Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2022, 05:18 PM   #41

I just plug them. Never had a problem.
Duramaxsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:43 PM   #42

I remember plugging polyglas and other bias ply tires and driving 130 140 mph, I'm still alive that could change in a few years
Old 11-27-2022, 09:44 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I remember plugging polyglas and other bias ply tires and driving 130 140 mph, I'm still alive that could change in a few years
Most people now don't know what your talking about. Unfortunately I do. Because I am old.
Duramaxsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:07 PM   #44

Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaxsky View Post
Most people now don't know what your talking about. Unfortunately I do. Because I am old.
I drove a set of 40k miles old Sears (Michellin) radials 155 mph as clocked by Oklahoma HiPo. (Not on radar, VASCAR) Record still stands since 3-17-1971 for highest speed for a speeding ticket in Muskogee County. No plugs or patches, just speed.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:13 PM   #45

GoodyearEndurance Tires

I've been a Goodyear Tire dealer for over 35 Years and we would patch that tire anytime with out there being any steel cord damage and i doubt there was. a good Radial patch done right will last a long time. They just don't want to be fair to customers. I wish you were at my store it would be fixed. Good Luck
tireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:06 AM   #46

I worked for Firestone tire company in the late 70’s to the late 80’s. We did so many tubes, plugs, patches and patches with plugs attached, I can’t recall a single “comeback” or reported failure!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 10:06 AM   #47

Maybe this is being overthought: it's now SELL, SELL, SELL. Not fix, fix, fix. Per the US Tire Manufacturer's Association, unless that dealer can show you why the tire is irreparable, it can be repaired and they spec the guidlines...endorsed from all the manufacturer members. That guy at the counter is measured on tire sales, repairs sold while they have your vehicle and so a tire repair doesn't help his income....you loose. https://www.ustires.org/tire-repair-basics

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 08:19 PM   #48

I know this is an old thread and new to the forum. Picking up our first Jayco 5er in 5 days after TT toy hauler last 4 years Reading the thread on fixing flats, and I just have to put this out there:

I run over 40 semis and 140 trailers, and have reduced OTR breakdowns from 3 to 7 per week to 2-3 per month using Liquitube. in 2015, the avg. cost of a tire replace on the road was $717.50. I don't know what it is now because it doesn't happen often enought to track. I will have liquitube in my 5er tires unless anyone can convince me not to. I have learned a lot from you guys as a lurker the last couple weeks, and look forward to learning a lot more.
Loaded-N-Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 07:51 AM   #49

That is very interesting
Old 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
I don't see why the tire couldn't be patched, and then have a tube placed inside the tire.

As a tire Design Engineer and Forensic Expert I see no reason to not do a Patch+Plug in a modern radial as long as the tire was never operated below the pressure needed to support the load.

I would NOT put a tube in a modern radial as it would increase the tire operating temperature. A Patch/Plug aka Combipatch is the current acceptable repair for tread area punctures under 1/4" diameter.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:19 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loaded-N-Rollin' View Post
I know this is an old thread and new to the forum. Picking up our first Jayco 5er in 5 days after TT toy hauler last 4 years Reading the thread on fixing flats, and I just have to put this out there:

I run over 40 semis and 140 trailers, and have reduced OTR breakdowns from 3 to 7 per week to 2-3 per month using Liquitube. in 2015, the avg. cost of a tire replace on the road was $717.50. I don't know what it is now because it doesn't happen often enought to track. I will have liquitube in my 5er tires unless anyone can convince me not to. I have learned a lot from you guys as a lurker the last couple weeks, and look forward to learning a lot more.

That might have worked for you but today the use of the aftermarket sealant that gets squirted through the valve will void any tire warranty and make the tire non-repairable.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:28 AM   #52

I have used liquid tire sealers in some farm equipment that sometimes gets mesquite thorns in the tire(s). It works "ok" for that purpose but any speed over about 20 mph causes a tire vibration that balancing the tire cannot correct for. My suggestion is that liquid tire sealers are best used for low speed vehicles
and perhaps off road vehicles. I haven't looked lately, but most auto parts stores used to sell a fix-a-flat can of sealer that would inflate the tire and seal it, I would highly recommend not using that though unless in an emergency, better to just air up the tire if it is a slow leak and hopefully you can make it to a tire shop for a proper repair. ~CA

