Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-13-2017, 11:58 PM   #1

Hot water leaks under kitchen sink

After a few hours after I turn on my electric water heater my hot water line under the kitchen sink starts to drip. Does anyone know if this is due to excess pressure build up? Is the water getting too hot? Would someone with experience please help? Thanks!

Bobby..
Bobmadras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:18 AM   #2

Bobby,

A couple of questions:
Have you been able to access the heater and the water lines to try and isolate where the leak is coming from? Could it just be a loose connection in the lines somewhere? If not the lines, could the leak be coming from a pressure release valve as the temperature increases?

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmadras View Post
After a few hours after I turn on my electric water heater my hot water line under the kitchen sink starts to drip. Does anyone know if this is due to excess pressure build up? Is the water getting too hot? Would someone with experience please help? Thanks!

Bobby..
I'm pretty sure that you are correct in your assumption about the pressure. I have a similar situation with my kitchen faucet. It develops a slow drip after the WH is turned on (I need to replace it). You should be able to tighten the water connection under the sink. On mine, it just hand tightens, no tool necessary or replace the washer in the connector.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:50 AM   #4

John,
The leak is at the joint where te hot water line conne ts to the kitchen faucet. It does not leak under normal conditions, but only after the hot water electic heater has been turned on for a few hours.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I'm pretty sure that you are correct in your assumption about the pressure. I have a similar situation with my kitchen faucet. It develops a slow drip after the WH is turned on (I need to replace it). You should be able to tighten the water connection under the sink. On mine, it just hand tightens, no tool necessary or replace the washer in the connector.
Thanks for confiirming. I had tried hand tightening and it stopped for a while then it started leaking again. I had told the dealer when I took it in for warranty repair but apparently they did not turn on the heater and so they stated there was mo leak after 12 hours.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #6

Had the same thing in my fiver a month ago. There was a pex fitting that connect the copper from the faucet to the water supply line. Its was just lose we used and adjustable wrench to tighten up. No more leak!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmadras View Post
Bobby..
Do you have a pullout faucet? We do and ours had a leak at the FAUCET end of the flexible line. The water followed the line back to the connection under the sink making the leak appear to be under the sink.

I tightened both ends of the flexible line and no more leak.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:13 PM   #8

I also ran into this under the kitchen sink. Tightened the fittings to remedy the problem. I had to do this twice over the course of 2 seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #9

I don’t think it’s a pressure thing due to heating the water but more likely the warmer water causes fittings to expand just enough to cause the drip. You might try some Teflon tape on the offending joint. If you are able I’d suggest tackling it yourself. I agree that the dealer should fix this under warranty but you told us how well their first attempt went. If they do actually attempt a fix it’ll probably be the “brute force” approach.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:28 PM   #10

I agree with Redhorse1 and if that doesn’t work you may need to replace the pex connection there. Don’t be shy on the amount of Teflon tape. I had a leak at the pex connection under the kitchen sink in my tt. I could not get the connection to stop slowly and consistently leaking (I may not have used enough Teflon tape) so I replaced the pex connection and problem solved. Replacing the pex connection was a bit challenging, because of the limited access space available to get to it.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
I also ran into this under the kitchen sink. Tightened the fittings to remedy the problem. I had to do this twice over the course of 2 seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. I shall try tightening again. I was scared of overtightening.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Do you have a pullout faucet? We do and ours had a leak at the FAUCET end of the flexible line. The water followed the line back to the connection under the sink making the leak appear to be under the sink.

I tightened both ends of the flexible line and no more leak.
Thanks. Do you mean the sprayer? Yes that does pull out. I shall check that connection too. The hot water fitting is also in a very odd place and so cannot use both hands to tighten it. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2017, 06:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I don’t think it’s a pressure thing due to heating the water but more likely the warmer water causes fittings to expand just enough to cause the drip. You might try some Teflon tape on the offending joint. If you are able I’d suggest tackling it yourself. I agree that the dealer should fix this under warranty but you told us how well their first attempt went. If they do actually attempt a fix it’ll probably be the “brute force” approach.

RedHorse,
Thanks! I did not think about using teflon because this did not seem to be a NPS fittng, but I shall try that because I am worried that I will forget to turn of the water heater and will end up with a drenched kitchen floor. Thanks again!
Old 12-17-2017, 06:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwhit View Post
I agree with Redhorse1 and if that doesn’t work you may need to replace the pex connection there. Don’t be shy on the amount of Teflon tape. I had a leak at the pex connection under the kitchen sink in my tt. I could not get the connection to stop slowly and consistently leaking (I may not have used enough Teflon tape) so I replaced the pex connection and problem solved. Replacing the pex connection was a bit challenging, because of the limited access space available to get to it.
Thank you very much for your advice and if this does not work I shall ask Jayco to replece the pex connection. I too think Redhorse is right that what we may be seeing is some expansion due to the higher temperature. I am anyway curious as to the pressure rating of these fittings and the RV plumbing to ensure that I am way below that pressure using my pressure regulator. Do you know the normal pressure rating?

Tags
hot water, water leak