Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2016, 06:53 AM   #1

Generators at the Rear

I have a 2005, 31' Designer Series. Part of my remodeling efforts is to have generator capability. I'm looking at purchasing two Honda EU 2000 generators, and mounting them on a platform welded to the frame at the rear of the RV. Combined, the generators weigh about a hundred pounds, plus whatever the carrier weighs. Is this a good approach? Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated.
Waynebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:44 AM   #2

The generators will be quieter if they are sitting on the ground.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:55 AM   #3

It certainly makes sense to us as it would make the rig just like our motorhome with an on board generator and fully self contained.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:48 AM   #4

I had this on my old 5th wheel. I created a grate that was welded to the rear frame to mount my generator, or whatever else. I even actually added a removable extension to allow me to mount my ATV on the rear of it. I had a dealer do this as to make sure that they would approve it would hold the weight. Worked very well and there was no balance issue at all. Oh sorry off tangent, back to the generator deal. My generator that I had for it was a Yamaha 7500. I made sure it was cable locked to the RV at all times. I actually had it cable locked as well as bolted to the grate via ubolts around the axles (That yamaha is on wheels). The one thing I would recommend to you is to make sure you build some sort of vibration absorption method for it. When I ran my generator mounted directly to the frame, you could feel the vibration of it in the entire rv. I ended up just moving it to the bed of the truck to get rid of the vibration.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:54 AM   #5

Thank you...I appreciate your input
Old 11-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #6

Thank you for the outstanding advice.....I had not thought about the vibration issue. But I would have figured it out the first night I used the generator while I tried to sleep. Thanks for saving me the hassle. If I may ask; how did you cover the generator when not in use? I'm aware of the need for proper ventilization... And I have an outstanding carpenter working with me, and was considering asking him to build some sort of removable wooden box, or one that will come apart when not running the generator. And if you have one, could you send me a picture. Thank you
Old 11-13-2016, 12:43 PM   #7

When I winterized, I took the generator off and stored it in the garage. During the season, it came with a cloth type cover that I just put over it when not in use. When I get home and back to my computer, I will look for a picture of it mounted to the RV, if I have one. I know that you may already have generators, but I HIGHLY recommend the yamahas with electric start...they have an optional wireless key fob. Using this, I was able to remotely start and stop my generator from inside the coach...no more going outside in robe and sandals and starting the generator in the morning. Also you get the benefit of a larger gas tank...I was able to run for 10 or so hours on a tank of gas running the AC the entire time in 105 degree weather. Yes they are a little expensive, but I don't have the most reliable power at my house out where I live, so when we have power failures, I also use this generator to run the heater, and fridge in the house. Made it worth it.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynebo View Post
Thank you for the outstanding advice.....I had not thought about the vibration issue. But I would have figured it out the first night I used the generator while I tried to sleep. Thanks for saving me the hassle. If I may ask; how did you cover the generator when not in use? I'm aware of the need for proper ventilization... And I have an outstanding carpenter working with me, and was considering asking him to build some sort of removable wooden box, or one that will come apart when not running the generator. And if you have one, could you send me a picture. Thank you
I carry a 3100 watt genny on the rear carrier of our fifth wheel. I made lockable chains that both eliminate accidental loss and will slow up theft. Yes, there s some vibration but it is minimal and certainly not excessive. I rarely take it off except to service the generator or if I'm running an AC for long periods of time. The only reason that I remove it then is not because of vibration but because its blowing exhaust on to additional batteries that I carry. What is excessive to one is not to another. I use a canvas cover when not in use. We are very happy with that setup. I have never saw an on board generator that doesn't have some vibration!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumper, exhaust, generator, honda, weight