Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-11-2021, 10:41 AM   #1

I'm looking for Insulation ideas

We have a 34ft 2015 Jayco Eagle 5th Wheel at an annual camp ground site at our local lake. We don't travel with it or move it, it's more of a lake camper / second home for us....to be honest we are at it more than we are in our actual house. Our lake contract will not allow us any skirting around the rv's or anything that impedes the rv. I was just wondering what are some things you have done to better insulate your RV's, whether it be extreme or simple things....especially from the Cold. Protecting the water lines from freezing is my main goal.
cwbysfan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:22 AM   #2

I added a 5/8” closed cell foam flooring that come in 2x2 squares and go together like a puzzle.
Attached Thumbnails
5E76BAFD-B5F9-4E07-8E73-7D17051EAA28.jpg  
Old 02-11-2021, 12:13 PM   #3

I added a few layers of foiled foam in the underbelly to add some R value. I used two layers of this - https://www.amazon.com/SmartSHIELD-5...s%2C163&sr=8-2

would have preferred the 10mm, but they didnt have it at the time.

Also, seal up around the various holes in the frame and coroplast.
atlantaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:52 PM   #4

Pick up some duct insulation. Basically it is bubble wrap coated on both sides with silver Mylar. We cut pieces to stop sun heat and fading the summer but found it was great to slide it up behind the shades in cold weather on our single pane windows.

You may not want to use it in all your windows but even a couple will save a lot of heat. Also used it to block skylights and ceiling vents that we did not need in the cold.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:13 PM   #5

I actually used that same insulation from the basement project in my windows too. The 5mm depth was literally a perfect fit for the glass/frame gap for the frameless windows. fits snug, nothing else needed to hold it in place. Made a big difference in cold weather.
atlantaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbysfan76 View Post
We have a 34ft 2015 Jayco Eagle 5th Wheel at an annual camp ground site at our local lake. We don't travel with it or move it, it's more of a lake camper / second home for us....to be honest we are at it more than we are in our actual house. Our lake contract will not allow us any skirting around the rv's or anything that impedes the rv. I was just wondering what are some things you have done to better insulate your RV's, whether it be extreme or simple things....especially from the Cold. Protecting the water lines from freezing is my main goal.
Probably the best insulation for the water lines and underside would be to open the Coroplast and put fiberglass bats on top of it. Especially if you don’t move it, you wouldn’t have to worry about it shifting and you could have it pretty thick between the cross beams. In most of the area you could have several inches of fiberglass and I would think that would be a lot better than reflectix.