Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2024, 07:45 PM   #1

Inverter issue.?? I think... HELP

I have a 2018 Jayco 355 MBQS which I purchased new. Had some minor warranty issues along the way but nothing major. I have the forever warranty which covers all the major appliances on the rig.
I am currently having an issue and need some help please.
The inverter is a Xantrex Freedom X 1200 Sine Wave.
The residential ref stopped working. I got an electrician to help me trouble shoot the problem. I cannot get to the ref plug. One day when I went to check on the RV the ref was turning on and then off, on and then off, and kept repeating the cycle. I thought the ref was just the issue but since that time have began second guessing that. The checked both batteries on the rig and they test good. TOday we did the trouble shootinhg and this is what we discovered. The slideout that has the ref, stove , TV seems to have lost the neutral in the electrical circuit. With the MAIN in the breaker box turned off there is still 120 volts to the plug by the stove and the plug behind the TV that powers the electric heater. It will not run anything like a hair dryer or TV. So I am thinking that is why the Ref is not working. Another issue is with the MAIN BREAKER off there is still 120 volts to those plugs. Where are these plugs fused? I mean you would think once the MAIN is switched off everything would be off but those plugs still have 120 volts. The ground is present but no neutral. The electrician said he couldn't believe there wasn't some type fusing for those plugs. He seems to think the only thing that would keep someone from being electrocuted would be the shore power 50 amp breaker at the RV Park. He said he don't have the wiring diagram but was in somewhat disbelief.
Does the Inverter carry the Neutral? Could the Inverter be the problem?
It appears that only the plugs powered by the inverter have lost the neutral. All the other plugs work fine as long as I am on shore power. The inverter switches back and forth like normal when I disconnect shore power the inverter switches the battery.

Any thoughts??? I want to say thanks for reading my post and any insight would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Ronn
ronnieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 08:24 PM   #2

Sounds like your inverter was on, that is why you saw 120 volts. The main breaker will not turn off the inverter.

Yes the neutral wire goes through inverter. I would find inverter and check all the wires in and out of the inverter and the connections of those wires in the inverter. They have been know to have bad connections.

Please report back.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 08:41 PM   #3

More info

Has 120 volts from hot to ground but 4 volts from hot to neutral.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:41 PM   #4

Has 120 volts from hot to ground but 4 volts from hot to neutral.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:42 PM   #5

Has 120 volts from hot to ground but 4 volts from hot to neutral. not sure whats going on
Old 03-18-2024, 09:45 PM   #6

To isolate, turn off inverter and plug in shore electric. Everyhting should work. Then unplug shore power (leave inverter off including any inside on/off inverter switches) and run on generator. Everything should work. Providing all circuit breakers are good and fuses. Then try all 12 volt circuits with inverter OFF. If all systems are working without inverter then inverter is going tango uniform. The fridge can be isolated, just unplug (usually under the bottom drawer - pull drawers out) and then plug in with an extension cord from house. Give it all a try before spending money.
I have heard that one individual had a electrical socket go bad and that screwed his system, just one electrical socked because of how it was wired. Dunno.
Edutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 08:19 PM   #7

Thanks

Well my brother who is an electrician attacked the issue with the RV today. Jayco sent me the wiring diagrams via email. We looked at the diagrams but they only showed the locations of the plugs, lights, fuse box etc. There was not diagram that showed the routing of the wiring and what fed what. We call Jayco and learned that they had sent all they had and no routing diagram was available. We started at the front just off the Inverter. The crazy boxes that are used for junctions are just accidents waiting to happen. I mean I was really let down to see such poor connections.....There was not a wire nut in sight!! There were two wires running from the inverter to the RV. The first junction box was good. We then opened the second box and there we found the issue. One of the neutrals was just lying on top of the other neutral in this crazy looking "electrical box" if I dare call it that. My brother discarded the boxes and made the connection in a real junction box with real connectors. We tested everything and finally everything was working correctly. We then put everything back into place and finished up the job. We did find out that the only personal protection on the power out side of the inverter is GFCI plugs. There are not fuses or breakers.
Thanks for everyones help and insights! Our luck was good for one day...lol

Ronn
Old 03-20-2024, 07:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieb View Post
Well my brother who is an electrician attacked the issue with the RV today. Jayco sent me the wiring diagrams via email. We looked at the diagrams but they only showed the locations of the plugs, lights, fuse box etc. There was not diagram that showed the routing of the wiring and what fed what. We call Jayco and learned that they had sent all they had and no routing diagram was available. We started at the front just off the Inverter. The crazy boxes that are used for junctions are just accidents waiting to happen. I mean I was really let down to see such poor connections.....There was not a wire nut in sight!! There were two wires running from the inverter to the RV. The first junction box was good. We then opened the second box and there we found the issue. One of the neutrals was just lying on top of the other neutral in this crazy looking "electrical box" if I dare call it that. My brother discarded the boxes and made the connection in a real junction box with real connectors. We tested everything and finally everything was working correctly. We then put everything back into place and finished up the job. We did find out that the only personal protection on the power out side of the inverter is GFCI plugs. There are not fuses or breakers.
Thanks for everyones help and insights! Our luck was good for one day...lol

Ronn
Glad you found it...just what I expected.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 07:07 PM   #9

Ronnieb, great summary, very educational.

Did you take any pictures. Would be nice to see.
RDTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 07:37 AM   #10

Wait!!! Back the bus up!!
What is a forever warranty??

My Smoker Adventure:
I bought a really cool small smoker, if interested PM me.
Spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 07:51 AM   #11

X2 what spower said!
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote