Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-17-2019, 09:32 AM   #1

Jayco Climate shield question

So I have a 2015 Jayco Eagle 33.5rets, I havent owned this for very long at all but I remember when I was looking to buy a 5th wheel I watched this video about the jayco climate shield and thought it was pretty good. My question to you all is what temperature does your rig get on the inside when it's not being used with neither AC or heat on, just doors closed / windows closed and not being used. I had to get some stuff out of mine lastnight and it was about 28 degrees outside and 32 inside the RV. Is that normal? I'm interest on what the temp will be during the summer months!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
cwbysfan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:47 AM   #2

It’s going to be pretty much like any other vehicle with the windows up and no airflow. It’s going to hold about the same temperature as the air outside unless the sun is beating down on it. In direct sunlight it will be just like a car, soaking up all that heat and no way to dissipate it. I’ve seen temps in my closed up camper max out my thermostat at 99 degrees in the summer sun. In the winter it’s as cold inside as it is outside. It might hold a little heat from sunshine but other than that it will always be a few degrees slower to warm up and a few degrees slower to cool down.
This is the reason I installed vent covers and leave my thermostatic controlled Fantastic Fan on all year. It keeps the camper from holding in heat and keeps air moving so it’s not stale or moist in humid weather. If you leave it closed up and don’t give it air to breathe expect high temps inside in the summer.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:10 PM   #3

There is always a lag in temperature either up or down due to the insulation in the trailer. If the temperature outside remained constant outside over time they will be the same. Leaving the roof vents open all the time is a good idea. We do it on ours.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:22 PM   #4

We’ve camped in our 1st TT (hybrid TT) and our current 5th (39’) with temps dipping into the upper 20’s at night. I think both have a “4 season” insulation. No freezing problems if the daytime temps hit the mid 40’s. At night we use an electric space heater set to 50 deg and the furnace thermo set about 5 deg lower. After a cool night in the 5th I got a 2nd space heater since it is quite a bit longer than the first TT. In cold weather we keep a nice down comforter on the bed, keeps us warm at night. In storage there’s no heat or cooling but I have a vent cover and leave the vent open all the time like John. If we have Extended freezing weather in the forecast I will winterize.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:57 PM   #5

(These are just possible sceneries, not actual) I bought my Jayco because it was darn hot outside (90) and the Jayco was still cool while other brands I looked at were hot inside.

If an rv is just sitting locked up for a week in the winter, it will be close to the same temp inside as out no matter what type of insulation it has.

I think to judge how the rv holds temp is if on day one it’s at 60 degrees outside in the morning and it’s all shut up while the outside hits 90, I found Jayco to warm to 75 while others may hit 95. On day 7 it might warm up to 90+.

Same for cold, if it’s 70 “inside” at bedtime on day one and outside drops to 30, the Jayco may be at 50 in the morning while others may be at 40. On day 7 they may both be in the 30’s.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbysfan76 View Post
So I have a 2015 Jayco Eagle 33.5rets, I havent owned this for very long at all but I remember when I was looking to buy a 5th wheel I watched this video about the jayco climate shield and thought it was pretty good. My question to you all is what temperature does your rig get on the inside when it's not being used with neither AC or heat on, just doors closed / windows closed and not being used. I had to get some stuff out of mine lastnight and it was about 28 degrees outside and 32 inside the RV. Is that normal? I'm interest on what the temp will be during the summer months!!

4-Season, Climate Shield - It's all sales gimmicks, silver tongues and snake oil I tell ya!

All kidding aside, my 5'r is supposed to be setup with climate protection. More insulation, underbelly cover with heating, dual glass windows, etc. Yada-yada-yada. Don't get me wrong but let's be realistic - we're talking about an overpriced trailer. The build quality is NOT that of a house, unless we're talking about the single wide granny lived in. There's only so much you can do to protect yourself from the outside. Because SCIENCE

My rig has central heat, an electric fireplace, dual 15k AC units, slide out covers/awning, etc. and regulating temps can still be tricky. Sometimes I wonder if Yeti could make a decent trailer? (hmm) I've seen the temp hit 78'F with direct sunlight and it feels like 80'F inside (windows open). We're in TEXAS where summers have a reputation for being triple digit. I can't say I'm too excited to see how that works out but even 80'F will seem cool when it's 100'F outside.

So back to Earth and off the soap box. It's a box on wheels and you do your best to make it comfortable. Happy Camping!
Old 12-19-2019, 09:10 PM   #7

No sugar coating there
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbysfan76 View Post

Yep, its normal. It is like your detached garage or shed. The temp will follow what ever the temperature is outside. It just maybe a few hours behind.

In theory you have more insulation (not sure how much more), which slows the heat lose/gain. The temperatures inside and outside want to equalize.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote