Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2020, 06:45 PM   #1

Furnace and/or Converter issue

Hey all, I've been a member for some time and very much appreciate this forum. I live in Canada's Northwest Territories, and sold our 2013 Jayco Eagle bumper pull, upgraded to a brand new 2018 Pinnacle 37RLWS 5th wheel last fall. We had the new unit delivered a couple weeks ago from our closest Dealer 8 hours away to our seasonal spot on the lake, 10 minutes from home, and is plugged into shore power. As our temps are still quite cool -5 to +10 degrees Celsius, we have only been out a few times during the day loading up, getting prepped for glamping season. During these times the furnace has worked no problem, in fact, no issues with the unit...until this weekend when we decided to stay overnight. This is going to be lengthy, but I want to provide as much information on our troubleshooting so that someone may be able to shine a light on our root issue.

Night one - all is normal, furnace is running fine, often, as temps are just above freezing. At about 4am, wife wakes me to a very cool RV, furnace won't start. When you click on the gas heat on the digital display, all you hear is a click, no fan to start the process, nothing. Of course because of the cold temp that night below zero Celsius, the heat pump doesn't provide heat, so we just went home. Later that day, I called the dealership, spoke with a very helpful lady who walked me through a variety of troubleshooting steps to get the furnace running:

Propane - all tanks are full, turned them all off, removed them, ensured they were full, put back in place, opened valves, and bled the lines by boiling a kettle of water on the stove.
Pulled the fuse for the furnace for about a minute - replaced
Unplugged from shore power, batteries are at 75% - they should be at 100% as the unit has been plugged in to shore power for 2 weeks which could be a reason the furnace won't start - low voltage - possible converter issue?
Checked both batteries to ensure no loose connections - all connected properly, no loose connections.
I then opened up the small cover in the basement storage to access the furnace which was about 5 feet away, used a broom handle to reach the reset switch on top, not an easy task to reset. Went back inside, switched the heat on - and it kicked in. This whole process took a couple hours as we had tried the furnace after each step, narrowing down possibilities.

So now heat is running, all is good, we are back for our second evening. Temps are still cool +5 Celsius, heat running as it needs, no issues. About midnight, time for bed, my teen daughter is complaining about her ears ringing, she mentioned when the heat cut in, the ringing stopped, everyone went to sleep. 5am - heat isn't running, and we have cooled down, and when I turn the furnace on, it just clicks at the thermostat -no fan, same issue as the night before. So I go through my troubleshooting list, hit the reset switch, etc, and the furnace will not fire - just a click on the thermostat. It's not as cold as the night before so the heat pump works providing heat. But the noise of the heat pump wakes my daughter and her ears are ringing. I then pay attention and hear a faint very annoying ringing (like you've been to a concert and your ears won't stop ringing) - narrowed down to the fuse panel. I started cycling breakers and when I turned off the converter breaker, the ringing stopped. Cycle back on, and within a minute the ringing is back. As google is my friend, this ringing is a common issue, and some suggested turning on lights and the ringing goes away - tried that - ringing did not go away. We went home.

So, I have an intermittent furnace and not sure why, and the panel has that ringing sound - possible converter issue, and maybe the reason my batteries are not charging. I won't get the wife or daughter back in there until the ringing is gone and the heat is fixed.

Again, I apologize for the long story, but I figure the series of events can be very important with trying to narrow down the root cause of our issues.

I thank you in advance for your help. (typical Canadian eh?)
Northern Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:32 PM   #2

I know the frustration of problems with a new unit, I've bought two of the five I've owned new and both had problems. I suspect the battery issue is a loose connection, one of mine was at the circuit breaker near the battery. The output cables from the converter to the batteries could be loose. I would start with a multimeter checking voltage, compare the output at the converter to what you read at the batteries, that will tell if it's somewhere in between. The furnace sounds like the high temperature limit is faulting out, could be a bad limit sensor or lack of air flow to move the heat out of the heat exchanger. Check all registers to make sure they are open.

Tags
converter problem, furnace, pinnacle