BTW, a friend told me his new car didn't even come with a spare but did come with a factory fix-a-flat can... I don't remember what auto he told me he purchased as that was a year or two ago.
Old 03-01-2023, 12:24 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I have used liquid tire sealers in some farm equipment that sometimes gets mesquite thorns in the tire(s). It works "ok" for that purpose but any speed over about 20 mph causes a tire vibration that balancing the tire cannot correct for. My suggestion is that liquid tire sealers are best used for low speed vehicles
and perhaps off road vehicles. I haven't looked lately, but most auto parts stores used to sell a fix-a-flat can of sealer that would inflate the tire and seal it, I would highly recommend not using that though unless in an emergency, better to just air up the tire if it is a slow leak and hopefully you can make it to a tire shop for a proper repair. ~CA

BTW, a friend told me his new car didn't even come with a spare but did come with a factory fix-a-flat can... I don't remember what auto he told me he purchased as that was a year or two ago.
You are correct for Fix-a-flat and slime type products do cause balance issues because of the density of the compound. I have tested that on Liquitube, and it actually helps balance the tire because it stays liquid for the life of the tire. The trick here (there's always a trick) is using the right amount for the tire and the application. We have eliminated the use of other "bead" and bag style balancers, and do not use weights on drive or trailer tires because of it, and they run 70MPH with no vibration. Makes the tires run cooler too. It was actually a TX trucking company owner that showed me his heat data that convinced me of that. I have found multiple pallet nails in tires and pulled them out to watch it work, and it does - even a 1/2" bolt and a valve stem extension stuck in tires. For farm use, we used to have to air up irrigation pivot tires every 6 weeks or so do to slow leaks from dry rot/bead/whatever. Put this stuff in 3 years ago and haven't aired up any since. Another perceived con is that it interferes with TPMS. Our 2019 and newer trucks have factory TPMS, and we have not had any issues. I have pulled nails out of other trailer tires, lawn mower tires, atv tires, and it is a permanent fix. I also have a 4 year old wheelbarrow tire that I have punctured with an awl at least 500 times, and it is still holding air. I think you are correct about some products, and your experience with them is valid, but this is not the same product and shouldn't be lumped together with them. I know a lot of horse people that have some expensive trailers to carry fancy cargo that use it to protect their cargo and equipment. I don't think they would if it caused excessive vibration. Yes, we have still had tire failure, but we could trace it back to primarily driver error of curbing or flat-spotting tires that led to it. I just feel trailers are safer with the product than without and wanted to share it for others. None of us want to have a tire failure costing money, time and potentially damaging our rigs.
Old 03-01-2023, 12:35 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loaded-N-Rollin' View Post
You are correct for Fix-a-flat and slime type products do cause balance issues because of the density of the compound. I have tested that on Liquitube, and it actually helps balance the tire because it stays liquid for the life of the tire. The trick here (there's always a trick) is using the right amount for the tire and the application. We have eliminated the use of other "bead" and bag style balancers, and do not use weights on drive or trailer tires because of it, and they run 70MPH with no vibration. Makes the tires run cooler too. It was actually a TX trucking company owner that showed me his heat data that convinced me of that. I have found multiple pallet nails in tires and pulled them out to watch it work, and it does - even a 1/2" bolt and a valve stem extension stuck in tires. For farm use, we used to have to air up irrigation pivot tires every 6 weeks or so do to slow leaks from dry rot/bead/whatever. Put this stuff in 3 years ago and haven't aired up any since. Another perceived con is that it interferes with TPMS. Our 2019 and newer trucks have factory TPMS, and we have not had any issues. I have pulled nails out of other trailer tires, lawn mower tires, atv tires, and it is a permanent fix. I also have a 4 year old wheelbarrow tire that I have punctured with an awl at least 500 times, and it is still holding air. I think you are correct about some products, and your experience with them is valid, but this is not the same product and shouldn't be lumped together with them. I know a lot of horse people that have some expensive trailers to carry fancy cargo that use it to protect their cargo and equipment. I don't think they would if it caused excessive vibration. Yes, we have still had tire failure, but we could trace it back to primarily driver error of curbing or flat-spotting tires that led to it. I just feel trailers are safer with the product than without and wanted to share it for others. None of us want to have a tire failure costing money, time and potentially damaging our rigs.
I have never used "Liquitube", I will give that a try for my farm (ranch) equipment first and see how it works out then. My original thought was that it was just another "slime" product under another brand name but from what you are saying it is different. Thanks, ~CA
Old 03-01-2023, 12:44 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
That might have worked for you but today the use of the aftermarket sealant that gets squirted through the valve will void any tire warranty and make the tire non-repairable.
Why would you be getting a repair for a tire that the product has permanently sealed the puncture in? Repairs are not needed. It either works, or the damage is so extensive that it would be non-repairable anyway. What tire warranty? This product does not void warranties. I used to be of the same opinion until I saw the actual results. This old dog learned a new trick. Just sharing.