Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2018, 09:30 AM   #41

[QUOTE=BigJohnD;358271]Nice install. I sure wish they'd offer a gas version in the non-toy hauler fifth wheels.

I have a factory installed Onan 5500 EVAP gas in my 2010 Designer 35RLTS. I love it and am glad I have it vs propane since I do use it a bit and gas is a lot easier to get and carry when boondocking which I do several times a year. I always keep stabilizer in the non-ethanol gas and run it for 1 hour with a load on it every month and NEVER fail to do this. 8 years and 460'ish hours on it and it has never failed me.

Jayco should offer this option again IMHO.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:43 PM   #42

Hi Tim&Paula...

I am so glad I found this thread! I live in Southern California.. but I recently "moved" to Washington state for a new contract. Being that I plan on living here for the time being I bought a 2019 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS. it did have the prep package... I am very handy... and would love to install the unit myself.. as the dealer here wants almost $6000 for the 5500W unit.. and almost $8000 for the 6500W unit... and then another 2-4K for an install... I see where I can get those online for 4-6K...

Did you buy the exhaust? or make it?
I haven't taken delivery of mine yet.. I'm waiting for a spot to open up in a local RV park to park it.. That being said.. I can't go look in it.. at the moment to see exactly what it has

Should I need any of the wiring kits? or pretty much just the generator? Did you buy an extra's

Thanks so much!!
John
jspfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:04 AM   #43
tec

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspfeffer View Post
Hi Tim&Paula...

I am so glad I found this thread! I live in Southern California.. but I recently "moved" to Washington state for a new contract. Being that I plan on living here for the time being I bought a 2019 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS. it did have the prep package... I am very handy... and would love to install the unit myself.. as the dealer here wants almost $6000 for the 5500W unit.. and almost $8000 for the 6500W unit... and then another 2-4K for an install... I see where I can get those online for 4-6K...

Did you buy the exhaust? or make it?
I haven't taken delivery of mine yet.. I'm waiting for a spot to open up in a local RV park to park it.. That being said.. I can't go look in it.. at the moment to see exactly what it has

Should I need any of the wiring kits? or pretty much just the generator? Did you buy an extra's

Thanks so much!!
John
I’m also looking at installing a generator in my Eagle 336FBOK, which has the dry camping pkg, it has the wires for the remote start stop and hour meter, the panel-is inside the 5er, and it has a electric box in the generator compartment, and LP hose is tied off just behind the compartment. I hope you get a reply as I see this thread was last updated almost a year ago. If you find out anything please share. I’m trying to decide between the propane or just getting a gas tank for gas. I have found exhaust kits on amazon for the Onan.
tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:23 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoojs12840 View Post
Still have room for three battery's and a whole shelve to store the sewer hose connections and hose for the black tank flush

Attachment 21006

If you ever want to know if a Jayco has the prep for a gas generator look at the front storage, you will see the unleaded only sign.
Attachment 21007
Can you take a close up of that sticker on the tank? Wanted to find out who makes that tank.

Also how hard is it to fill up?
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:12 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim&paula View Post
I installed a Onan 5500 evap generator last week in my 2015 pinnacle. Jayco really did a great job with the prep. Everything worked perfectly. The hardest part was getting it in the compartment. I used a transmission jack with plywood attached as a base. Placed the generator on furniture slides and pushed it in. Worked out nice. The wiring was just plug and go on the controls and used wire nuts on the 120.
have a 2016 north point. generator prep. i also put a onan in. no problems, its running and can start it from inside the camper. the onan has three bare wires, white, green, blk. the fire box in the generator compartment has four wires, ground, white, blk, red. i connected green to the ground. white to white, that leaves the blk and red on the camper side. and a blk wire on the onan. could you please tell me how you did your wiring, i can't get power to the camper with the generator running. i assume i just start the generator and it powers the camper. the converter switch is automatic, thanks
jspradlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:11 AM   #46

Hello . I pick up 5th wheel from storage on Tuesday. I will look as I can’t remember what I did. Message me at joeld373@gmail.com if you are still interested.
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:25 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspradlin View Post
have a 2016 north point. generator prep. i also put a onan in. no problems, its running and can start it from inside the camper. the onan has three bare wires, white, green, blk. the fire box in the generator compartment has four wires, ground, white, blk, red. i connected green to the ground. white to white, that leaves the blk and red on the camper side. and a blk wire on the onan. could you please tell me how you did your wiring, i can't get power to the camper with the generator running. i assume i just start the generator and it powers the camper. the converter switch is automatic, thanks
What Onan did you install? It should have two line breakers, which should have two black wires, a white and green.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:29 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
What Onan did you install? It should have two line breakers, which should have two black wires, a white and green.
Earl
Sure sounds like he bought a 4000 and not a 5500..
Old 10-13-2019, 09:29 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspradlin View Post
So I suspect your RV has 50 amp plug, which is 240V 50 amp, because you have 4 wires. Your didn't mention the size of your generator but it sounds as if its 120 volt only with because its 3 wires.

Now how would I wire this up... I would also check both ends of wires just to verify green is ground and white is Neutral and Red and or black are hooked up as hot wires. Again verify as anything could have been done wiring up a trailer.
most of it depends on how many Watts the generator is and what all you want to run, but most if not all trailers only have 110V items so not having 240V isn't an issue. The only issue is lack of watts to potentially run everything.

In theory you could wire the Red and Black to the black on your generator and if you have enough watts you can run everything. this would be the same situation if you plunged your 50 amp cord into a 30 amp pedestal the adapter hooks up both Hot wires. Most likely you wont have enough watts.

The other option is you pick one and see what works or wont, a lot of this will depend on how the RV is wired.

How many Watts is your generator?
Do you have a washer dryer?
Do you have 2nd AC?
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote