Old 12-31-2018, 01:55 PM   #4
Site Team

I would start with the fridge water filter. It it's to expensive to replace maybe just bypass it to see if that fixes the smell.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:13 PM   #5

I would change both water filters.

Are you using a water hose designed for drinking water or a regular garden hose??
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
I would change both water filters.

Are you using a water hose designed for drinking water or a regular garden hose??
I'm using a Zero-G hose that I bought at CW. It says to be lead free and safe for drinking water.

https://www.campingworld.com/zerog-hose-25-x-1-2
Old 12-31-2018, 02:28 PM   #7

The only other thing are you turning ice maker to OFF when you get ready to leave campground?

Maybe bad water sitting in ice maker?

Let us know what you figure out...........
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:52 PM   #8

Backing up what Grumpy said. I used to have an ocean going cruising sailboat that carried 150 gallons of water. I kept the tanks where we used them for all our fresh water needs to include drinking. Before I would put water in the tanks I would let the hose run for several minutes and then fill a glass. I would check for any discoloration, bubbles, odor and then taste. Cleaning (sterilizing) at a remote place wasn't one of my favorite things to do.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:14 PM   #9

Are you permanently parked?

If not you should sanitize your tank(s) and lines with some bleach in the water thank pump it through the system. Several, ok, a lot of posts on how to do this. Use the search tool near the top of the page.

If you are always running off city or campground water as noted above it may not be treated with chlorine. If no chlorine, I would add some water to my tank, add chlorine and use that to purge and sanitize the lines. As to the pump filter if it is just to stop sand and debris the chlorine should be enough. If it is clear plastic and the filter looks bad you can replace it. Mine is fine metal mesh and unless blocked it is permanent.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:47 PM   #10

I always fill my fresh water tank from home. I have never had an issue before. But this is the first residential fridge I have had in an RV. That is why I am suspicious of the water going stale in the fridge filter. Do you know if there is a water reservoir on the fridge where it would keep cold water for the door dispenser? I thought that could be a source for stale water.

For now, the plan is to sanitize the system in the Spring and replace all the filters. I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:25 PM   #11
Site Team

I think it’s the same source as the ice maker.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETCrockett View Post
Do you know if there is a water reservoir on the fridge where it would keep cold water for the door dispenser?
The cold water source is usually just coiled or looped 1/4" plastic line in the bottom of the fridge, not a tank.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote