Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2017, 07:29 AM   #1

Front jack lube

Not sure if I posted this before.

Last winter I was having a problem with the front jacks. They would trip the breaker after 5sec of lifting and then had to wait until it reset and lift again. On the ODS I could access the top of the jack and pop the cover off to put some grease on the gears. On the DS there was no way to get at it other than trying to slide across the top of the genny bay. I cut a hole through the sideof the battery compartment to get at the jack and could remove the cover and add grease. Jack work great now. I used aluminum tape to cover the hole. I have no batteries in there so not worried about battery fumes.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #2
tld

I became concerned about properly lubricating my front landing gear jacks after I saw a failure of one on a neighbor's 5th wheel while I was overnighting at an RV park. I did a little research and discovered that a front landing gear jack failure more often occurs in the approximately 2 foot long threaded rod that is driven by the spider gears and actually lifts the rig. So, I contacted Lippert Components and asked them what they recommended. Their response was that I should remove the top cap and pour regular motor oil over the top of the spider gears so that it would run down the threaded rod, and the threaded collar that the rod goes through, which is located below the spider gears. They said pour just enough oil in so that I could see it dripping down onto the jack foot pads. Then cover the spider gears with grease and put the cap back on. And then, of course, run the jacks up and down several times. I did what they suggested but went a little further. I bought 3 feet of clear vinyl tubing (think it was an inch and a quarter or an inch and a half inside diameter), plugged one end, removed the landing gear foot pads, filled the tubing up to a little over half full of motor oil (that took just a little experimentation to get the right amount of oil into the tube, but now I will know next time) and inserted the tubing over the threaded rod until I hit the top and had a little oil running down the side of the tubing. At that point, I was absolutely sure that the everything was lubricated! Once you make the tube, which cost about $7 to do, the whole process is really easy and takes about 15 minutes to lube both jacks. I heard someone on a Youtube video say that eventually, your landing gear jacks will fail. I figure that doing this twice a year should go a long way toward avoiding (or at least delaying) a front landing jack failure.
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:22 PM   #3

tld, I'm assuming you could easily get at both of your jack top caps. I only had easy access to the ODS side jack. I may try the oil to see if I can lube the threaded rod as well. I only packed the gears with grease which improved it a lot. They were pretty dry.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:45 PM   #4
tld

No, couldn't get to both easily. Had to get to one cap by going through the battery compartment wall and one of the screws on that side was almost blocked by a crossbar and the other screw on that side I couldn't even see. Had to remove it by feel. It was a real pain in the butt. I only put back one screw on each cap so that removal would be a little easier next time.
tld is offline   Reply With Quote